SMC Discussion Areas
May 08, 2024, 06:21:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cavalier C4-96G compressor & fan running all the time,not kicking off  (Read 9191 times)
swamprocker

« on: April 24, 2009, 04:56:21 am »

I loaded the machine with 2 cases of beer and soda, checked the temp after a day and it was 42 degrees. Now i notice the compressor/condensor motor was running all the time, and today after 5 days, i seen in the middle front of the machine inside was all iced up so i unplugged it. Maybe the evaporator coil is blocked with dirt or evap fan stopped working? How do i get to that, dosen't say in the service manual? Posissbly themostat went too?
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 09:18:53 am »

I believe the 96 is very similar to my C-55 and you should be able to remove several bolts on each side of the stack allowing it to slide out. After removing the stack, several bolts hold the evaporator in and 1-2 bolts secure the compressor plate assembly. You'll have to remove the line cover too.
These machines are designed to be seviced fairly easily in the field.
If you go to all the trouble removing the assembly, I'd go ahead and replace both fans and T-Stat, so you don't have to worry about it for a while.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
swamprocker

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 10:52:23 pm »

Thanks, i'll give it a go, i'm new to the soda machine hobby,but mechanically inclined. I have 72 seeburg jukebox & a bally 8 ball deluxe pinball machine i've worked on also.
audiobeer
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 11:29:31 am »

Does the lower fan stay on all the time? Does the internal tempature ever drop below the 42 degrees that you mentioned? I would tend to lean towards what Collecture stated. I had a Cavalier 72 that did the same thing. It would freeze sodas until I changed the thermostat. Another possiblity is that your a little low on freon.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 11:31:24 am by audiobeer » Logged

Missouri
swamprocker

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 10:18:22 pm »

I think the compressor & compressor fan were running all the time. The temp wouldn't go below 42 after running a few days either with the thermostat all the way on 7. I noticed the ice in front on the coiled wire and metal bulb. I think the evaporator fan stopped and/or the evaporator coil fins are blocked up. I seen some busted glass in there too. I'll find out more when i get the stack out to access the evaporator coil & fan.
audiobeer
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 10:57:54 pm »

See if you can get the condensor fan spinning. Sometimes a bottle (Usualy diet Coke) would freeze and the bottle would break. The glass sometimes ended up in the condensor fins and blocking the fan. You can't be that lucky can you?  biggrin
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 11:01:34 am by johnieG » Logged

Missouri
swamprocker

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 07:09:38 pm »

I need help removing the stack, getting to the evaporator. I took some pic's here. There's only 2 bolts i see at the top,one on each side. The rest are screws running down each side, along with a wire harness on the right side and another harness at the bottom. Do i have to remove all those to get at it?
swamprocker

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 07:22:23 pm »

I can't see the evap fan at all with the vend chutes there. Pic's wouldn't post? Email me for pics or i can email to you. swamprocker@prodigy.net , Thanks
swamprocker

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 09:51:46 pm »

The condensor fan is running fine, it's the evaporator fan i don't know about
swamprocker

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 12:56:45 am »

I just got back from the garage and the evaporator fan is running fine too. I had to remove the two bottom steel vend chutes and a steel cover to get at it, really was hard getting those 2 screws on the side holding the cover on the back wall.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: