SMC Discussion Areas
May 02, 2024, 11:25:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UPDATED May 19 2013-A description of pre-1960 VENDO Co. business  (Read 32758 times)
toolbox

« on: April 15, 2013, 02:59:32 pm »

A description for NOVICES of pre-1960 VENDO Co. business.

UPDATED May 19, 2013

Updated or added text is italicized for easier locating.

I’m a retired novice myself out in WA State. My livelihood was all based on machines.
I struggled a lot with the info available on the web when researching my friend’s latest buy, a Coca-Cola vending machine. His turned out to be a Vendo 159 Top (without the Basket) mounted on a Westinghouse Standard chest with a L-25-S cooling unit. I gave him a date of 1947. On March 26th I had posted a couple pictures on this site.

During my research it appeared that a lot of the info on the web, relating to chest-type only machines, was confusing. I couldn’t find a clear definition of Vendo’s business in the pre-1960 era. I contacted the State Historical Society of Missouri Research Center - Kansas City. They explained to me what it would take to get access to or copies of their file ‘KC0084’.  This file has 21 folders, around 1,000 pages, about the Vendo Co. from 1938 through 1981. I’m unable to do either at this time.

I think it’s important to define Vendo’s business from their conception through the pre-60’s. Through my research I found that their business was founded in 1937 and was based on the manufacturing of coin operated Tops and Baskets only for mounting on the 1,000’s of Westinghouse Coca-Cola coolers that were already out in the market place. Their products turned ‘honor-pay’ coolers into ‘pay-first’ vending machines, 5 cents to 10 cents, for a 6½ oz. bottle of Coca-Cola.

On a 1938 Vendo brochure or advertisement it states, ‘The New 1938 VENDO for the exclusive use of BOTTLERS of Coca-Cola’. ‘Available For Any Standard Cooler – Ice or Electric (with flat coils only)’.
On an advertising brochure for Model 123 (Junior), 139 (Standard), 159 & Master (1941 - 1948) Vendo states that their Tops will fit on any Junior, Standard or Master Coca-Cola cooler, ice or electric. The ‘Specifications’ for each model give dimensions if mounted on a ‘(Cooler)’ and ‘Weight, Vendo only’ for their Top and Basket assemblies.

Vendo’s customers were the Coca-Cola Bottling Companies. The bottling companies were providing the coolers and Vendo Tops & Baskets to their customers - the stores, gas stations, other businesses and organizations. This is why you may see somewhere on a machine a metal nameplate, or evidence that there was one, stating that the unit was property of a bottling company. My friend’s machine just has the evidence, 4 screw holes punched with a nail-punch.

In 1946, after WWII, Vendo started their journey into the offering of complete vending machines with the V-83 vertical unit (not a chest-type).

I created an Excel spreadsheet to cover Vendo’s pre-1960 chest-type Coca-Cola machines and recorded data from the Vendo Parts and Service Manuals only. I also used the Vendo published ‘Serial Number Chart’ (for ‘Dry’ coolers only from 1946 through 1959) for some models manufacturing date ranges. I’m assuming (I know the definition) that the chart came from the KC0084 file. The Historical Society referenced it in my correspondence. I did not rely on any other web published material.

The year ranges (  ) and ‘Vendo Parts and Service Manuals’ used are listed below;
(1937) Business established. Perhaps manufactured some all round tops.
(1938) The New 1938 VENDO brochure or advertisement. The Top, pictured on a chest-type cooler, had a 29 bottle vending capacity with a center mounted coin mechanism. (Pat. No. 2099557)
(1939 & 1940) ‘1939, Junior, Standard & Master’.
(1941 - 1948) ‘Model 123 (Junior), 139 (Standard) (Pat. No. 2250816), 159 & Master’.
(The above manuals cover Tops and Baskets only. No chests or coolers were offered.)
(The below were complete machines called ‘Cooler’s offered by Vendo.)
(1946 - 1955) Model V-83, vertical.
(1948 - 1951) ‘Model V-59’ DS (Dry Standard).
(1948 - 1956) Model 6-CV, vertical.
(1949 - 1959) ‘Model V-23A Standard, (1950)V-23B Deluxe & (1954)V-23E’.
(1949 - 1957) Model V-39, vertical.

Let’s clear up the ‘Master’ confusion first. The term Master related to the width of the cooler chest. It was about 7 ½” wider than the Standard version. The Vendo spin-tops, except the Junior or 123, would fit on either one. But, because the Master was wider Vendo also included a separate cover lid and accessories to be mounted over the open area of the wider Master. Therefore, Vendo offered their (1939 & 1940) Standard, (1941 – 1948) 139 or (1941-1948) 159 units with a Master conversion lid and accessories.

Prior to 1949 there never was a V-23 offered by Vendo. It was a Model Junior or 123 Top & Basket that was sold separately, to be mounted on other manufacturer’s chests & coolers by the bottlers.

The only place that I’ve seen Model V-39 used by Vendo was for their complete vertical unit, which they started offering in 1949. If there was a V-39 chest unit it was offered after 1947 and it was still a Model 139 Top with a ‘Dry’ Basket mounted on the Vendo chest manufactured for the 1948 V-59. (The 1946-1959 Vendo Serial Number Chart did not include a V-39 chest type unit). Prior to 1948 the Model Standard, Master, 139 or 139 Master Top & Basket were sold separately, to be mounted on other manufacturer’s chests & coolers by the bottlers.

Prior to 1948 there never was a Model V-59 complete unit offered by Vendo. It was a Model 159 or 159 Master Top & Basket that was sold separately, to be mounted on other manufacturer’s chests & coolers by the bottlers. From 1948-1951 they offered a complete machine called the V-59, Dry Standard, Cooler. They called their complete machines, chest or vertical, ‘Cooler’. They did not offer a V-59 Master Cooler nor any ‘Wet’ Coolers. Now, they did continue to offer a ‘V-59’ Top and basket, and Master assemblies to be mounted on other manufacturer’s chests & coolers by the bottlers during this time.

Near as I can tell, 8 oz. bottles weren’t around until sometime in the early 60’s. They had the same outside dimensions as the 6½ oz., the glass was thinner to get more fluid in it. That’s why they weren’t returnable. They would break too easily when they tried to refill them. The vending machine couldn’t tell the difference, except maybe for the price the retailer needed to charge.

Instead of using date ranges from late 1930’s to mid 40’s, etc., I have tried to pin down actual dates that should be accurate within +/- 2 years. It’s important to collectors to be able to state a near date that their machine may be. This is just an important part of any collection. Hopefully, the reader will use the ‘latest’ date of the possibilities and try not to mislead anyone. The factor here that’s most important is the manufacturing date, not the sales or use date which is rarely known.

An important point to make here is that when a manufacturer has their production lines set-up, they don’t make changes easily to those lines, costs big bucks to do so.  When they do make major changes to a model they most likely run a quantity of the old model to carry them over till the new model can become available.

I know I’m making some pretty bold statements and that some people will say I’m full of horse-puckie, or this or that part is incorrect, or where is he coming from? I don’t mind. I just ask that if you can backup your knowledge with info that came from a Vendo publication (no hear-say) please let me know. I have no doubt that some statements may need to be corrected or clarified which I did in this update. I’d like this post to develop into something that future novices can depend on to help support the future of collecting.

We need your feedback.
Thanks and have a good one.
Ted

Updated May 19, 2013
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 01:54:02 pm by toolbox » Logged
vendo39
10 Cent Member

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 03:26:19 pm »

Wow!  That's some great information.  Here's a link to a little bit more about the file KC0084.

http://www.umkc.edu/whmckc/Collections/IKC0084.HTM

I'm in KC and have some time off this week so I may go take a look.

Brian

Brian

Vendo 39, 44, 56, 81B
Vendo Changer, early
Vendo Changer, late
Dr. Pepper Queen Anne
Nesbitts Ideal 85

Popperette, Stoner JR, Stoner 180,
Stoner Theater, Mills Candy, Canteen Candy
vendo39
10 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 03:50:27 pm »

They are pulling the box for me.   It is actually at a different city.  She said it is 21 scrapbooks with photocopies of pictures.

Brian

Vendo 39, 44, 56, 81B
Vendo Changer, early
Vendo Changer, late
Dr. Pepper Queen Anne
Nesbitts Ideal 85

msanborn
25 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 04:02:20 pm »

good stuff

Vendo 81
Vendo 39
Pepsi VMC 81
Ideal Slider
Glasco Slider
toolbox

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 07:17:48 pm »

Hey vendo39,
Thanks for the offer. You could really help this effort. Sounds like you have a good idea of the type of info I'm looking for. I don't need copies of everything, just of what you deem as important for the this project.  I'll cover your cost of getting copies at the Historical Society. I sure hope you can find a way to email the copies to me, I need to see the proof before I can make changes to the post.
Thanks also to msanborn for the comment. I'm feeling better about the post already.
kbareit
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 07:42:50 pm »

Good info, look forward to seeing more.

Cavalier 27
Jacobs 26
Ideal 55 Hires root beer, 7-Up restored
Ideal 55 Pepsi, Barqs original
Double cola,Squirt,Nesbitts,Canada Dry on deck
3 Westy 60's
3 Westy 78's
Cav 72 original
S&S 1400 WD2 Pepsi
Stoner Junior
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 08:21:14 pm »

Great post!!
Thanks,
Creighton
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 08:26:08 pm »

Brian,

Is the box they are pulling at the Kirkpatrick  State Archive in Jefferson City?  If so, its about 2 miles from my house.  Are they going to send it to you to look through?  If its here and they won't send it to KC let me know and I'd be more than willing to go look at what it has in it. 

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
1959 Williams Pinch Hitter
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
vendo39
10 Cent Member

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 09:06:23 pm »

It's in Columbia at MU.  Here's what's in the box.   Looks like only a few folders worth going through.  She's also looking for any other photos in other collections.

INVENTORY:
Folder 1.   Scrapbook I, 1938-1954
Items relating to the Vendo Company and its products, as well as the response of the company and Pierson to World War II.
Folder 2.   Scrapbook II, 1947-1958
Items relating to the Vendo Company and Pierson’s activities with the National Association of Manufacturers and the National Automatic Merchandising Association.
Folder 3.   Scrapbook III, 1945-1946
Items relating to Pierson’s work with the Kansas City Chamber of Commerce which he served as president during this time period.
Folder 4.   Scrapbook IV, 1947-1958
Items relating to the Vendo Company, especially its involvement in the agricultural sector, and Pierson’s work with Trinity Lutheran Hospital, the University of Kansas City, and the United states Chamber of Commerce.
Folder 5-9.   Scrapbook V, 1958-1962
Items relating to Pierson’s work at Vendo and with the National Automatic Merchandising Association, as well as information related to the gift of Pierson Auditorium to the University of Kansas City and land for Pierson Junior High School to the Turner Unified School District.  There are also items related to the Citation Diner in 1960 at which Pierson received the Citation Award.
Folder 10-12.   Scrapbook VI, 1960-1964
Items relating to the following:  Parkway Towers apartments;  foreign trade promotions, especially through the United States Chamber of Commerce;  donations to the University of Missouri-Kansas City;  Pierson’s work with the Eagle Scouts;  Pierson’s gift to the Turner Unified School District;  and materials related to Pierson’s receipt of the Mr. Kansas City Award and Horatio Alger Award.
Folder 13-15.   Scrapbook VII, 1964-1975
Items relating to the following:  the Turner Unified School District;  University of Missouri-Kansas City;  Trinity Lutheran Hospital;  The Nelson Gallery;  the Horatio Alger Award;  the death of Maria Kuhmann Pierson;  the Law Day Award;  the marriage of E.F. and Georgia Pierson;  A Pierson speech entitled “Review of Automatic Merchandising in 1948”;  and Pierson’s admittance to the University Consulate of the University of Missouri.
Folder 16-17.   Scrapbook VIII, 1970-1973
Items relating to the following:  The UMKC Law Day Award; congratulatory messages on the marriage of E. F. Pierson and Georgia Pierson;  Pierson Sculpture Garden;  the 1973 Jewel Ball.
Folder 18.   Scrapbook IX, 1971-1972
Items relating to the Pierson Sculpture Garden.
Folder 19.   Scrapbook X, 1963-1973
Items relating to Pierson’s work with the Eagle Scouts.
Folder 20.   Scrapbook XI, 1974-1979
Items relating to E.F. Pierson’s retirement from Vendo;  his receipt of the University of Kansas Service Citation;  the visit of the King of Sweden to Bethany College in 1976;  Pierson’s 80th birthday;  and the Nelson Gallery.
Folder 21.   Scrapbook XII, 1981
Items relating to the Nelson Gallery and E.F. Pierson’s handwritten autobiographical statement.

Brian

Vendo 39, 44, 56, 81B
Vendo Changer, early
Vendo Changer, late
Dr. Pepper Queen Anne
Nesbitts Ideal 85

vendo39
10 Cent Member

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 09:09:53 pm »

@ BrianS.   Yes they are sending the box to KC for me to go through.  I should be able to see it Thursday or Friday.

Brian

Vendo 39, 44, 56, 81B
Vendo Changer, early
Vendo Changer, late
Dr. Pepper Queen Anne
Nesbitts Ideal 85

vendo39
10 Cent Member

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 09:23:54 pm »

Still more and then I promise to stop typing until I see the stuff. 

Elmer F. Pierson was born in Kansas City, Missouri, on August 27, 1896.  He graduated form the Kansas City School of Law in 1919 before entering the Kansas City business community.  He worked in the real estate business and was associated with the Farm and Home Savings and Loan Association before founding the Vendo Company, a manufacturer of vending machines, with his brother, John T. Pierson, in 1937.
Pierson was active throughout his life in business and civic affairs in Kansas City.  He served as president of the Kansas City Chamber of Commerce in 1945, director of the National Association of Manufacturers in 1946, president of the National Automatic Merchandising Association in 1947, director of the United States Chamber of Commerce in 1957, and its vice president from 1960-61.
Pierson’s lifelong interest in the arts and education prompted him to donate time and resource to the University of Kansas City, later the University of Missouri-Kansas City, to which he gave funds for the Pierson Auditorium in the University Center.  He donated the Pierson Sculpture Garden and numerous works of art to the Nelson Gallery; land for a public park and for Pierson Junior High School to the Turner Unified School District in Wyandotte County, Kansas; and established a distinguished professorship in music at Bethany College in Lindsborg, Kansas.
Elmer F. Pierson died in Miami Beach, Florida on February 15, 1982

DESCRIPTION OF THE PAPERS:
This collection consists of photocopies of twelve scrapbooks which were compiled following Pierson’s retirement from the Vendo Company.  They contain items Pierson felt to be of greatest personal interest were removed from the files at Vendo. The order of the original scrapbooks has been maintained.

Brian

Vendo 39, 44, 56, 81B
Vendo Changer, early
Vendo Changer, late
Dr. Pepper Queen Anne
Nesbitts Ideal 85

BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2013, 11:03:12 pm »

That is going to be one really interesting box to look through.  Enjoy it and share any cool finds!  A friend of mine in KC got a bunch of old photos from the archives a couple of years ago.  They digitally copied the files for him to a CD so long as he agreed not to use them for resale. 

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
1959 Williams Pinch Hitter
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
ClassicCokeLover
10 Cent Member

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 05:00:54 pm »

Very interesting find. I would love to see old production line photo's. Pack a lunch when you go to view all of this info.
I also have an untouched Vendo Junior that has the Westinghouse L-25-CF compressor. I am in the process of restoring it now. The original compressor runs, and I plan on reusing it. The coin box still had a buffalo nickel jammed in the chute. Just looking for a basket, cap catcher, and bottle door handle.

Glasco GBV-50 (original)
Glasco GBV-50 (restored)
Moderne Vendor 1920's Hershey Machine
5 Cent Hershey Machine NOS
Adams Gum Machine
toolbox

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 05:48:05 pm »

Hey Vendo 39, just wondering what's up or if you've heard from the Society ?
Have a good one.
Ted
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 01:02:01 am »

A description for NOVICES of pre-1960 VENDO Co. business.

I’m a retired novice myself out in WA State.

Where about in WA?  I live in the Tri-Cities.
toolbox

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 01:09:35 pm »

Between Edmonds and Mukilteo
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2013, 01:56:54 pm »

Nice over there!!
Spooky Ann, here.
Creighton
toolbox

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2013, 05:54:34 pm »

It’s usually ‘more nicer’ over there.
Our oldest daughter and her family
live just north of you in Colbert.
Ted
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2013, 06:25:16 pm »

Hey Ted,
If you are ever out this way let me know. Bunch of coin op stuff here at the compound.
Slapshot42 survived a visit :-)
Creighton

toolbox

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2013, 10:40:51 am »

I’d like to get on your list of survivors. I’ll let you know before I head that way again.
Thanks and have a good one.
Ted
toolbox

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2013, 01:38:56 pm »

On May 19, 2013 I updated this posting. Updated or added text was italicized for easier locating.
Thanks and have a good one. Ted
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: