SMC Discussion Areas
May 19, 2024, 09:09:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Compressor not engaging  (Read 4704 times)
joesquid
25 Cent Member

« on: June 25, 2006, 01:44:34 pm »

Howdy All,
I'm fairly certain I know the answer to this question but hoping there's something I haven't tried yet.

I had a local AC company attempt to recharge the original compressor for my WC-44SK.  I figured it was low on charge due to the fact that the compressor would run and get hot, but the coke machine did not get cold. The condensor and evap fans both worked fine.  The guy called me after he evacuated the system, added a Schrader valve, recharged (with an R-12 variant I assume) and tried it out.  He said the compressor promptly seized.  He didn't charge me anything for the effort.  I tried running it to find that the compressor truly will not run.  The overload allows power to the compressor (109 VAC read at the compressor leads) which is also proven by the fact that the condensor fan kicks on.  6 seconds later the overload audibly "clicks", the condensor fan shuts down and voltage drops to 32 VAC at the compressor.  Several seconds later the overload closes, allowing power to the compressor, and the cycle repeats itself.  The compressor doesn't even get warm.

Any ideas to salvage this compressor or is it time to call Eric at Global Compressors?

Eric "Joe Squid" Johnson

1955 Vendo 23 - awaiting restoration
1959 Westinghouse WC-44SK - awaiting parts
1967 Cavalier CS-64G - functional in house
1969 Vendo 63 - in restoration
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 02:25:19 pm »

Can't you find a small compressor deck and have your A/C shop solder your evaporator tubes onto it?

Glen
joesquid
25 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 02:28:31 pm »

I had thought about that just haven't had time to pursue it.  Been at sea too much as of late.  how much do they run (ballpark)?  Do they come only for R-12 variants or can one be purchased that works with R-134A?

Eric "Joe Squid" Johnson

1955 Vendo 23 - awaiting restoration
1959 Westinghouse WC-44SK - awaiting parts
1967 Cavalier CS-64G - functional in house
1969 Vendo 63 - in restoration
cvb141
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 10:17:12 am »

Yes, you can get R134a compressor to replace the R12.
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 03:58:31 pm »

Hi, I am hoping someone can aswer a question for me about a compressor problem.
I have a Cornelius 7up soda can machine 1970 vintage. I guess info on these are scarce. My compressor stopped running, has same problem as joesquid.
Called a local appliance repairman and he told me to try hitting the compressor with a hammer, sometimes the valve inside sticks. Also to try a hard start cap.
I haven't tried either of these fixes but if they don't get it running the compressor is a 1 hp unit. Can you put a smaller compressor on it say either a 1/4 or 1/2 hp?
This guy told me a 1 hp unit will be hard to find also about $400-$500.
I know these things can't be cheap, but that sounds way to much money for just the compressor.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Randy
cvb141
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 05:27:39 pm »

Hitting it with a hammer doesn't sound like a fix. Can't imagine it having a compressor much larger than a 1/3hp in it. 1hp is large, and if it did you couldn't drop down to a small compressor and expect it to work.
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 05:45:34 pm »

It is a 1/3 hp. I don't know where I got 1 HP at. I finally got the time to rip the thing apart to read the tag on the compressor. It uses a AE3440A. He didn't say that was a fix, just hit it to see if it was stuck.  If it started to work then use a hard start cap. It didn't work anyway. Compressor is locked up good!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: