SMC Discussion Areas
May 04, 2024, 04:12:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alternative insulation  (Read 4658 times)
« on: July 04, 2005, 08:40:41 pm »

Has anyone here ever used anything other than fiberglass? Seems like a closed cell foam has a better R value; therefore, the compressor should run less. What do yall think about lining the cabinet with foam insulation boards then reinserting the liner? Would it work? Would the R value be higher? I live in Texas and my machine will reside in my garage where its about 110 degrees today. Just thought I would throw this out there and see what yall thought or if yall know anyone who has used something other than fiberglass.

Seems if fiberglass was the best we would still use it today in refrigerators and freezers. Please give me your thoughts on insulation.
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 09:41:00 am »

A lot of the guys & gals here that have done restorations have gone with the foam board style insulation versus using fiberglass.

I personally use the fiberglass partially out of the desire to maintain some originallity and also due to the fact that my machines are all indoors and don't have to compete with the higher temperatures experienced by outdoor machines.

Either way, I think that going with the foam board is a safe bet. Maybe some of the others can comment on their experiences.

Brian
dr galaga
Soda Jerks

Sorry, but it's a POP MACHINE!

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 12:48:29 pm »

I think the foam board sounds like a good idea.  Seems like it would be easier to set in place (don't have to worry about it bunching up and moving as much). ':cool:'

Brent
--------------
Cavalier CS-80C
Vendo 63
--------------
The ultimate glass bottle soda site: www.GlassBottleSoda.org
My gameroom: Arcade80s.net
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 02:16:00 pm »

I am very interested in any comments here as I am getting close to replacing my insulation.
sodaworks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2005, 10:08:58 pm »

I know a few guys that use the foam board and spray the expansion foam (spray bombs) into the voids. This can be messy if too much is used. I use fibreglass insulation my self.

TERRY@SODAWORKS RESTORATIONS
Lots of Round Top machines
Buy-Sell-Trade-Restorations
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 01:53:45 pm »

Im thinking I may try the foam boards. I will cut the foam to fit and layer it until i get the correct thickness. Any ideas on what I could fill the voids with other than spray foam?
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2005, 03:01:03 pm »

After reading some of the older posts I think that I will stick with the regular insulation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: