SMC Discussion Areas
May 20, 2024, 07:18:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Opinion of Paint  (Read 5965 times)
7-upslider
5 Cent Member

« on: January 30, 2009, 12:07:43 am »

Hey guys,

I've got an embossed 55 slider that i've gotten prepped and ready for paint, but have been thinking of doing something different with the coloring scheme than the vintage look.. Looking for opinions on if INVERTING the colors of the original look, would be cool and worth my time.. here is an example of what i mean... just looking for opinions good or bad on this idea.. thanks

jonny
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 06:50:02 am »

I would keep playing with color substitution in your photo image program until you get something you like...
Personally, I'm an "original look" person with regards to soda machines/coolers...
I did have the opportunity to see an all black V-39 w/ white lettering one time and did not like it, but that's me... For a possible re-sale down the road, unusual paint schemes seems to discourage potential buyers that do not want to get into re-painting a machine to get it back to original.

My six cents,

Jim

Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 07:25:19 am »

There was an ideal slider  floating  on Ebay a few years  back, that  was painted green, instead of white, just didn't do it for me.
Personally, I'd  leave it closer to original,  but as Jim said, that's  my opinion.   The bottom line is  it's your machine, and the only who has to like it is you.

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
Pat Pixley
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 07:52:22 am »

I have to agree with the majority I do like a original looking machine ,
But with that being said maybe a little bit lighter green would work
and don't do the white it just does not look right stick with the black

maybe add some white pin striping.

Here is a example of the green I'm talking about
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 10:55:01 am »

I have a buddy with an all green Seven up slider,, I'll see if I can get a photo.. doesnt' look too bad... personally I like the white with the logo, and then add the detail on the side of the logo like you see on many.. that adds alot..
but like it's been said, it's YOUR Machine, do what you like, but if your doing it for resale, most people won't by "Customized" machines as they are "Customized" for you, not them.

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
7-upslider
5 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 12:53:17 pm »

Thanks guys I appreciate the comments! re-sale isn't really in my mind as I don't believe I will be selling it anytime soon.  I only asked because I like being different than the crowd and i've only ever seen the 7-up sliders as white, which i guess they should be considering that is the original color scheme!  We'll see what the wife likes and will match her "decor" haha and that may be the final decision! Thanks again guys.
zadd
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 06:47:22 pm »

I think the guy with the green slider still has it . It went from $2000 to $1200 he's out of Colorado I think . Here's the one I did  biggrin

Zadd
Dr Pepper Queen Anne Bottle Machine
Dr Pepper Queen Anne Can Machine
7up Ideal 55 slider
Vendo 81D
VMC 33D
Nehi Pelco Koolie
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 09:46:05 pm »

re-sale isn't really in my mind as I don't believe I will be selling it anytime soon. 

This is a quote we hear quite often from people restoring their first machine. Very soon a better machine comes along and again the challenge kicks in. Unless you have an unlimited amount of money, the result is, you are stuck with that old "white elephant" that you can only sell at an un-restored price since the new buyer will want the paint stripped and re-done the proper colors. (What a waste of your time and money)!  darn
    Moral of this story is "ALWAYS KEEP RESALE IN MIND"
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 09:47:42 pm by MoonDawg » Logged

Glen
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 11:34:30 pm »

Very soon a better machine comes along and again the challenge kicks in.

You make it sound like an addictive hobby! What's up with that?  tounge

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
GreginNM
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 12:34:17 am »

Here's the green slider I think you were talking about.  The guy is in Oklahoma City, and yes he still has it.  It's currently listed on Craigslist for $1600.  It's been listed quite a while.

Greg

Vendo: 39B, Standard
Jacobs: 35
Ideal: 35 DP
Westinghouse: WB-66-MD, WD-10, Junior, Standard
SelectiVend: S-48 DP x 2
SelVend: S-47 7up
7-upslider
5 Cent Member

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 01:04:50 am »

You guys are really sapping my creative juices! haha... but I appreciate the honesty and opinions, that's what I was looking for... I think I will end up going with the original white now JUST IN CASE resale becomes and option!! thanks for the help!
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 06:15:23 am »

I will admit that I am a "keep it original" guy.  I drive my boys crazy darn when they see a hot-rodded old Chevy and they say "Cool car!" and then I say, "That guy ruined a beautiful classic car!" laugh

That being said, the all green one in OK City doesn't look bad; but, I still prefer the one that Zadd did.  Plus, MoonDawg makes a good point about the addictive qualities of this hobby! tounge

I got onto this web-site to ask a few questions about a USS 64 that I was going to buy last March.  Since then I have acquired soda machines, cigarette machines, stoners and even a condom machine!

As Jim Carey said in The Mask, "Ooh, somebody stop me!" jawdrop

However it turns out, make sure that we get to see pictures!

drinking Tim drinking

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: