SMC Discussion Areas
May 18, 2024, 11:38:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dr. Pepper Jacob's 26  (Read 12590 times)
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 02:52:27 pm »

Very cool looking machine.

A lot of stuff.
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 04:12:42 pm »

That looks great!  I bet you could do pretty well with the dents if you found someone who does hail damage (paintless) repair.  They have a lot of specialized tools to pop the dents out and get it back to shape.

Blind1968
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 10:11:31 pm »

I love it! I have always liked the Dr Pepper green for some reason. You did an Awesome job on the clean up. Well done!

~ Bryan
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 10:17:45 pm »

Really nice machine!  I am guessing a lot of machines could actually be brought back to nice original condition rather than be repainted.  I would be interested to hear your "clean up" process as well as you sure seem to have a number of items that have come back to life through the proper use of elbow grease rather than the paint gun.

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
1959 Williams Pinch Hitter
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
Dave
10 Cent Member

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 11:07:44 pm »

Yes, you are correct Brian. I do think too many original machines are being totally restored that don't need it.
I  do have several pieces in my collection that I have spent numerous hours on detailing.  The end result though is
usually a nice original detailed machine. As I have said once before on this Forum, I do actually like nice "restored"
machines, but I personally think that the machine needing restored should be in very very poor shape to start with.
it's alot of work resurfacing the original paint, but its still cheaper than a full resto too.
Kaleid20
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 11:13:46 pm »

Dave, what was your secret on getting the paint resurfaced? What cleaning products are you using here? Looks great.

Vendo 81D, 56, 44, 23 standard
Westy WE-6, WD-5, WH-5T
Cavalier 51, 72, C-12
Victor C-18
Dr Pepper Vendo 90
Dole Super Dispenser
Dave
10 Cent Member

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 11:33:56 pm »

Bcharlton,
You asked about the "clean up" process step by step. First of all I love Meguairs products.
The first step is to bucket wash the machine with a good car wash product.
Then depending on how stained and dirty the paint is, this will determine if a rubbing compound will need
to be used. DO NOT.......I repeat DO NOT use a buffing machine to clean one of these machines with original paint.
The paint on these machines was a single stage paint. There is no clear coat. It would be too easy to burn through
the original paint. I hand rub the paint.  I had to actually use a heavy duty rubbing
compound on the Dr. Pepper machine. Be careful not to rub too hard or too long in one spot. The factory paint
is thin. Make sure your applicator pad or rag is damp too. I keep a clean bucket of water close by.  
The last stages are a 3 step process of polishing with a cleaner wax, clay barring the paint, followed by a couple of
coats of Meguairs gold class caranuba wax. alot of work, but the end result is well.worth it.
ort8149

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2013, 11:51:42 pm »

Dave, 

That is a beautiful machine.  Great job on the detailing.  Thanks for the tips and advice on the detail process.  I'll be attempting that to my WD-10 over the next few weekends.

Orlando
bcharlton
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2013, 09:27:19 am »

Thanks Dave,

I will do the same on the Pepsi 56 this spring when we thaw out.

Brian

bcexpress

Vendo 39 Original
Cavalier C-51 Restored
Cavalier C-96 Restored (almost done)
GE Double Chiller Restored
Cavalier C-33 7 Up Restored
Vendo 27b Pepsi
Vendo 81b
Westinghouse wd-5 / WE-6
3 Stoner Candy/Theatre/Junior/180
Bastian Blessing Bobtail soda fountain