SMC Discussion Areas
May 09, 2024, 04:44:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Machine USS-8-64, Need some help!  (Read 12931 times)
JDAugie
5 Cent Member

« on: February 13, 2011, 01:06:10 pm »

I mistakenly posted this request in the Chit chat section first, Sorry for any confusion!! I think this is the right place for it now.

Hey All,
       Just got my first machine, Actually the 2nd, but the first I started to work on, (there's a story).  I'm pulling it apart (just a little) to clean and assess the condition and I ran into a couple questions.  First, I'm cleaning the galvanized steel shelves and wondered if anyone had a good process for that.  There is some discoloration and some whiteish residue.  I think the white is zinc oxidation. Is that right?  Is there a way to get them clean without removing the zinc protection? 
      The second issue is that it is missing it's bulb cover over the fluorescent in the selection door.  I was going to get a new piece cut but don't know if it should be plexi or glass and if it should be clear or white. Also the clips are missing, does anyone have spares or pics of what they look like? If I can see what I need I might be able to come up with a substitute.  I bought a manual from somebody, But the xeroxes were not detailed enough to see what the small parts looked like.  Any Ideas?  I've been learning a lot reading through this site. Thanks for any info.

Thanks,
John
USS-8-64
VF-63
Williams Gorgar
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 02:58:44 pm »

First, I'm cleaning the galvanized steel shelves and wondered if anyone had a good process for that.  There is some discoloration and some whiteish residue.  I think the white is zinc oxidation. Is that right?  Is there a way to get them clean without removing the zinc protection?

Welcome to the site!
Can't help with the parts as I've never owned or physically seen a 64, but as far as the shelves...

Soak them in a 10-1 mixture of CLR and water, but don't leave them too long as it will take the galvanizing off (10-15 minutes should be sufficient).

So if you got the fingers, we will read the long story about the first machine. I think everyone here has a long story, so maybe we can help!

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
JDAugie
5 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 03:58:56 pm »

Maybe I exaggerate.  For some reason I've gotten a bug up about buying machines from my youth. We're planning a rec room in the basement and I've sort of jumped the gun.  I bought a GORGAR pinball machine in January and Just as I was finishing up the rehab on it (it really only needed some cleaning, waxing and new rubber) one of the pinball sites got me thinking a Coke machine would be a good addition to the gameroom.  I did little research but at first look I decided I wanted a Coke machine of the 60's era (my youth) square top bottle pull type. Perhaps a V56 or v63.  I found something on Ebay that was local to me. The owner knew nothing about it and from pictures and visiting Soda Machines.com I figures it was a V56.  Since it was close, I went to take a look.  While it was basically what I wanted and it cooled, It was missing a lot of parts (shelves, coin op, lights didn't work) and it needed alot of body work. There was a big dent in the front on the edge of the vend door and a lot of rust inside.  I was too daunted to take it on and continued my search.  I found another one on Ebay that wasn't attracting any attention.  Again the owner wasn't really knowledgable about its make and model.  After a little research I decided it was a v-63 and bid on it.  It wasn't a coke machine exactly, it was Dr Pepper and Coke.  It had a split sign and a very dirty exterior.  I bid half heartedly and did no more research on it.  Suprisingly my bid won.  I picked it up without having seen it before except the one pic on ebay.  While thrilled that I finally had a machine, I was dissapointed, as I discovered it was set up for cans only and I had envisioned a bottle machine. Also none of the lights worked ( infact there was no sign fixture in it).  It also needs a lot of inside cleanup.  a good amount of steel oxidation and some severe rust on the compressor, (or evaporator actually, I think) floor.  So since I really wanted a bottle machine (I thought), and I got the Dr Pepper machine at such a good price, I set it aside and went to look at another machine that I read about on Craigslist. This was the USS-8-64.  Again I was unaware of much info.  I found the model number on the plate when I first went to look at it.  While it was a little newer than I had at first wanted ( it's 1972, still my jr high years), I liked the fact that it could vend bottles or cans and at a variety of sizes. But though it had been stored in an unheated trailer for a number of years, It looked fairly good.  It had been broken into and damaged, The door was bent to get it open and the fluorescent vend door bulb had been damaged but to my untrained eye it looked otherwise good.  After hemming and hawing for a few days and after some expensive tries at buying glass bottled Coke, I decided to buy it. 
     Now as I try to clean it up I find more extensive work that needs to be done.  Though, as a newbie, I'm glad that there is little in the way of rust and the cooling system seems in very good shape.  I found it was missing the door lock bar and the sign light starter socket was broken and unusable.  All the other bulbs were bad and the vend door flo bulb socket was broken.  But all the major systems seem to work and it's cleaning up good.  There are a lot of scratches on the outside, but I don't think I'm going to attempt a repaint.  I like the logo/wording and don't want to cover it up I think that I will repaint the white on the shell but leave the red.  Most of the ugliest scratches are on the white and none are really rusting too much.  I do want to think about replacing the woodgrain with red.  I saw someone else on the site here has done it.  I know the woodgrain is authentic to the 70's but the red will make it look older and more like I originally wanted.  More importantly, my wife really hates the fake woodgrain look.  But that sounds like a big project so I'm putting that off for now. 
     Anyway, I ramble on.  Maybe I'll still look for an all bottle machine. But, I've been very discouraged by the lack of bottle soda at a reasonable price.  I guess I could fill it with beer.  I think once I get the 8-64 up and running and I have more time to look into finding bottled soda, I'll decide.  I've been told I could fairly easily convert the Dr Pepper v63 to bottles.  Maybe if I conquer the rust there I'll look into that.  Thanks all for reading my ramblings.

John

Thanks,
John
USS-8-64
VF-63
Williams Gorgar
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 05:23:00 pm »

John,
I was expecting the old story of how you took it apart many many years ago and it has just sat disassembled in the corner of the garage. Your story isn't that bad.
If I were you, I'd keep the USS machine. Get the V-63 up and running and sell it - maybe make it a kegerator and sell it to a local frat house! You could sell the can rack separately and maybe make a little money.
The USS machine, while not exactly what you want, is a great machine because (as you know) it will vend both bottles and cans. Most other machines are going to be either bottles or cans. Bottle soda is expensive and canned soda is cheap. If you need your soda in a bottle, maybe another member that lives near you can point you towards a good place to buy some - where you located? Of course, there is nothing like a COLD beer from a soda machine and beer tastes best from a bottle.
My five cents....

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Victor C-14
JDAugie
5 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 08:26:18 pm »

Well, I haven't given up on the v63. Maybe get it fixed up for the back patio.  I live in the western suburbs outside Philadelphia.  There is a Coke distributor a couple miles away.  Maybe they can point me in the right direction.  I got some 12 oz Mexican Coke in the grocery, but it was $1.35 per bottle and I found 6 packs of 8oz bottles at Wegmans grocery at $4.99 for 6.  So that's something but pretty expensive compared to cans at 12 for $2-2.50. I'm sure some of the rack will be stocked with bottled beer...

Thanks,
John
USS-8-64
VF-63
Williams Gorgar
TimHiFi

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 08:33:20 pm »

I have a USS-8-64 model, date made on the tag says 8/74. My selection light cover is made of glass, it’s a little thinner than 1/8” thick and 19” long by 1 5/16” wide, mine does not have any clips, the glass slides in top end first and then you put the bottom of the glass in next, which drops down about 5/16”, which leaves about 3/16” at the top behind the chrome metal. This holds the glass in place, to remove the glass, slide it up (about 3/8”), pull on the bottom of the glass, and it slides out.

For the interior parts, I used the Electrolysis – rust removal method [http://antique-engines.com/electrol.asp], I than painted everything in hammer tone paint. Just got everything together a couple of weeks ago, and it now looks and works like new.
JDAugie
5 Cent Member

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 08:40:09 pm »

That appears to be the way the glass would go into my machine.  But, as you can see by the pic, above, there are holes for clips as called out on the parts list in the manual.  I don't know what they would do, except maybe make it a little harder to vandalize or keep the glass from ratteling

Thanks,
John
USS-8-64
VF-63
Williams Gorgar
TimHiFi

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 08:45:20 pm »

Mine looks exactly the same as your picture, I was wondering why there were holes there, but it looks like there never was any clips on mine. Maybe something could be added (clips), if there was an issue with people removing the glass and bulb?
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 09:07:30 pm »

I am imagining a spring steel clip that held the glass firmly up against the aluminum frame.

John,
In your  last picture, it looks like there is an alignment hole in the center and two spot welds on each side of it. It also looks like there is a stud positioned in the alignment hole - are you sure that your clips are not just broken off?

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Victor C-14
JDAugie
5 Cent Member

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 09:43:20 pm »

Not really sure.  It looks clean.  As you say the slot with a hole above it and two spot welds on either side of the hole. The same configuration, with a smaller slot on the bottom.  Another Pic.

John

Thanks,
John
USS-8-64
VF-63
Williams Gorgar
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: