SMC Discussion Areas
May 18, 2024, 06:02:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Minit Pop popcorn machine  (Read 19522 times)
Jeffmon
25 Cent Member

« on: April 15, 2013, 08:18:08 pm »

Well I was going to wait till it was scrubbed down before starting this post so I could include some pics but more I disassemble this thing more I realise that it is nothing like a soda machine, it looks like I might need a lil help along the way for even something as simple as cleaning it lol  help

First question... At the bottom of the oil vat canister/heater, there's a piece at the very bottom that looks to be Transite, can it be removed and if not is it ok to get it wet and clean it with a detergent ?
Secondly  ... What do you guys use to get the two porcelain knobs white again, I've tried everything but can't seem to get them clean...
Also, I'm assuming that a food grade grease has to be used for all the gearing, do you guys recommend anything specific ? And last but not least, are all these machines keyed alike ? There are no numbers on either lock so I'm assuming they were, I am missing both keys so if that is the case, would anyone be willing to sell me a copy of their keys ?  The door lock isn't a big deal as I can replace it, but I can't do anything with the dam coin box till I have a key to open it ! 

Thanks in advance for the spoon feeding  tounge

Jeff !
PopcornShop
10 Cent Member

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 10:19:51 pm »

Well Jeff it looks like your off to a good start.. Ive seen some use grease and some use oil to lubricate the gear mech below.. But as far as food grade im not sure on that one.. I just use a light weight oil for electric motors.. Oil that is used for that type of thing.. oil the gear mech below with oil as well at all the key points.. Maybe Matt can also chime in on what he uses.. But if you want to call me that would be fine... I could give you a few ideas to try to clean things up  biggrin 
MCarter
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 10:27:22 pm »

I used Food grade motor oil. Comes in a little can. What are the knobs off of?  I washed mine in the dishwasher when it was disassembled. As for anything else just ask and we can walk you thru it.  Do you got a manual?

Matt

RC VMC - 81 Orignal
Vendo V-56 Two Tone Round Top ~~ Currently in use
Seeburg 100 G Jukebox ~~ Restored
Minit Pop Popcorn Machine ~~ Restored
Cavalier 55-D ~~ Restored
Rockola 1426 ~~ Orignal--- For Sale
Chicago Coin Band Box ~~~ Restored
MCarter
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 10:30:29 pm »

As for the key I would just drill the lock. None of the machines I had, none of them never had any numbers on them. You will need a fork key and the 2 new locks.

Matt

RC VMC - 81 Orignal
PopcornShop
10 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 10:33:54 pm »

Matt,   those knob things are the insulators to the heating element that sits below the cooking basket..  What is the brand of oil you use as far as food grade is concerned?
Jeffmon
25 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 11:33:52 pm »

Thanks guys, no Matt i don't have a manual, I searched around for one on the net but all i found was one on ebay that a guy put together himself, but nothing in way of an actual service manual, would definitely be great to have one!  do either of you know the answer to my first question  ? And yes the two porcelain knobs are the insulators for the heating element that sites at the bottom on that cement board which i'm assuming is Transite or some other form of asbestos, that's the peice I was asking about in my first question  ! Anyhow thanks for the help, I'm sure i will have a million more questions by the time I'm done so hope you guys dont mind, the help is greatly appreciated  !

Jeff  !
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 10:18:39 am »

I use this on all small gearing systems and electric motors and have used it exclusively on Popperettes, U-Pop-It's & Minit-Pop's:

Brian
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 10:25:00 am »

Also, as far as cleaning the ceramic knobs (steatite/alumina) goes, if they are just discolored due to heat you can try some 000 or 0000 steel wool and soapy water. The water and soap acts more as a lubricant and means to flow the resulting debris from the ceramic surface. Other than that, I wouldn't try anything more agressive. As far as I know, the knobs aren't currently reproduced so please be careful!

Locks - Drill 'em and install new!

Brian
MCarter
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 11:36:24 am »

The guy selling the manual is me. I made a copy of a original manual I had and some notes and other useful things that could help.

Matt

RC VMC - 81 Orignal
Jeffmon
25 Cent Member

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 11:38:06 am »

Thanks Brian, I will look for it on my home tonight, now that isn't food grade right ? Does it not have to be ?
I'm really enjoying this, I'm finding that due to all the cooking oil used over the years  covering the inside, nothing is corroded  or rusted ,not  to mention  almost everything  is stainless  or aluminum , it's a nice change from soda machines ! I will post some before and after pics when I'm done, this thing was horribly dirty, I think the counter is at 63000 and probably never cleaned  since the day it was put into service  lol  anyhow thanks again guys, I will keep you updated on my progress !

Jeff !
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: