SMC Discussion Areas
May 04, 2024, 10:02:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Removing fake woodgrain  (Read 4458 times)
« on: October 14, 2006, 06:16:05 pm »

Greetings,

I have a Rock-Ola CCC5 I picked up for free a month or so ago.  It's my first machine.  After I plugged it in and saw that the compressor ran and chilled, I decided I'd paint it up and put it in the basement.  

It had fake wood paneling applied on the sides and front panel.  Since that's not the look I'm hoping for I started removing it.  It came off the sides real easy and it was painted underneath.  However, on the front panel, it was clearly applied at the factory before the metal was bent/cut.  This is proving much more difficult to remove, especially around the bends and edges.  

Any ideas for removing this stuff?
dr galaga
Soda Jerks

Sorry, but it's a POP MACHINE!

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 07:01:41 pm »

Have you tried applying heat to it?

Brent
--------------
Cavalier CS-80C
Vendo 63
--------------
The ultimate glass bottle soda site: www.GlassBottleSoda.org
My gameroom: Arcade80s.net
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 07:48:45 pm »

yep... try some heat from either a hair dryer or even better is a heat gun.

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 08:18:18 pm »

Since your going to paint anyway, I'd use a spray on paintstripper such as "aircraft" stripper, most  auto supply houses carry it in the paint section, as do the big box stores such as home depot, lowes, etc.

remove the door & lay it flat, decal side up on any good surface covered with newspapers (several layers) with open air exposure ( garage door open)  wearing gloves & a long sleeve shirt & goggles, spray the paint stripper lightly over the surface of the decals front/face & wait about 10 minutes it will turn into a very soft plastic matieral that will pull-off with no effort,    ( remember, don't  get it on you skin, you won't notice it at first, but in about 15 minutes it will burn your skin like lye)

it's the easist way I've found to remove large sections of the woodgrain vinyl ( so long as you are going to paint anyway)

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
Marvin
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 10:20:17 pm »

I have never used it, but I have seen "woodgrain remover" at the automotive paint supply stores.

Marvin
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 08:53:49 am »

(Marvin @ Oct. 14 2006,11:20)
I have never used it, but I have seen "woodgrain remover" at the automotive paint supply stores.

Marvin

Thanks guys, I was hoping for a chemical solution.  I'll try the "aircraft" stripper first.  I tried heating it with a hair dryer and it didn't seem to help much--when I got it loose it left a gummy residue still.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: