SMC Discussion Areas
May 25, 2024, 01:44:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Machine gambling...win some you lose some  (Read 3803 times)
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« on: January 24, 2012, 10:47:47 pm »

A few weeks back an early CS-64 popped up on Craigslist about 10 miles from me, so I went to go check it out.  The guy who had it said the compressor lines were cut, but I at least had to take a look.  When I got there, he showed me two copper lines coming out of the back of the machine that were cut off, and my next thought was to look on the side of the machine for the screw holes from the water fountain.  Sure enough, the lines that were cut were from a side mounted fountain.  The power plug was cut off at the back, normally indicating that something must have been wrong with the compressor.  I didn't want to gamble on a dead compressor, so I told him all about the machine and sent along the manuals and some more info on it. 

I got an email from him tonight telling me to call him right away...he told me he was able to wire in a new plug and sure enough, it fired up quiet as could be, and got cold in no time...then the bad news...he said he just sold it.  $200.  Oh well, would have been a nice restoration, everything was pretty straight and it was complete, win some you lose some. 

Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 10:54:25 pm »

You did the right thing. Another will come along.
Creighton
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 12:50:24 am »

Good for you.  You helped the guy out, I'm really surprised he didn't ge back in touch with you before he sold it.  Especially once he found out it cooled.   If there is any carma floating around in your neck of the woods, a nice round top will come knocking on your door.

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
1959 Williams Pinch Hitter
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 11:00:20 am »

SO did he call just to rub it in ? or what .

"Hey thanks for the great advice,but sorry sold out , Oh.. did you want it?"... Thanks buddy! glare

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
bcharlton
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 11:02:48 am »

I call this 'kissing a few frogs"

It is the life we have signed up for.

Sometimes we do get lucky.

BC

bcexpress

Vendo 39 Original
Cavalier C-51 Restored
Cavalier C-96 Restored (almost done)
GE Double Chiller Restored
Cavalier C-33 7 Up Restored
Vendo 27b Pepsi
Vendo 81b
Westinghouse wd-5 / WE-6
3 Stoner Candy/Theatre/Junior/180
Bastian Blessing Bobtail soda fountain
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
briandr1
25 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 11:09:15 pm »

I bet he decided to keep it since it worked, he prob bought it with intentions to fix it. Then you come along and he discovers it worked the whole time and decicded to keep it and didnt wanna tell you, win some loose some. just my two cents.

selectivend 64 sa
2 cavalier 96
1975 bally hi deal em pinball machine
1920 wate and fate penny  scale
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 01:44:17 am »

He actually bought it for his wife, she was a big coke collector, and he surprised her with it one day...needless to say she hated it and it sat in his garage for a few years until he finally decided to let it go.  I got an email that said "call me right away" which got me excited, then the obvious 'it works, but I sold it'.  More or less, he just called me to thank me for the advice, and to let me know what happened with it, nice guy can't be mad at something like that.

I'm probably in the karma hole a few for the V-44 that I got a few years back, the guy kept true and only sold it to me because I was the first one to email...$1200 and he had offers for twice that.  I cleaned it up, fixed a couple things and doubled my money in two months. 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 01:47:46 am by tkaz » Logged

TomFromJersey
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 09:27:55 am »

"Character" is something we show when there's nothing in it for us.............Kudos to you!
   Tom

Grapette Quickold Standard
AMI I200 AMI H200
Wurlitzer 61, 600, 700, 750, 800, 1080, 2100
Packard Musical Bar
Chicago Coin BandBox
15 remote speakers and counting
A bunch of Grapette stuff
Some really cool vending machines
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: