SMC Discussion Areas
May 16, 2024, 11:11:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Picked up a Vendo 80 and 23 at a moving sale....Did I get a deal...?  (Read 9902 times)
wee
10 Cent Member

« on: August 20, 2012, 09:29:37 pm »

Paid $200 for both...I kept the 80 and sold the 23 to my boss.  I hope to get the 80 working but I know next to nothing about vending machines....So that's why I'm here. Pics of the 80 right after I brought it home are below...I didn't take pics of the 23 but it has seen it's better days. I have a ton of questions and have been reading here for a few days now....I'll save most of the questions for later but I would like opinions on what is missing....I know I need a bottle cap catcher and it lookes like a few pieces are missing for the coin mechanism....?

I started a blog to keep up with the progress on the 80...  www.vendo80.blogspot.com

Brian
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 10:12:16 pm »

WElcome, and CONGRATS on your machine.
I would say 200 is a good deal for the both, and if you sold the machine to your boss, then it sounds like it's a free machine for you!

The 80 is a very common machine, single vend, so because of that, not too popular with collectors.  It's still a round top machine, having great lines ( I think) so it has that going for it.
You're missing the stainless cover on the one side of the machine, and not sure how often one comes up for sale, but you might want to just take the one off that is there, until you get your hands on the opp. side.

Welcome to the site, enjoy all that it has to offer, as there are great guys and gals here.  Nice shed too!  In saying that, I can bet that this will NOT be your last machine!!

happydrinkers

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
wee
10 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 10:43:05 pm »

Yea....I knew the RH plate was missing just didn't put it in the first post....I think it's aluminum and not stainless but I will have to investigate more to be sure. I'm really happy with the condition of the outside...I'll admit I'm new to the the antique vending machine collecting scene and really don't get the obsession with the "Brand new" look....I guess I have seen too many Antique Road Show's where the value on items drastically drops if the items have even been cleaned much less repainted....Just bear with me I'm still learning. Thank you for the welcome.

Brian
coke_and_stuff
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 10:55:58 pm »

Very Nice Machine, Clean it up and enjoy as is. Go to your local Steel Supply yard that sells trailer parts. Its aluminum rock guard. That is what was used for the trim on your machine. I spotted it a few years back locally at a steel supply place here in town. You should also be able to order it online.

Joey

Collector of nice original paint machines

Vendo 81 B, C, D
VMC 81 Pepsi, 7up, RC, Generic
6CV Coke, RC, Pepsi
VMC 110 RC
Vendo 39
Jacobs 26
Mills 47
Selectivend 64 7up NOS
Plus 30-50 parts and project machines
MaineT
Soda Jerks

s
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 04:10:49 am »

Yea....I knew the RH plate was missing just didn't put it in the first post....I think it's aluminum and not stainless but I will have to investigate more to be sure. I'm really happy with the condition of the outside...I'll admit I'm new to the the antique vending machine collecting scene and really don't get the obsession with the "Brand new" look....I guess I have seen too many Antique Road Show's where the value on items drastically drops if the items have even been cleaned much less repainted....Just bear with me I'm still learning. Thank you for the welcome.

Brian

So far, vending machines are the only thing I have seen that you can take a perfectly good original with nothing wrong with it, strip it down (and destroy it) and "restore" it to new and it will actually get more money after around the country. I'm all for it if it isn't a good survivor but the machines people restore are perfect originals that I would give my right arm for. I'm in the north east and antiques up here are huge business and you would never do this to anything else.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 04:39:59 am by MaineT » Logged

Tim
wee
10 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 11:13:24 am »

Can anyone look at the coin mechanism and tell me what model number it is....I can not read the lable.

Brian
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 01:24:54 pm »

So far, vending machines are the only thing I have seen that you can take a perfectly good original with nothing wrong with it, strip it down (and destroy it) and "restore" it to new and it will actually get more money after around the country. I'm all for it if it isn't a good survivor but the machines people restore are perfect originals that I would give my right arm for. I'm in the north east and antiques up here are huge business and you would never do this to anything else.

You're overlooking jukeboxes, most coin op machines ( gum, candy, etc) and automobiles. i'm sure there are more.

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 01:38:29 pm »

You're overlooking jukeboxes, most coin op machines ( gum, candy, etc) and automobiles. i'm sure there are more.

I consider jukeboxes, most coin op machines ( gum, candy, etc) in the vending machine catagory.... but I'll give you some autos can be an upside if ground up, but only go 90% and you will get killed. And there is a large contingent of people that will pay top dollar for a perfect original auto, close to the restored price depending on other factors.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 01:42:57 pm by MaineT » Logged

Tim
mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 05:16:30 pm »

Not a good deal, a great deal! Rack in the 80 is worth $500 alone.

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Ideal Embossed Coke Slider
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Theater w/Gum Wheel Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg V200 Jukebox Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 06:48:23 pm »

Rack in the 80 is worth $500 alone.

Really....I never would have guessed that much!

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
coke_and_stuff
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 08:27:35 pm »

I have parted out 5-6 80s over the years and a rack has never no where come close to $500. The most I have ever sold one for with a working motor was $250.

Joey

Collector of nice original paint machines

Vendo 81 B, C, D
VMC 81 Pepsi, 7up, RC, Generic
6CV Coke, RC, Pepsi
VMC 110 RC
Vendo 39
Jacobs 26
Mills 47
Selectivend 64 7up NOS
Plus 30-50 parts and project machines
mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 08:50:17 pm »

I've sold 2 V80's over the past couple of years and i was surprised how many emails i received if I wanted to sell the rack alone. I answered no but was offered that more then once. Just did a quick completed auction search on e-bay and there are no racks for sale in the past 30 days. They are hard to find. Just for fun if someone here has one put it on e-bay to settle our score. My bet is it will get much closer to $500 then $250.

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Ideal Embossed Coke Slider
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Theater w/Gum Wheel Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg V200 Jukebox Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
wee
10 Cent Member

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 09:00:46 pm »

I put a plug on it tonight just to see what worked.....I have not put a new power cord back on it that goes from the power block to the compressor, so no testing it yet. The guy I bought it from said it didn't work, I hope he was wrong...From the looks of the cut off plug it's been years since it seen any power to it at all.

The sold out lever and the light work....The fan on the top unit works.  I could not get it to vend but I really didn't know what button or lever to push on the coin mechanisms to make it work anyway.  I'll set up a free vend switch and see if that works.

Brian
wee
10 Cent Member

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 08:38:26 pm »

I set up the free vend button and the rollers move as they should....I'll have to dig out my case of old 6 1/2 oz bottles and fill it up to see if it will really vend.....Now I just got to get it to cool.

Brian
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: