SMC Discussion Areas
May 16, 2024, 09:28:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Merry Christmas to ME!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 14152 times)
90grad
Soda Jerks

Thanks to all our veterans for our freedom!

« on: December 17, 2009, 01:03:16 pm »

Okay, here's the loooooong story...

About 4 years ago, I heard from a guy at work that a family-owned hardware store not 10 miles from my house used to have an old soda machine.  The guy worked there when he was a teenager.  My boss at the time had a teenage son who was working there.  I knew the kid.  So, I stopped in after work (I pass the place EVERY day and have bought stuff there - great store) and talked to my boss's son (Kyle).  Kyle tells me there is a machine in the storage shed and it's been there for years.  He takes me back, and buried under rags, boxes, corregated plastic is a 1957 Vendo 110.  The machine has minor surface rust on the paint, especially the white, but it was complete.  It had been in the storage shed for about 30 years.

Then, I talked to the store owner, and he said he would not sell it.  His father and grandfather (both now deceased) got the machine originally from Coca Cola.  He said he thought about getting it out of there and redoing it.  I stopped in there every few months or so - no dice.  My contact at work (the guy who worked there as a teenager) told me the store owner's mother once sold her late husband's 1/2-complete hot rod car because her son (the store owner) had always said he was going to do something with it and never did.  So, I got the idea she might sell the machine to me.  I went in there one evening, but she said she would have to talk to her son -  censored.  So, I let the thing drop.

Over the past 2 years, I've gotten to know the store owner pretty well due to some business dealings.  He's a very straight-up guy and is quite nice.  He has seen how much I love these machines and am just a collector.  So, a few months ago, he told me he would let me buy the machine off of him.  

For the record, our business relationship was purely business.  I am confident he let me get the machine because he considers me his friend.  In no way did I decide to do business with his company to influence his decision.  His hardware company handles MANY commercial contracts with my organization, and he and I were paired on one of them.  His company was the only place in the area that handles the type of work we needed.  

That said, yesterday, he and I were finishing up another project we were both involved with, and he said I could stop by today and pick it up.  I asked him how much he wanted for it (the answer is at the end of this message)......

So, I go there today with my wife.  The owner had the machine pulled out of the storage shed.  It has surface rust, but it isn't bad.  He didn't have the keys, but I got the numbers off the locks and can order the keys from Funtronics.  The belt area looks good and I could see the underside of the belt when I had it in the truck.  Very small areas of surface rust, but no rot.  The paint is faded, but I planned on getting this redone.  I have a friend who is an expert woodworker, so he can redo the wood framing if necessary.  I can handle the electrical and interior stuff.  It's a large coin door model, with a change-giving mech.

When I get the replacement keys, I will post interior shots.  For now, here are 3 of the outside.

Oh yeah, the price.............................. $10 (yep, ten bucks)!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 02:08:55 pm by 90grad » Logged

Wayne

Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Cavalier 51 (1953)
Cavalier Airline Cooler
7-Up Picnic Cooler
Vendo 110 (1957)
VMC 56 Bottle (1964)
VMC 56 Can
Westinghouse Master Water Bath Cooler
Westinghouse Standard Ice Cooler
Westinghouse WB-102 (1963)
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 01:26:09 pm »

Nice! biggrin biggrin laugh

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 01:59:38 pm »

Santa is never that good to me. Congrats on a great find, and finding a machine with known history!

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
sodaworks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 02:10:42 pm »

Score!!

TERRY@SODAWORKS RESTORATIONS
Lots of Round Top machines
Buy-Sell-Trade-Restorations
cokecolaman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 04:08:16 pm »

At that price, I will take a dozen! Oo

VMC Coke 88 (nice original)
VMC Pepsi 81
VMC Orange Crush 81
VMC Squirt 81
VMC Dr. Pepper 81
VMC RC 81
VMC 7up 81 st
Vendo 44 original
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
Cavalier 33
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 04:12:37 pm »

Again, you guys prove my theory of "Patience and Persistence" pays off in the long run ! ! !
Congrats on the purchase, if you can really call this a purchase...

Quick recent story.
There's a neon clock in my travels to my archery shop, every time I have stopped, nobody is home... Last trip by and the clock and mounting bracket are gone! veryangry

My six cents,

Jim

Marvin
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 04:20:56 pm »

Good buy.  Wish I knew of a few around here.
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 05:15:12 pm »

Congrats on the great deal on the machine...
Good story and excellent find... I'd drop by with a nice box of Christmas Candies for him next week!

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Ltransam
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 05:23:54 pm »

Nice !!!!  It's Always better to be a Straight -up & Honest with People !! I have Always been Bewared for it ..

Glascock Counter Top
VMC 81 7Up
Vendo-110-81D-V-56 V-23
Jacobs Pepsi-56
Stoner Cookie &5 Pull Pastry& 180 Candy
Kelvinator FS-51(Canada)
Cavalier's C-55-E-C-55-D
Selmix Sprite
Selmix Pepsi on Draugh
pepsi-perk
10 Cent Member

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 05:56:04 pm »

Shows how persistence, respect and kindness can pay off in the end.  Nice find with an excellent story behind it.  Thanks for sharing!  Still hunting for my "barn find".
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: