SMC Discussion Areas
May 17, 2024, 10:13:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: POR-15 question  (Read 9991 times)
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« on: January 22, 2016, 11:55:05 pm »

I have seen numerous posts on the board in the past about POR-15, but have never used it myself.  For those that have, how bad can the rust be before POR-15 is no longer effective?  I have a friend who has an old soda cooler that was in his parents grocery store when he was a kid.  It is a non-embossed cooler that really has minimal value but is sentimental to him due to its history.  He wants to clean it up and use it in his basement.  Looking for a cost effective solution to the tub.  I would think this would be a good candidate for POR-15, some rust penetrations all the way through but some good solid metal as well.  Any comments would be appreciated.

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
1959 Williams Pinch Hitter
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 09:19:55 am »

I used POR15 on the bottom of my V81A in 2005 and it still looks the same. The sample was enough for me to do it another machine too (can't remember now). I still have some leftover in the back frig, but it is probably not good anymore.
It will level out and fill pin holes easily. Larger holes will need more attention. Maybe screw a screw in and POR over the screwn head. It comes with a couple of other preparations like a rust inhibitor and rust nuetralizer. It is a good product in my mind, just don't get it on your skin or you will be wearing it for weeks.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 09:22:58 am by collecture » Logged

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 09:57:56 am »

I agree with Tom.  I used POR-15 and some small fiberglass patches to fix the trunk in my Spitfire.  Buy one of their "starter kits" on eBay so you get the prep solutions as well (metal-ready and something else) and just follow the directions.  It will be more than enough to do pretty much any cooler out there.

I did my Spitfire's trunk 12 years ago and it still looks like the day I finished it.

Three cautions:
1) Use gloves - as Tom mentioned, it will adhere to your skin... forever.  (well, for a few weeks anyway)
2) Wear old clothes.  It won't wash out.
3) MOST IMPORTANT - use it in a very open (like outdoors) place and/or wear a good quality respirator.  This is not stuff you want to use in the basement or in a closed garage.  The fumes it gives off are very dangerous if inhaled.  POR-15 contains isocyanates, you do NOT want to breathe them in.

Good luck - post some pictures and let us know how it goes!

Jim

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
BeaYoung
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 04:06:17 pm »

I learn so much on this board! What is POR? Is it like bondo? Or is it like a fiberglass patch?
SodaShopNick
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 04:58:30 pm »

I have used POR15 a few times myself.  Once on the interior floor of my Victor 4 door and the other on a Vendo56 square top cabinet floor underneath the tub.  In both cases it worked pretty well.  It is great advice to use it where there is good ventilation, but unfortunately for me my Victor was in the basement.   I used a respirator, but the smell remained in the basement for some time.   I had a few larger holes that I used POR15 putty for.  It hardens like a rock, but could not get it to smooth out that well.  In my case it did not matter as it was covered with the grates.   For my Vendo56 Square top I had the same issue with larger holes and used the POR putty again and again I had the same issue with not being able to smooth it out that well, but it was covered by the tub.  It is still holding well after about 1 year of use.   Another thing to mention is they have great customer service and we able to answer all of my questions.   Here is the link even know I know you could find it:  https://www.por15.com/crm.asp?action=contactus 
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 06:46:30 pm »

I learn so much on this board! What is POR? Is it like bondo? Or is it like a fiberglass patch?
Hey Brenda - POR-15 is sort of a paint/sealant combination.  Extremely durable, a lot of car restorers use it for sealing the frame and other rust-prone areas.

Jim

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
BeaYoung
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 07:49:46 pm »

Interesting! Thanks!
ajf5577
Soda Jerks

Andy

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 08:59:36 pm »

Is the POR putty sand able like Bondo, or more difficult to work with?

VMC 7up 81
VMC Pepsi 33
Coke 81
Pepsi CV 78D
Vendo Milk Machine
Whistle Quikold
Whistle S&S
Cleo Cola Quikold
Stoner Gum Wheel
Looking for Picnic Coolers
Wanted- Superior Jr Orange Crush and Grapette
Starr X Openers
SodaShopNick
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 09:15:13 pm »

I have not worked with bondo before, but I can say the putty hardens like a rock.  They say you can sand it, but to be honest for me it was in places where I did not need to try that hard.
BeaYoung
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 10:23:54 am »

Is it "thin?" I.e. applied with a paint brush or is more of a paste? Where do you buy it?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: