SMC Discussion Areas
May 19, 2024, 02:54:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Urgent Jukebox help needed! Anyone know anything about a Rock-Ola 1432  (Read 13338 times)
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« on: June 02, 2009, 07:25:26 am »

I found this Juke local. Its a Rock-ola 1432. I can get it at a good price. I passed on that seeburg A. This is about the same price and better condition. It is a collectable juke? he says it is unknown if it works and he says it is full of 45's so it must have been converted. i need some urgent advice please. Is this a Go or No Go? I have never worked on anything this old. Eveything I have worked on had been 1950's so I have no idea. Please help. I think its a cool looking juke. It would be nice to have a 45 box and a 78 box. Again this is local and I can get it for $500 or less.
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 08:58:23 am »

Josh,

The Rockola 1432 actually did come in a 45 version. It's also know as the "Rocket". They are great looking boxes with more value than say a Seeburg M100A.

As before, if the owner says "not sure if it works" you have to be prepared for anything.

Typically though if the box hasn't been messed around with as is considered complete the likely suspects are the Amplifier, Input power problems like a bad fuse, bad power cord. A lot of times a connector might come unplugged which prevents it from working properly.

If the mech is complete, sometimes the motors go bad but typically if a box has sat unused for years, the mech's get gummed up and won't operate properly without being thoroughly cleaned fist.

Does this machine have the back doors? Just curious.

For under $500 and locally, this might be worth taking a chance. Check for termites too!  biggrin

Brian
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 09:05:55 am »

Josh,

I think the 1432's could be ordered to play 45's late in the production run. I think this because I HAD a beautiful original one and the platters, if my memory serves me, only fit 45's. I could be wrong though...

I see the speaker sitting on top, where is the amplifier...? It looks a little empty in the lower panel!
I think the amplifier may take some time to locate!

As far as a price, make sure none of the plastics are cracked and that it's complete!
Then the $500 investment will be worth it.
Just my 2 cents...

My six cents,

Jim

Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 10:06:03 am »

I agree with Brian and Jim.
I don't think anyone in the US is repopping the pilasters, and the amnp appears to be missing , thought there is a box and a paeaker on top of the machine, it may be in the box?

There was a 78 (1432) and a 45 ( 1432A)  produced, so most likely it came from the factory as a 45 player.

If the amp is  not missing, the pilasters are okay, and no termites,  go for it

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 10:18:10 am »

Well I just bought it. it is mising the amp but I bought it for only $250 and he said the glass and plastic on the front is just about perfect. No fading chips cracks or any problems. There just happens to be a 1432 amp on ebay that is fully rebuilt and ready to go for $375 which isn't bad. I thing for $625 with a rebuilt amp and a local pickup I got a good deal. What do you all think? Was it worth it. Its not a great looking box but its not bad.
GreginNM
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 10:27:53 am »

I think you did great, Josh!  I like the look of that jukebox, and you can't go wrong with a rebuilt amp!  Just some good cleaning and elbow grease on the cabinet and you may potentially have a really nice unit!  Good job!

Greg

Vendo: 39B, Standard
Jacobs: 35
Ideal: 35 DP
Westinghouse: WB-66-MD, WD-10, Junior, Standard
SelectiVend: S-48 DP x 2
SelVend: S-47 7up
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 10:43:36 am »

I think you done very well...

Personally I like the Rockola Models better than the Seeburgs...

Well done mate...

Dave
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 11:20:11 am »

Ya done good. My first Juke was a Rockola 1436 Fireball, so I'm a little biased toword Rockola's 
I'm reasonably sure there are/were animation units behind the pilasters, so don't let the looks of it  concenr you, all lit up and playing, it's a thing of beauty.

mrsoda
25 Cent Member

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 12:43:46 pm »

glade you got it, love to see some one get a good deal, enjoy
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 05:45:10 pm »

Glad you were able to negotiate a better price with the amp missing!
Originally, these didn't have animation, but still look great illuminated ! ! !

My six cents,

Jim

BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 07:58:32 pm »

Nice score Josh!

Brian
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 07:59:09 pm »

Thanks everyone! I am really looking forward to getting it.

Does anyone know if there is a forum for jukes like this site? I have a ton of questions about jukes and was hoping to find a site dedicated to jukes.
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 08:02:28 pm »

There isn't a site quite like this one anywhere! biggrin The only real jukebox website that addresses problems/issues and has regular traffic is The Jukebox Listhttp://lists.netlojix.com/mailman/listinfo/jukebox-list

If you scroll down the page to the Jukebox List Archives link, you will find monthly updates from July 1999 up to present.

I wish there was a site set-up exactly like this one for Jukeboxes......
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 08:04:47 pm by BrianB » Logged

Brian
David D
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 09:00:14 pm »

Josh, congratulations it looks like a nice box, great deal.  The jukebox site Brian mentioned is good, but when posting messages you have to be very specific about the question/issue, I've used it several times and had good luck.

loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2009, 08:27:21 pm »

Here are some new pics the owner sent. Its missing a molding piece down by the speaker grill that is probably going to be hard to find. But in all it looks rather good. The wood all looks great and there is an animation cylinder inside.
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2009, 08:38:41 pm »

I'll say it again, you did good Josh. The molding looks like it could be fabricated if you can't  find one, you have the other side to use as a template
i picked up an amp for my 1422 on Ebay, so they do show up regularly there,so I didn't think finding one  will be an issue.
Congrats again

loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2009, 04:19:34 pm »

Im going to go pick it up on Wednesday! I can't wait! I will let you know how it goes!
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2009, 02:07:18 pm »

Can't wait to hear back!

Brian
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2009, 09:58:58 pm »

Well I just unloaded it from the truck. When I showed up I was pleasantly surprised to see a very nice juke. The wood is solid as a rock and everything is in flawless condition. The plastics are like new and so is all of the glass. The finish is coming off but it is nice real wood and not laminated so I think I am going to sand it down and stain it. This is a nice piece of furniture not like the jukes I have had. I can't wait to get working on this. I have a fully rebuilt amp and power supply ready to plug in. I am pumped.
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2009, 09:15:39 pm »

I have some Amplifier questions. I bought a fully restored amp for this box from a professional restorer. It was not a cosmetic restoration but everything inside and out is new. The speaker and amp was removed from the box and the original amp was discarded. The speaker wires were cut and the speaker hooks to the amp with a special plug. I hooked everything up minus the speaker just to see if the lights would light up and if the record mech worked. I hooked everything up and nothing turned on. It looks like everything is intact. The wiring looks good but when plugged in and turned on nothing happens. The tubes don't even light up. I checked the troubleshooting on the manual and it says that if nothing happens check to make sure the speaker plug is firmly inserted. Does that mean that the speaker plug must be plugged in to make the amp work? Does the plug complete the circuit or something? It did absolutely nothing. Any suggestions? I have the speaker and it is in relatively good condition but the plug and wires are missing. Anyone have anything like this?
David D
Soda Jerks

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2009, 10:26:02 pm »

Josh, I could be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if the amp didn't work without the speaker, on many of these older jukes the speaker uses a field coil rather than the modern magnetic speaker.   The field coils take high voltage to run so it would make sense the amp wouldn't power up without it. 
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2009, 05:49:32 am »

If you applied power to the amplifier and the tubes don't even light I would first check:

#1 - Line Cord
#2 - Fuses
#3 - Main Power Switch

A couple other things that it might be is a bad transformer on the amp. Hopefuly not seeing as how it's a restored amp.

Let me know what you find out.

Brian
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: