SMC Discussion Areas
May 15, 2024, 02:49:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Picture of V63 with refer deck removed,...  (Read 5116 times)
V63

« on: May 24, 2012, 10:09:03 am »

Hello,
 I would appreciate an image of a Vendo 63 with the refer deck removed.   I expected to see the drain hole but it appears that mine has another hole about the diameter of a quarter.  I've felt around the hole and fished around inside with my finger,......It seems to me that this hole does not serve any known purpose and all that can come from it might be bad.

Pictures, thoughts,

Thanks,
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 11:20:43 am by V63 » Logged
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 11:23:17 am »

It's called "Rust"  tounge it's not uncommon for the V63's evap' mounting holes to rot out & the indentation for them is about the size of a quarter coin

post a pic'

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
V63

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 12:29:42 pm »

Believe it or not I haven't the ability to post an image, at least for now.   No doubt you're correct.  The rest of the machine is is such good condition, I feel confident that it's never been outdoors for any significant amount of time.  I'm not doing a "Ground up" restoration because it's in such good condition but the rust hole does throw a bit of a wrench in my plans.

Now to sort out as good a patch as can be mustered without removing the liner,.....   (again I'm open to suggestions)

Thanks for the reply.
Best regards,
Jacko1070
10 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 02:49:27 pm »

My V63 was indoor use at a garage and then indoor stored for several years before I picked it up.  When I got it the condensation would just sit in the base pan....get a pipecleaner or short piece of metal hanger and fish it down.  Mine was literally caked with rust flakes so that the water couldn't go down.  Fished it all out and works like a champ.
V63

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 03:37:40 pm »

Cleaning out the drain hole as well as a new hose is in the near future. There's little doubt that Johnie is spot on with his diagnosis of the evaporator mounting holes rusting out and eventually falling out altogether.

Now I've pondering how to repair the hole without removing the liner.   I've got a couple of ideas but I'm happy to learn more from those who have gone before,...

Thank you.
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 04:35:29 pm »

Maybe have a large piece of copper pipe flanged, then reduce down to the bottom hole size then down to plastic drain hose size.

Glen
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 06:29:40 pm »

Well it is on the mickey mouse side of repairs and by no means "professional" but works.

Cut around the rust hole in a rectangle (dremal). Make hook out of wire and pull out all the wet crappy insulation. Sandpaper and acetone wipe the bottom of the liner around the rectangle. Poke in new insulation.

Cut new metal patch that is larger than the rectangle by a 1/2". Poke one or two finish nails through the patch head down.
Coat patch edges with JB weld and put the patch in. Vise grips on the nails and shims to pull the patch tight. Let JB weld cure.
Dremal off the nail shafts. Flow solder or overlay with fiberglass. Sand and paint. Done.

Creighton

johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 09:06:59 pm »

Believe it or not I haven't the ability to post an image, at least for now.   No doubt you're correct.  The rest of the machine is is such good condition, I feel confident that it's never been outdoors for any significant amount of time.  I'm not doing a "Ground up" restoration because it's in such good condition but the rust hole does throw a bit of a wrench in my plans.

Now to sort out as good a patch as can be mustered without removing the liner,.....   (again I'm open to suggestions)

Thanks for the reply.
Best regards,

If it is just an enlarge evap' coil mounting hole that would have secured the corner flange of the front left side of the coil housing to the floor of the liner/tank, you may be able to use a rubber/expanding "well-nut" which will do two things for our situation, 1st it will fill & secure the rusted out hole, 2nd it will provide you with a means to secure the evap' coils mounting screw back to the floor of the liner without removing the liner.

But there are limits to the diameter that the "well-nut" can handle, typically the size in diameter of an American 5-cent/nickel coin. you can find them ( well-nuts) at Lowes or Home Depot stores in the hardware drawers down in the hardware isle, sometime they are referred to as rubber / expanding nuts.  here's quick Google search result....

http://www.google.com/#q=well+nuts&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=imvns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=2ui-T5bJHNOEsAKj2InNCQ&sqi=2&ved=0CLQBEK0E&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=1429de5fade86fa3&biw=983&bih=494
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 09:09:45 pm by johnieG » Logged

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
V63

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 08:36:49 am »

First off, thank you for these insightful suggestions.  I'm going to spend some time with it this weekend and I'm sure I'll be back with some more questions.

Best regards,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: