SMC Discussion Areas
May 03, 2024, 07:05:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UPDATED May 19 2013-A description of pre-1960 VENDO Co. business  (Read 32763 times)
vendo39
10 Cent Member

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 09:23:54 pm »

Still more and then I promise to stop typing until I see the stuff. 

Elmer F. Pierson was born in Kansas City, Missouri, on August 27, 1896.  He graduated form the Kansas City School of Law in 1919 before entering the Kansas City business community.  He worked in the real estate business and was associated with the Farm and Home Savings and Loan Association before founding the Vendo Company, a manufacturer of vending machines, with his brother, John T. Pierson, in 1937.
Pierson was active throughout his life in business and civic affairs in Kansas City.  He served as president of the Kansas City Chamber of Commerce in 1945, director of the National Association of Manufacturers in 1946, president of the National Automatic Merchandising Association in 1947, director of the United States Chamber of Commerce in 1957, and its vice president from 1960-61.
Pierson’s lifelong interest in the arts and education prompted him to donate time and resource to the University of Kansas City, later the University of Missouri-Kansas City, to which he gave funds for the Pierson Auditorium in the University Center.  He donated the Pierson Sculpture Garden and numerous works of art to the Nelson Gallery; land for a public park and for Pierson Junior High School to the Turner Unified School District in Wyandotte County, Kansas; and established a distinguished professorship in music at Bethany College in Lindsborg, Kansas.
Elmer F. Pierson died in Miami Beach, Florida on February 15, 1982

DESCRIPTION OF THE PAPERS:
This collection consists of photocopies of twelve scrapbooks which were compiled following Pierson’s retirement from the Vendo Company.  They contain items Pierson felt to be of greatest personal interest were removed from the files at Vendo. The order of the original scrapbooks has been maintained.

Brian

Vendo 39, 44, 56, 81B
Vendo Changer, early
Vendo Changer, late
Dr. Pepper Queen Anne
Nesbitts Ideal 85

Popperette, Stoner JR, Stoner 180,
Stoner Theater, Mills Candy, Canteen Candy
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2013, 11:03:12 pm »

That is going to be one really interesting box to look through.  Enjoy it and share any cool finds!  A friend of mine in KC got a bunch of old photos from the archives a couple of years ago.  They digitally copied the files for him to a CD so long as he agreed not to use them for resale. 

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
1959 Williams Pinch Hitter
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
ClassicCokeLover
10 Cent Member

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 05:00:54 pm »

Very interesting find. I would love to see old production line photo's. Pack a lunch when you go to view all of this info.
I also have an untouched Vendo Junior that has the Westinghouse L-25-CF compressor. I am in the process of restoring it now. The original compressor runs, and I plan on reusing it. The coin box still had a buffalo nickel jammed in the chute. Just looking for a basket, cap catcher, and bottle door handle.

Glasco GBV-50 (original)
Glasco GBV-50 (restored)
Moderne Vendor 1920's Hershey Machine
5 Cent Hershey Machine NOS
Adams Gum Machine
toolbox

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 05:48:05 pm »

Hey Vendo 39, just wondering what's up or if you've heard from the Society ?
Have a good one.
Ted
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 01:02:01 am »

A description for NOVICES of pre-1960 VENDO Co. business.

I’m a retired novice myself out in WA State.

Where about in WA?  I live in the Tri-Cities.
toolbox

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 01:09:35 pm »

Between Edmonds and Mukilteo
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2013, 01:56:54 pm »

Nice over there!!
Spooky Ann, here.
Creighton
toolbox

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2013, 05:54:34 pm »

It’s usually ‘more nicer’ over there.
Our oldest daughter and her family
live just north of you in Colbert.
Ted
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2013, 06:25:16 pm »

Hey Ted,
If you are ever out this way let me know. Bunch of coin op stuff here at the compound.
Slapshot42 survived a visit :-)
Creighton

toolbox

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2013, 10:40:51 am »

I’d like to get on your list of survivors. I’ll let you know before I head that way again.
Thanks and have a good one.
Ted
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: