SMC Discussion Areas
May 17, 2024, 04:58:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Welder to buy flux core Mig or Arc??  (Read 2535 times)
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« on: June 03, 2010, 10:44:13 pm »

I need to buy a welder. I used to have a flux core mig that gave good results but I got rid of a lot of tools when I left for Singapore. Now I need a welder and I have never used an arc welder. What does everyone here prefer? The prices are about the same for the cheaper models. I will just be doing light jobs and not all the time so I will buy a cheaper model. Any information or opinions are appreciated.
American And Proud
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 11:16:58 pm »

Get a 220 volt Mig and GET A BOTTLE, even a Small bottle.

You'll be Much Happier.

A small Lincoln Electric Weld Pak 180 should do Nicely for restorations of Soda Machines.

Get a Name Brand, down the road you want to be able to get parts if needed.

loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 11:47:12 pm »

FOr the time being I was going to get one from Harbor freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/120-amp-arc-welder-98870.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/90-amp-flux-wire-welder-98871.html

I know they are not the best but it will work for now. I already had the mig and it worked great on soda machine projects. I didn't use it much that was back when I was dating Katie and she did my welding. Now I need to teach Heather to weld Smiley
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 07:16:04 am »

Any thoughts or comments?
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 07:47:42 am »

I've always been skeptical of HF stuff, although I love going to the place and stocking up.  I was looking for a welder about a year ago, and to keep it in the price point and get a nice welder I went with Craigslist.  I found a nice MIG setup with a bottle and cart for around $150.  It was used, but I got a much nicer welder for a good chunk less than a new one.  I figured that once I get used to doing some welding, I can spend the money on something nicer.

If you do go with the HF stuff, like it was said, make sure the parts are readily available.  

Here's 20% off at HF if you decide to go that route: http://www.harborfreightusa.com/html/MagazineLanders/3-general/images/20_c.jpg

bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 08:10:59 am »

Get a 220 volt Mig and GET A BOTTLE, even a Small bottle.

You'll be Much Happier.

A small Lincoln Electric Weld Pak 180 should do Nicely for restorations of Soda Machines.

Get a Name Brand, down the road you want to be able to get parts if needed.

Either the Lincoln or the Miller 220V mig machines are the way to go. I wouldn't even waste my time with anything less. You will not be able to get parts and consumables for the HF brand stuff. They are much cheaper, but you get what you pay for. I have the Miller 180 and it is awesome. After using shield gas, you will never want the flux wire again either.

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 08:25:37 am »

The welding i am needing to do is very light. I basically need to tack things in place. Nothing to hold a load or anything like that. I am not welding car frames or anything heavy duty. I am welding small parts like on coin mechs and maybe a vending drum. However when I make a drum it will just be a prototype. I would do production in Singapore or China.

just like I am sending a coin mech with my Dad back to singapore. I have two of our partner companies ready to take a stab at the mechs. The owners are good friends of mine and will do them on the side for very cheap. They make several products for our main Singapore company and the coke machine stuff they see as added value for us to use them. One air handling assembly we have now sold over 1000 pcs and they make them so they are really really happy and want to keep us happy with them.

So basically I need a welder for hobby work and Central Pneumatic makes HF compressors and welders and parts are available. I have had one of their compressors and it was great!
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 09:16:22 am »

So basically I need a welder for hobby work and Central Pneumatic makes HF compressors and welders and parts are available. I have had one of their compressors and it was great!
sounds like you already made up your mind on the Harbor Freight one from the get go... biggrin
GOod luck on your purchase. My welder is a guy named Larry, he knows how to use the stuff, and does what I want for cheap.. best welder I could buy!

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: