SMC Discussion Areas
May 03, 2024, 02:09:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HIRES Ideal 55 Slider Extra holes and Liner Opinions?  (Read 22219 times)
johnnyselman
10 Cent Member

« on: April 23, 2016, 09:18:56 pm »

Well after 4 years of trying, I finally talked the owner out of his Hires 55 and Funhouse pinball.  I tore down the 55 today for a complete restore.
 First question :what would be the reason for 4 extra screws  (with thread inserts) beside the Coin Mech ? Deposit box maybe??
 Second Opinion needed: The machine will be sold when done with previous owner given first right of refusal.  The liner is in great shape. If you were a buyer would this liner left as is  ( but cleaned better) add value? subtract value? Neutral? over  being powdered coated ?

http://s373.photobucket.com/user/countdownpin/slideshow/Hires%20Root%20Beer%20Ideal%2055%20Machine

« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 09:21:46 pm by johnnyselman » Logged
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 11:54:14 pm »

Many members that restore the Ideal coolers if cooling do NOT remove the liners.  This box is "cold wall" insulated so the cooling tubes is like spaghetti and are soldered to the liner vertically.

If your approach is to remove the liner ( a good one imo) I have powdercoated the liners with a silver color and the look decent. Removing the cooling is a ton of work but if your are wanting to do a quality restorative my nickels worth of free advice would be to remove it. 
mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 11:58:21 pm »

Here's mine. They look great restored.

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Ideal Embossed Coke Slider
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Theater w/Gum Wheel Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg V200 Jukebox Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
HowDueYouDue
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 05:59:03 am »

Good luck with whatever you choose; looking forward to the after pics

I dreamed I had a good job and I got well paid.
I blew it all at the penny arcade.

-Eric Clapton & B.B. King
johnnyselman
10 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 08:53:34 am »

I should have been more clear. I have already taking the liner out for new insulation and check for rust. In the long run its just much easier to do a good job with it out of the way.  I found all the coils are detached . I had considered having a new liner made and may check price on that. Has anyone  hade a new liner made if so what did it cost?

Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 09:28:11 am »

That liner looks pretty good.  My recommendation would be to have it powder coated.  My blaster uses a 70 grit glass bead.  There are some intricate bends / angles in the original liner on the sides it may not be worth the cost!

I would recommend making new floor through.  The original one can be taken out and easily be traced, and reproduced!
Ltransam
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 06:15:16 pm »

The extra holes could have been were a penny box was .Slider Bob has a coin mech with this extra changer on it .we were guessing it's for bottle deposit  tounge tounge

Glascock Counter Top
VMC 81 7Up
Vendo-110-81D-V-56 V-23
Jacobs Pepsi-56
Stoner Cookie &5 Pull Pastry& 180 Candy
Kelvinator FS-51(Canada)
Cavalier's C-55-E-C-55-D
Selmix Sprite
Selmix Pepsi on Draugh
Slider-Bob
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 06:27:51 pm »

Here you go Johnny. You can see the lever a few inches up from the bottom that joins the 2 boxes.

Restored Coke 81D
Restored Pepsi, 7up VMC 81
Restored Popperette
Restored Wayne 60
Slider-Bob
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2016, 06:49:15 pm »

I think the 4 back mech tubes were filled with pennies.  

My guess is the front mech used to be a nickel rejector, and seller wanted to raise it to 6 cents, so he installed the back mech, and replaced the nickel rejector in the front with a dime rejector.  When you pull up on the bottle gate/flapper, it engages both mechs, and spits out 4 pennies change in the back mech drawer that is silver on the bottom.

Just my theory. I still have both boxes if anyone wants more info.

Restored Coke 81D
Restored Pepsi, 7up VMC 81
Restored Popperette
Restored Wayne 60
johnnyselman
10 Cent Member

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2016, 07:24:20 pm »

Thanks Slider-Bob. The screw spacing looks about the same. Would you measure that spacing for me? My mech don't have a lever coming out of it. The machine had original paint and there's no color difference there so I wonder if it was just pre drilled and inserted but never added. Have you had sliders with the inserts installed with out boxes?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: