SMC Discussion Areas
May 30, 2024, 05:24:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jacobs compressor is it worth saving..  (Read 5835 times)
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« on: May 26, 2009, 10:35:40 am »

Hi Guys

I finally got hold of the person who was supposed to be sorting out my refrigeration on the Jacobs machine I've been bring back to life for the last two years.

The compressor was sitting in my garage awaiting a service etc for a long time. One of the kids must have touched it because the pipe broke and all the liquid escaped.

The friend of a friend who was going to sort it out has told me that it isn't worthwhile putting replacement R12 into the compressor because it will burn it out. He can't put R12 into it because its illegal.

So, that leaves me a choice. Either I get a new unit (240v) which is not going to be cheap or I take the chance with the replacement.

Your advice please. I think this friend of a friend has good intentions but I don't want to thrwo the heart of my machine out if I don't have to...

By the same token I want to be able to use the Jacobs machine for what it was intended...

Dave
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 11:19:34 am by johnieG » Logged
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 10:43:36 am »

I would say it depends on what the cost is. a new compressor shouldn't be too bad and look on the bright side. No more step down transformers. How dod your kids break the lines? I have done a lot to cooling systems and not broke a line?Huh?Huh??
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 11:01:55 am »

Josh

would still need the step down just to run the fans etc... Unless I changed all that too...

The compressor was on the floor and secured to a homemade stand and I'm guessing they must have knocked their pedal bikes or something against it... Its toppled over and the line has snapped... Can't blame them its my fault it was my handy work that made the stand... 

The new compressor is going to be £500.00 fitted about $750.00 so not cheap....

Dave

MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 11:22:57 am »

The friend of a friend who was going to sort it out has told me that it isn't worthwhile putting replacement R12 into the compressor because it will burn it out. He can't put R12 into it becasue its illegal.

Time for a second opinion Dave. There are good replacementgasses for old R12 systems or
who would be arresting you for using a 12 oz can of real R12?
         And finally.....how often would you be running the Jacobs? You certainly have enough other machines

Glen
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 11:39:16 am »

Your friend is perhaps being a little cautious ( or is inexperienced) in using an R-12 replacement refrigerant, I replace R-12 in older compressor systems with both Hot-shot R/414a and/or Freeze12 without any issues in regards to the compressor "burning-out". Both are compatible with early systems lubricant (mineral oil) & work well within the original r-12's pressure & temperature ranges. you still have to follow good repair practices such as, recovery of used refrigerant, repair the leak, replace the filter/dryer, deep vaccum to remove all of the mositure out of the system, & proper replacement charge by weight.

Now I wouldn't go sticking R134A into an old R-12 designed system without using an oil-conditioning additive. & a new filter dryer that would be compatible with R314a, & other system related considerations.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 12:14:08 pm by johnieG » Logged

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 12:10:38 pm »

Glen - I think you might be right about a second opinion. He did name the replacement he wanted to use, but I can't recall it off the top of my head. I did suggest using the real thing but he can 't get hold of it... Said he would use it if I could get it...

With reagrd to it running... It would only be used for high days and holidays but after spending a small fortune getting it back to life it would be nice to vend a bottle of Pepsi from it that's chilled...

Johnnie - Thanks for all that advice... I have to confess that you could have written it in Japanese and it would have made as much sense to me. However, I can print it off and give it to someone who does understand it...

I think you are right about inexpereience. Not a great deal of need to re-charge old systems this end of the world...

Cheers Chaps...

Dave
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 11:37:41 am »

Johnny... I think you meant R134A? Haven't heard of R314A yet...

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 12:16:54 pm »

Johnny... I think you meant R134A? Haven't heard of R314A yet...

Thanks for catching the dyslexic error... upside

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: