SMC Discussion Areas
May 18, 2024, 01:40:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Replacing bottom cabinet panel  (Read 5834 times)
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« on: June 04, 2011, 12:51:08 pm »

I am replacing the lower cabinet panel on a Vendo 56 and 81. You can see from the pic below, they were completely shot.   A couple questions.  I am planning on talking with a couple sheet metal shops about making the replacement pieces unless someone knows of a source for them already.  Did not see them on any of our sponser sites.  I assume that those of you who restore professionally have your own local sources for these when you need them, what would you consider to be a reasonable cost.  Do you just get them done in galvanized?  I would think that labor would make up the majority of the expense so I am looking at having them made in stainless as an option as well.  I will let every one know what kind of pricing I get back.  Does anyone else out there need these?  I can look at having several done at the same time if there is any interest.  Lastly, I have seen several posts over time where people have recommended these pieces be replaced, and now that I have mine out, I think it is a "must do".  Getting them out, however, can be a bit of a challenge if you haven't done it before.  Thought I would share what ended up working well for me and ask for input from others on how they do it.  After a bit of trial and thankfully no significant error. I ended up using a Dremel tool with a cutting wheel.  By rubbing it back and forth over the spot weld you wear a hole through the inner panel and leave the outer cabinet untouched.  Takes a little time because you dont want to rush it, but I ended up with the panels cut out and no impact to the rest of the machine.  Once the inner panel was completely out, I could go back and smooth off the weld spots.  The pic below shows the resulting hole in hte rusted pan.  Actual hole is smaller than a dime.

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
1959 Williams Pinch Hitter
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 02:21:36 pm »

There's a guy that sets up at the Chicago show that makes them, the 56 bottle door skin with windows, 44 racks and a few other items...
Soda Springs name is Jim Rud - sodaspr.com - email is info@sodaspr.com
at least this is what is on his card I got a couple years back....

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 11:09:53 pm »

Thanks Eric,  went to that site and the do actually have the pans already made up and listed on the site.  Great to have that as an option. I appreciate the lead.

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
Zach
25 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 08:33:40 pm »

How do you install these? Seems welding stainless steal to steal wouldn't quiet work?
briandr1
25 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 06:36:12 am »

You can weld stainless steel you just have to use stainless steel wire in your mig welder.

selectivend 64 sa
2 cavalier 96
1975 bally hi deal em pinball machine
1920 wate and fate penny  scale
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 06:55:06 am »

How do you install these? Seems welding stainless steal to steal wouldn't quiet work?

You can weld stainless steel to steel.

The one bottom I replaced was rotted out in the middle. I cut the bottom out, leaving about 1/2" all the way around still welded to the cabinet. I welded a flat plate to that and used rust converter, then seam sealer, and then coated the entire cabinet with rubberized undercoat.

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 09:02:33 am »

Your replacing the bottom panel of the cabinet, not the shell right.

the ones Jim sells I believe is the bottom pan for the Tub and it's made of stainless..

I replace each one in almost every machine i restore.. it's just easy to use a spot weld cutting bit and the pan drops right out in about 5 minutes..

My body guy has the dimensions and just gets them made up for each machine we do... I honestly donn't even know the cost, as it is just figured into my body work... I'll check and let you know.. I don't have the dimensions for the 56 so not sure if I can get one of those made

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 11:31:26 pm »

We do some work with a local Mechanical contractor that has a sheet metal shop with a computer automated metal cutter.  I took the cabinet bottoms into them and they are going to cut me a couple of duplicates.  Its obviously not their typical work so they are just going to work it in when they have some slow time.  Since its computer cut, I am anticipating they should be an exact fit.  They thought that the 2 panels would run about $125 in total.  I'll let you know how they turn out. 

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 11:35:33 pm »

Well this is certainly not the sexiest pic on this site, but I picked up the new panels.  They turned out very nice.  Pretty much identical to the originals.  Hoping to have a lifetime of rust free operation

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
Pat Pixley
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 12:47:51 am »

I'm having one made right now for a Vendorlator 56 Transitional  and the inside shelve panel for the main door.
both look like they came out of the swiss cheese company.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: