SMC Discussion Areas
May 17, 2024, 03:56:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ideal Slider 55 Cooling problem  (Read 2187 times)
hunter

« on: June 04, 2011, 03:57:34 pm »

Just bought a slider 55 mainly for the parts, coin mec and slider rack. Was hoping the thing might cool, but it is not. The compressor and fan come on just fine, but not cooling. Could it need a charge or could it be a thermostat problem. It has been sitting in a barn since 1982.

Thanks
Steve
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 05:26:28 pm »

So then if the compressor is truly running, then it wouldn't be a T-stat issue. have you tried the old "rag blocking the condensers fan"  trick? & actually felt the compressor running? many times the fans vibrating from a bent blade or a loose mounting bolt that it seems & sounds  like the compressors running, while in truth it's not.   

So temporarily block the cooling fan with a rag, & fell the compressors housing to confirm you have it running, then if it is good to go you can proceed from there.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
hunter

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 10:19:31 pm »

I did the towel test on the fan and the compressor is on and running. So do you think it is the thermostat. Can they be cleaned or do I need a new one?

Thanks
Steve
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 12:52:20 am »

The thermostat is only to shut the compressor off when the box is cold enough. So far yours is allowing the machine to run as it is suppose to. Sometimes it takes a while for these to cool.
      Let it run for a while and put your hand on the front of the inner liner where cooling on sliders first begins. If it starts to chill and seems a little colder than the back of the liner, then it may just be low on freon. If no cooling at all, look for signs of oil around the fittings on the compressor deck indicating a freon leak.
      And last although rare, I have a 55 in my shop now where the compressor is running but not pumping and needs to be replaced, but only a qualified service technician would be able to verify this.

Glen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: