SMC Discussion Areas
May 18, 2024, 03:40:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this guy running me up?  (Read 18875 times)
SLIDER
10 Cent Member

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 09:25:19 pm »

This type of crap is unfortunately becoming the EBay norm.
Most everything is always shill bid up.

S & S 700 Royal Crown Chest
 Ideal 55 slider 7 Up
Silver King Hot nut vendor
Tokheim 39 "highboy" GULF NO-NOX gas pump
Watling penny Scale
 Popcorn sez machine
 Du Grainer candy bar & Gum Machine
 Wurlitzer 1400 Jukebox and wall box
 Exhibit Mystery PinBall
 Bally Gayetey Bingo
National
jbrooks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 11:09:20 pm »

ebay sucks, they cant handle the size of their community so they do nothing to shill bidders.
stuntpilot
10 Cent Member

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 06:08:44 am »

The real question here is what's it worth? The days of getting a nice collectible piece like this on E-Bay for half price are long gone.

It doesn't really matter if a shill bidder bids it up, this piece is going to go for what it's worth or slightly below,  he was outbid by someone legitimate. I'm assuming your the guy with 1244 feedbacks right.
There's just too many collectors that know what these are worth even though I'm not one of them. A quick google search could give me the answer in an instant.

I've done alot of selling on E-Bay and this is common practice of a new bidder who doesn't have a clue how to play the game, bids it up 25.00 at a time until he outbids you.
If he would have known your bid he would have outbid you with one bid instead of 10. There's only one way to know when you get close to the top bidders bid is when it falls within the raised bid requirement, even if your the seller.

When you need to complain is if he raises the bid up and then cancels the auction at the last minute, that's when you've been found guilty, the seller doesn't want to get stuck buying his own piece and then paying the fees.
The only time of an auction that you should pay attention to is the last 30 seconds, if your bidding before that your just wasting your time and driving up the price yourself.
Put the E-bay app on your smartphone so you get alerted 15 minutes before the end of an auction and then determine if the price is still right, then bid accordingly.

Looking at the bid profile you could say that anyone of these three could be driving the price up and be a shill bidder.
1244 has 13 bids
289 has 5
357 has 4
All of these bidders are just driving the price up on themselves if they are legitimate.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 06:51:45 am by stuntpilot » Logged
Funtronics
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 07:08:00 am »

Im waiting to the end to put my $2,000 bid in.  biggrin

Rod
Fun-Tronics
stuntpilot
10 Cent Member

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 07:27:13 am »

I'll go $2500 tounge tounge  And I despise Pepsi, veryangry veryangry I'm a 25 year Coke man. Also notice how the guy put Coke, Coca-Cola in the title to bring in all the collectors, another good selling trick.

I was watching a Dole Super last week, guy had a $729 starting price and had a bid the first day.  This is double what it's worth, it was nice but not $729 nice! The last 10 seconds it went to $739 biggrin

I forgot to mention you have the fools out there also.

This piece can't be worth $1025 can it? jawdrop I guess I could Goggle it but I don't want too. biggrin
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 07:44:38 am by stuntpilot » Logged
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 09:31:34 am »

Its worth whatever the market will bear. The bigger and more important question is, why would anyone want such an UGLY cooler!! I saw that ad hour after it was listed and that's what I thought. I never thought it would be in a bidding war for a non-embossed generic odd looking cooler.

Tim
tooth350
5 Cent Member

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 09:40:34 am »

Just to let you guys know     the high bidder has an automatic bid and thats why it looks like he's bidding against himself and raising the price, if you unlock the automatic bids you'll see what i'am talking about.
Seven181
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 10:19:10 am »

This happens more often than you would think. It's a set up for sure. Either the guy knows the person or he set this name up and started bidding. They are def driving up the price. I hope you get it for a good price, but games are being played. I could see this ending and then in a week or two, guess what........it's listed again!

Brian

Brian  happydrinkers
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 11:29:43 am »

That zero feedback bidder is definitely a shill.  The pattern of bidding bears it out.  Hope you still get a good price Curtis.  This is one of the reasons that I rarely bid on collectibles on EBay anymore.  Too much nonsense going on.

drinking Tim drinking
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 11:47:56 am »

That zero feedback bidder is definitely a shill.  The pattern of bidding bears it out.  Hope you still get a good price Curtis.  This is one of the reasons that I rarely bid on collectibles on EBay anymore.  Too much nonsense going on.

drinking Tim drinking

Just out of curiosity, if you get a collectible at a price you are happy with, then why is it nonsense? Shill bid (or non approved reserve or protection bid) or not, if your happy with the price for a rare peice what's the issue?

If eBay was a real auction, it then you couldn't steal it at then end with a snipe bid with everyone tossing in the real bids. I've seen stuff jump $700 plus with 2 seconds to go, if it was a real auction the auctioneer would then give others a chance to bid again! Not say, sold!

Tim
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: