SMC Discussion Areas
May 09, 2024, 03:11:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Machine USS-8-64, Need some help!  (Read 12930 times)
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 09:46:35 pm »

JD,

Welcome aboard!  I have a USS 64 as well but I wanted to stock it with the old glass 8 oz. bottles.  I contacted all of the Coke distributors in Southeast Michigan (all corporately owned) and they will not sell to individuals.  I did find one that would but they had a 25 case minimum!!!

I resorted to contacting the Coca Cola Bottlers Association in Atlanta.  http://www.ccbanet.com/

They directed me to the only independently owned Coca Cola Bottler in Michigan which happens to be in the Upper Peninsula.  Luckily, I get up there for business a few times a year and they were willing to sell me cases of the small bottles at wholesale which was about $13.00 a case last time I bought some.  You might try CCBA to see if there is an independent in your area but they seem to be few and far between these days.

Good luck--the V63 and USS 64 are both great machines.

drinking Tim drinking
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 09:56:49 pm »

Welcome to SMC!!
My USS-64 is buried in the shop but will go take a look Mon. Think it is a 1973.
Creighton
JDAugie
5 Cent Member

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 10:15:40 pm »

$13 for a case of 24 is the range I was thinking when I started this quest.  The markings on my machine say it had 10oz bottles in it.  As I said, I found 12 and 8oz bottles at the groceries, but no 10oz.  Do they still make those?

Thanks,
John
USS-8-64
VF-63
Williams Gorgar
JDAugie
5 Cent Member

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 10:17:32 pm »

Well, you can't really see in the small file size on the pic.  Maybe I can get a closer shot tomorrow.  But the labels say 10oz bottle.

John

Thanks,
John
USS-8-64
VF-63
Williams Gorgar
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 10:46:22 pm »

Have not seen 10 oz bottles in quite some time.  The 12oz Cokes from Mexico available at Costco and Sam's Club vend nicely and the cane sugar formula is the best.  I think those run about $18-$19 a case but it is so good!  I have also picked up Mexican Fanta Orange in the past.  The other thing that you can watch for is IBC products.  The supermarkets in my area run that on sale two 6 packs for $5 every now and then.  They have a good rootbeer, creme soda and black cherry soda and those will vend nicely as well.

drinking Tim drinking
JDAugie
5 Cent Member

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 11:01:38 pm »

Yeah,  I like the IBC.  Thanks.

Thanks,
John
USS-8-64
VF-63
Williams Gorgar
Pat Pixley
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2011, 11:14:07 pm »

also watch you local Walmart sometime they will carry The mexican Pepsi by the case   and Orange Crush.
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 03:43:46 pm »

Welcome!  Looks like you got a good machine there, I'm a big fan of the USS machines, they are very versatile and always decent prices.  I've had 4 of them so far and have a pretty good stock of parts if you need anything.

There is a metal clip that goes across the center of the light cover, that holds the cover back.  I can take a look and see if I have one sitting around and get it in the mail to you.  I'd just go with plexi on the cover, its cheap and easy to cut and work with.  All of the ones that I have seen are clear, but I think it would look better with a white piece (can be a little harder to find).

There are some good threads around with photos of USS machines, I can try to get the link in a few.

Looks like you are missing the key as well, do you have the locking bar?  I typically replace the lock with one that you can get for file cabinets at Home Depot or Lowes, it takes a little bit of work to get it to fit (small file job on the door, and squaring off the end of the lock).  Its a cheap and easy solution.

Pulling the woodgrain off isn't too bad, take a razor blade and score the edges, then just start peeling.  Usually the paint underneath is a black primer, you can use GooGone to get the sticker residue off when you are done.  I got lucky with one machine, and it was a nice shiny white under the woodgrain.  I left it since it looked good, and was pretty happy.  

JDAugie
5 Cent Member

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2011, 04:44:28 pm »

Yeah,  I was kind of leery at first with the USS-8-64, being newer than I started looking for, But the tag says 5-72 so that was really the start of my teen years and that kind of works memorabilia wise. Plus the versatility can't be beat. I did need the lock and locking bar, but I picked one up and it just arrived today. As far as the clips go, A picture would help me alot to see what they are.  I only see spots top and bottom on my machine, nothing in the center. I know that on the bigger version of the machine (is it a 12-64).  I go back and forth on the woodgrain.  It's authentic but it is damaged.  It's discolored and rippled in the corner. I'd love to see the pic of yours in white.  I think I'll have to take mine into photoshop, play with it and see how it looks in white, or red.  I have the white bottle door so I'm note sure what would look best.  Does anyone have replacement woodgrain?

Thanks,
John
USS-8-64
VF-63
Williams Gorgar
JDAugie
5 Cent Member

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2011, 04:47:44 pm »

Also, Collecture, is that mixture 10 parts water to 1 part CLR? or vice-versa?

Thanks,
John
USS-8-64
VF-63
Williams Gorgar
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: