SMC Discussion Areas
May 18, 2024, 11:10:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seam Sealant  (Read 3823 times)
SodaShopNick
Soda Jerks

« on: June 08, 2013, 10:57:55 pm »

I have a Cavalier 72 that has not been restored, but is fully working and running in my garage.   I have had to do a few things on it like replace the overload relay, wiring harness and put in a tub liner from Funtronics over the rusted out one.   The problem is for this tub liner replacement I need to put some sealant between this tub liner and where it means the tub, but I am not sure what to use.  I did some searching on the site and found several recommendations to use a seam sealer like is used with automobile work.    So, I did some searching for seam sealers and found everything from brush on, apply from a tube, apply from a caulk gun to even some tape made by 3m.  If seam sealer is the way to go are there any recommendations on what type to use?  Also always, thank you 
SodaShopNick
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 08:06:04 pm »

Anyone have any thoughts/recommendations?   Any responses would be appreciated.
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 08:50:24 pm »

I would use Marine 5200 caulk/adhesive.
Prepare some way to keep the new metal compressed down, say a piece of wood with some weight on top...
Pay particular attention to areas that may not want to stay down and address with a little more weight...
Make sure the original liner bottom is as clean as possible prior to applying adhesive!
Apply small circular dabs of 5200, say the size of a quarter, in areas that need to stay down, like around the drain hole. Remember, we need the condensation water to still run to the drain hole!
Let this stand/dry/cure over night, then apply, as small as possible while still sealing the edge of the new metal to the corner of the original liner, a bead of 5200 around the complete perimeter of the new metal pan.

My six cents,

Jim

SodaShopNick
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 08:55:38 pm »

Jim, thanks for the detailed action plan.  I will give it a try. 
SodaShopNick
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 05:21:07 pm »

Jim - I wanted to update you that I was able to get some Marine 5200 caulk/adhesive a few weeks ago and applied it around and under the tub liner replacement like you suggested and it is working like a champ.  It is only a band-aid, but a good one for now.  Thanks!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: