SMC Discussion Areas
May 18, 2024, 06:51:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Westinghouse standard concern  (Read 3153 times)
Gearheadsodajerk66

« on: September 12, 2012, 09:37:53 pm »

Greetings, all! i am a newb to the site, But I already have a question. I have a westinghouse standard(ice) cooler given to Me by My late mother. It is in good shape, save the lids. Both are rusted pretty good. I noticed that another site has replacement lids for sale. The problem is this: the lids I currently have are embossed with the coke logo on the inside. I have some auto body experience and could probably strip and shoot the cooler portion Myself. I would have to cut away the embossed portions of the existing lids and find a way to get them onto the replacement lids. Do you think a local auto body shop would do a project this small?

1939 Westinghouse standard(ice)
1961 Vendorlator VMF56 in Faygo colors
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 10:41:22 pm »

Welcome to the Site. 

It may be more trouble than what it's worth. I have found in my experience that you can easily burn a whole day driving body shop to body shop to find someone that will do a job like that.  Autobody shops anymore are based primarily off collision, that is were the money is. 

Your best bet might be to order the replacement lids.  Or try your luck going shop to shop.  Depends how much money you want to spend on the inside portion of the lids.

I would caution you if you are planning to restore the machine don't expect to sell it for more than what you have into it.  This type of machine is for you to enjoy, but from a collectible standpoint , not so much.
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 10:56:42 pm »

I agree.. I love the Standard but there are tons of them still out there... buy the replacement lids and screen the text on them...
or wait to see if nice originals will pop up on ebay... or at auction some place.. they do from time to time.
FunTronics (Rod and Janet) sell the lids, gasket about anything you'd need for the cooler... great people too!
And welcome! happydrinkers

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 11:59:13 pm »

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=170909297568

(Link posted mobile phone sorry couldn't resize photo.)
Blind1968
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 02:20:08 pm »

If you find a nice set of doors on eBay you can bet you will PAY for them. The last set of doors for a Westy Master I seen went for $255.00.  Oo You can sometimes find entire Coolers on craigslist with the cap catcher and good doors for that much or less. I am currently working on a 1941 Westinghouse Master that needed several parts to include doors and a compressor. So I picked up another cooler with all the needed items to use just for parts, cost me $100.00 + 95.00 shipping had almost everything I needed. Food for thought..

~ Bryan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: