SMC Discussion Areas
May 03, 2024, 03:05:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Replacing Door Glass in a USS-64  (Read 12245 times)
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« on: February 03, 2013, 09:12:22 pm »

I got new glass from Funtronics for my Cavalier USS-64.  It is fairly inexpensive, not tough to swap out and it makes a world of difference.  Here's how you do it:

Tools needed:
- Philips screwdriver
- Awl (optional, but I found it helpful)
- Foam Rubber Tape (3/4" wide by 7/16" thick).  This comes in a 10' roll at your local home improvement store for under $4.00

Here's a picture of the tape I used:
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 09:30:11 pm by jholmgren » Logged

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 09:15:11 pm »

I mentioned new glass from Funtronics.   Rod and Janet do a great job in packing this glass for shipping.  It comes double-boxed with plenty of bubble-wrap and packing peanuts.  I've had Waterford crystal delivered that was less well packed!

VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 09:19:38 pm »

Start by removing the old glass.  To do so, open the door and locate/remove the 4 Philips screws on the edge.  

These screws hold the thin metal retainer bar in place.  With the screws removed, pull the retainer bar out (a flat screwdriver could help here) and the glass should push in from the outside.  Be careful, that glass may have been in place for 40 years, if it seems really stuck, wear a pair of gloves - just in case.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 09:25:33 pm by jholmgren » Logged

VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 09:21:16 pm »

Check out the difference in the old (left) and new (right) glass:
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 09:26:04 pm by jholmgren » Logged

VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 09:24:52 pm »

Next, unroll two strips of tape and stick one to each long end of the new glass.  This will fill the gap between the glass frame and the door frame.   Peel the white tape off before installing the glass - I left it on so it showed up in the pic.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 01:27:23 pm by jholmgren » Logged

VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 09:29:33 pm »

At this point, you should be able to put the new glass in place.  Start by angling it in toward the hinge and place the metal retaining bar on the new glass before you work it into place.

An awl can help shift the retaining bar slightly to line up the screw holes for re-installation.  Put the screws back in (or replace with clean new sheet metal screws) and you are all set!

VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 10:06:43 pm »

Great info!!
Thanks
Creighton
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 10:10:18 pm »

Great how-to!  Thanks for taking the time to snap a few photos of the process.

My only advice after doing a few is to have a friend hold the door open when you insert the new glass and retaining bar, four hands are always better than two.  I only say this from experience, as I had the door snap back on me and fling the new glass out shattering the two new panes...

Blind1968
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 12:19:50 am »

Awesome Thanks

~ Bryan
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 08:09:09 am »

Great how-to!  Thanks for taking the time to snap a few photos of the process.

My only advice after doing a few is to have a friend hold the door open when you insert the new glass and retaining bar, four hands are always better than two.  I only say this from experience, as I had the door snap back on me and fling the new glass out shattering the two new panes...

Great point.  I used a combination of my knee and my 13 year-old son, but yes a second pair of hands is a huge help!

VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 10:07:48 am »

I may be old fashioned, but have fewer mishaps when I take a few minutes to remove the door.
      That new glass looks so clean, especially when a light shines from behind it.

Glen
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 01:11:18 pm »

Great tutorial.  I need to do the same on my USS 64.  Is the replacement glass sealed double pane?  The original has holes in the panes which in my case has allowed a spider to take up residency between the glass!

drinking Tim drinking
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 01:33:37 pm »

Great tutorial.  I need to do the same on my USS 64.  Is the replacement glass sealed double pane?  The original has holes in the panes which in my case has allowed a spider to take up residency between the glass!

drinking Tim drinking

Hi Tim - thanks, it is really easy, quick and makes a huge difference, especially when lit - as MoonDawg mentions.   

Yes, the replacement glass is double-pane, sealed on all four edges by a nice thick soft plastic/rubbery gasket.  The Replacement glass, with shipping charges and the insulated tape is less than $60 total.

VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: