SMC Discussion Areas
May 18, 2024, 09:46:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Charging a Westinghouse compressor questions  (Read 3936 times)
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« on: July 03, 2010, 05:51:07 pm »

I have a Westinghouse standard that needs a freon charge, so here's a few questions.  The unit has a couple charge valves on it, is it worth it to just go grab some R134 from an auto store and charging it up to see if it works better?  Is this going to cause any problems?  I assume I should swap out the valve stems if I do give it try.  The machine sat for over 20 years, so I am not sure it has any leaks, I figured that I'd give it a good check once it is charged.

johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 07:50:08 pm »

Do NOT add R 134a to an R12 system, it will react with the old refrigerant & oil , and probably seize up your compressor, besides the point that it's " Illegal " to do so ( mix refrigerants ) & without a gauge  set to determine how much ( or how little) charge is in the system, you could fudge it up pretty good. And if you accidentally try to tap into the high pressure side of the system, you could rupture the can ( this means it will explode)

Assuming the system is discharged, there's a leak somewhere that will need fixing, (probably one of the multiple clamp-on line taps you've found ) You could use old-stock R12 if you have it or an R12 substitute, like freeze-12, (Hot-shot /R414a is a good substitute, but you'll need to be licensed to purchase it. ) I don't like frost12/ enviro-12 as it's basically butane & flammable.  
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 07:52:40 pm by johnieG » Logged

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 07:57:37 pm »

Thanks, that was the answer I was looking for, I figured it wasn't as easy as I thought.  With not knowing the history of the compressor, I'm going to assume that I can figure out the type of refrigerant by checking the thread on the ports?  I did some research and found that the R134a is a 1/2 - 16 thread, so I'll have to check that when I get a chance tomorrow.

What's a decent price that I should look for to get this leak tested and charged?  Should I just call up the guys that do my house A/C to get it done?

johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 08:54:47 pm »

"home" AC techs may only use R22 or nowadays it will be the newer R410 , & but they may take a look at it for you.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 08:16:58 am »

My guy charges $150 to diagnose' fix leaks, replace filter/dryer, vacuum and recharge. I figure that s a great price.
Yarochrehc
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 10:15:55 am »

Not a bad price Josh, and as JohnieG says it's not as easy as it sounds to do a proper job.

Bob

Restored
Vendo H63B  Coke in use in basement
Original
Vendo V/VF63/7  Pepsi in use

Restoring: Glascock Standard
(2) Vendo 63
(2)Vendo 90
Vendo 126  waiting for paint
VMC 56
Westinghouse WE-6
Pages: [1]   Go Up