SMC Discussion Areas
May 09, 2024, 07:04:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New 8oz coke bottles!?  (Read 4341 times)
« on: March 28, 2005, 11:32:31 am »

I have a VMC 44 Coke machine and purchased a couple of cases of the 8oz glass bottles. I spent 30 minutes trying to load my machine. I finally measured the bottles and found that the NEW 8oz bottles are almost 3/4 of an inch smaller around than the old ones! I have spoken to 9 people around the country with Coke. Nobody seems to believe me. Is anyone aware of this? If so, are there ay solutions to this problem?
sodaworks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 11:48:24 am »

Hello Zackster,
  Welcome aboard. I haven't noticed any problems with the new bottles. I am wondering if maybe Coca-cola is using your area as a testing grounds for a smaller diameter bottle? Where are you located? My bottles are within a fraction of the original bottles. Terry

TERRY@SODAWORKS RESTORATIONS
Lots of Round Top machines
Buy-Sell-Trade-Restorations
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 11:54:35 am »

I am in Texarkana, Texas. The regional bottler is in Louisiana. The new bottles here have a red rectangle with the white Coke script on it. I have talked to them and they are not aware of a change. I know I'm not crazy. I have a friend who owns a liquor store and carries the bottles. He still had a few of the older bottles in his cooler. We measured them with a marked string, then compared them to the NEW bottles he got in a couple of weeks ago and they are NOT the same size.
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 03:22:15 pm »

Ok, I got a call back from Richard Hauffman, the plant manager for the regional bottling plant. He told me that he laughed when he got my message about the new bottles being a different size. He said he walked by a rack and decided to check it out. He said "You are absolutely right! The new bottles ARE smaller!" He said he had no idea how that happened, but that he intends to find out. He was more than a little upset about it. So, these new bottles may be pretty valuable. Or, someone at Coke in Atlanta authorized the change and didn't bother to tell anyone else. Meanwhile, if you have a VMC or Vendo 44...you are out of luck!
dr galaga
Soda Jerks

Sorry, but it's a POP MACHINE!

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 03:44:27 pm »

I just picked up a 6-pack a week-or-so (Chicago area) and the bottles are the same as the earlier ones.  
Since they are smaller, what's the big deal (does this mean that they are longer)?

Brent
--------------
Cavalier CS-80C
Vendo 63
--------------
The ultimate glass bottle soda site: www.GlassBottleSoda.org
My gameroom: Arcade80s.net
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2005, 04:41:15 pm »

There is only a problem if you have a Vendorlator 44 or a Vendo 44. The way the bottles drop out requires that the bottles be a certain size. By being narrower, you put in your coin and 4 or 5 drinks will drop out. They are not taller, they use thinner glass and they have a thinner base than the traditional bottles. When they went to the 8oz bottles to replace the 6 1/2 oz bottles several years ago, they just made the glass thinner but left the bottle OUTSIDE the same size.
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2005, 05:37:36 pm »

zackster,
I think the bottler owes you a years supply of Coke in bottles for informing him!
Way to go!
dr galaga
Soda Jerks

Sorry, but it's a POP MACHINE!

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2005, 08:07:37 pm »

Quote (zackster @ Mar. 28 2005,4:41)
you put in your coin and 4 or 5 drinks will drop out.

Wow, a jackpot each time ':drinkers:' !
Good luck finding out what happened.

Brent
--------------
Cavalier CS-80C
Vendo 63
--------------
The ultimate glass bottle soda site: www.GlassBottleSoda.org
My gameroom: Arcade80s.net
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2005, 09:58:55 am »

Markito: Funny you should mention the "FREE COKE". Actually, I suggested FREE COKE for life. (Leave a little wiggle room). He DID promise to send me some collectible bottles from his collection. He said he had over 2,000.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: