SMC Discussion Areas
May 18, 2024, 07:14:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: westinghouse master needs restored  (Read 4560 times)
TARANDY24

« on: January 08, 2012, 03:21:17 pm »

Hello everyone! This is my first post and my first coca cola machine. I purchased 2 chests at an auction a few weeks ago and can't wait to get started restoring them.  I just don't know where to start. One is an earlier version that is open on the bottom and the other is closed. Both have most of the parts except for the elusive cap catcher. Actually there was a small catcher for one but it is in really bad condition.  The chests are overall in excellent shape. I want to convert the open end to just a cooler and the closed front to electric. The lids are both there and one set is very nice with no rust but the other has some rusting through.  So here I go with all the questions

Can I take those lids apart to replace the insulation and if so how?  How do I know if the compressor and other mechanics work as the cord is cut on one and the other cord looks dangerous to be plugged in.  The lids are all embossed but the one cooler has the drink even with the coca cola, so would the embossed lids be age appropriate for that cooler?  Without sandblasting, how can I remove rust and paint? What should I use to polish hinges handles and bottle opener? Get them Chromed? Any and all help will be helpful also need a cap catcher if anyone has one for sale, don't want to buy a repro.  THANKS
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 11:37:27 pm by TARANDY24 » Logged
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 05:24:48 pm »

Welcome to the board!
Posting a couple of pictures will help all to assist.
Give the search function a try, lots of info already available.
Creighton
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 05:27:15 pm »

There is an original on Ebay right now. $200.00. Which seems a little high to me.

There is also a quality reproduction on Ebay right now. At $99.00 it too is rather high.
SSmoothie
10 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 06:53:56 pm »

As for taking lids apart I have just taken one and completely separated it and I will take it to my body man to see what its going to cost to fix the rust holes. It was fairly easy, need a dremel cutter for the weld and need to pry the folded edge and they slide apart.

Vendo 44
Firestone Refer (sold)
Westinghouse Master (sold)
Westinghouse Standard (sold)
Westinghouse Junior
Westinghouse Half Junior
2 Dole Super Dispensers
Coke Cooler
Some Signage
TARANDY24

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 09:14:59 pm »

wow i was surprised to get a few responses so soon. yeah i will try to take a few pics tomorrow and get them on here. what will you use for insulation in the lids? Do you have any rusting through? How to fix that? I wonder if you could JB weld a sheet of metal to the back and fill in the voids with bondo or some other body filler.  Or would you suggest not to use jb weld on these machines. Is there other body filler to use than bondo on these machines?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 11:38:42 pm by TARANDY24 » Logged
Zach
25 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 10:44:07 pm »

Rust needs cut out or it will reappear, if you want to be a restorer not an assembler, working steel is a must. Its not hard just takes time and practice, you can fix virtually all rust holes with new sheet metal, an angel grinder and a welder. As for the cord, go to the hardware store and buy a new one.

Make sure you get one that's the same gauge as the original wiring. Make a diagram of the wiring before you take it all out, buy the proper gauge wire and rewire it. I am by no means a pro, let the pros chime in there are some really great guys on this site that know what they're doing. If you've never done any welding before it can be intimidating at first, but I suggest taking classes or a getting a book and learning about it. Knowledge is the key success. Just my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 11:10:21 pm by johnieG » Logged
TARANDY24

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 08:01:31 pm »

Thanks for the tips! Do you know what type and gauge of sheet metal that should be used for these?  What do you think about just cutting out the embossing on the lid and welding that into a whole new sheet of metal? do you think that would decrease the value or take away the originality of the cooler?  And were these charged withe sulfer dioxide or R12?
TARANDY24

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 11:40:10 pm »

posted some pics to give a better idea of what it looks like
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: