SMC Discussion Areas
May 18, 2024, 08:33:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Picked up a Cavalier/Westy Chest for repurpose...  (Read 10770 times)
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« on: November 30, 2012, 10:18:41 pm »

Only been living in Charlotte for a week, and this was only 7 miles away today...I was going to build a stand for my Big Green Egg smoker this weekend, but as luck would have it this popped up.  My plan is to have the back doors with the double embossing open like cabinet doors to access the bottom of the Egg and the shelves underneath.  The top will be half with the Egg and the other half a wooden working surface.

I know it might be a little sacrilegious cutting one of these up, but this was a good candidate...only $60 and I now live right up the street from my father-in-laws body shop, so a win win.  Nice to have the cap catcher with it.

Lids are in good shape, just surface rust, does anyone need them?

The tags were off it, so how do I ID it as a Cavalier or Westinghouse?  It was an electric, but all the guts were pulled out.

Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 10:54:22 pm »

I suspect its a Cavalier chest...the only external capcatcher on a Westinghouse is a WD-10.  The other bow chest post war cooler models had drawers.

The cap catcher on the the Cavalier chest models are also longer!!!
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 11:51:30 am »

I am one who is never opposed to repurposing these chests as they are so plentiful and rarely get restored, it's better than melting them down by recycling.

Being from California though,I do have a question.
       What is a Big Green Egg smoker?

Glen
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 12:25:40 pm »

I am one who is never opposed to repurposing these chests as they are so plentiful and rarely get restored, it's better than melting them down by recycling.

Being from California though,I do have a question.
       What is a Big Green Egg smoker?

a smoker type of BBQ grill, which happens to look like a big green egg

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 10:42:17 pm »

JohnieG is right on...it's a smoker grill, which is killer for doing BBQ.  I've done 9lb pork butts for 14hrs at 200 degrees without adding charcoal once to it, really an amazing thing.

So...a little challenge/advice asking...

I want to build two doors on the chest, serving a dual purpose of access to the bottom of the Egg and storage on the other side.  I want to keep the embossing and was thinking of building some aluminum or steel angle iron frames to serve the purpose.  Take a look at the photo to see what I want to cut out, how would you guys go about doing something like this? 

MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 09:20:20 am »

Since I am always looking for the easiest and cheapest method of doing things,   I would hinge my doors on top, making framework and latching much simpler.

Glen
CocaMan
10 Cent Member

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 11:35:11 am »

Welcome to Charlotte, I am one of the few native Charlotteans left!  I like your idea for the big green egg.  Where is your father-in-laws body shop in case I ever need anything done? 

Vendo 44 (original)
Jacobs 56 (original)
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 11:41:22 am »

The shop is in East Charlotte, basically right off the Albemarle/Harrisburg intersection.  He's helped me with a couple machines, and would be happy to help out with any project.

CocaMan
10 Cent Member

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 01:46:08 pm »

I will definitely keep that in mind.  Thanks and can't wait to see the big green egg container. 

Vendo 44 (original)
Jacobs 56 (original)
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 09:14:04 pm »

Some progress updates...got the shelves built, some nice cedar planks and the layout of the Cavalier made them all real easy to put in.  Next up is welding the frame for the cabinet doors.

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: