SMC Discussion Areas
May 18, 2024, 07:15:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Philosophical question.....  (Read 3608 times)
photogman

« on: July 13, 2010, 09:24:54 pm »

For instance, my machine (81a) needs a new wiring harness and maybe a few other things to be functional I believe.  I might even send in the compressor to be reworked and maybe the coin op.  (Former owner said the machine rejected new dimes because they had copper in them making them lighter).  At what point is a machine no longer original and is then considered a restoration?
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 09:30:20 pm »

Philosopically.....if your car looks nice and only needs a tuneup, why do a full restoration?

Glen
photogman

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 09:37:35 pm »

I understand what you are saying MoonDawg, it's not a question of whether I want it or not....but generally speaking I would think that if you repaint it, it wouldn't be considered original at that point...irrespective of paint, when you start replacing stuff inside, is it not considered original anymore?
GreginNM
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 10:34:02 pm »

I look at it this way...if you want to use and enjoy the machine, you should make sure it's safe by replacing the wiring harness and the fans.  Cleaning up or repainting the compressor deck isn't that big of a deal, as it's not a regularly seen area and it protects it from rust.  The body of the machine is the main part you are concerned with in staying original, along with the original parts inside.  The coin mech may not be the "original" one to the machine, as they were swapped out when they malfunctioned or prices changed.  A good original paint job with replaced electrical parts is still considered original.

Think of a nice original car at a car show.  It would likely have original paint and upholstery, but I'm sure the oil filter, plugs, wires, fan belt, etc. have surely been replaced to keep it running and doesn't hurt the value as long as they are original equipment style.  Just my thoughts...

Greg

Vendo: 39B, Standard
Jacobs: 35
Ideal: 35 DP
Westinghouse: WB-66-MD, WD-10, Junior, Standard
SelectiVend: S-48 DP x 2
SelVend: S-47 7up
photogman

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 10:42:30 pm »

That answered my question Greg.  Thanks!
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 11:49:56 pm »

I restore or refurbish the coin mechs and I can tell you that it shouldn't matter what year nickel or dime you put in. I use buffalo nickels in my Vendo Coin Changer which in turn go in my 81A - never a problem! Your rejector is just dirty and/or out of adjustment.

I am with Greg - I replaced the liner, fans, T-stat and wiring harness on my 81A. Also painted the bottom of the liner with POR15 to take care of any pin holes. It runs quietly and efficiently!

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: