SMC Discussion Areas
May 18, 2024, 12:42:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orange Crush Cooler  (Read 13199 times)
BeaYoung
Soda Jerks

« on: July 26, 2011, 08:56:26 am »

Has anyone ever seen one of these? Any idea about value in unrestored condition? How about restored condition? I thin it's a pretty cool cooler that would look great in my rec room but don't want to zealously pay too much for it. Thanks!
halehouse
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 08:57:51 am »

Looks like maybe the legs were cut off of it.?.

Vendo 63 Stylestar (Restored)
Glascock Standard
Cornelius 50 Slider (Restored)
BeaYoung
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 08:59:38 am »

I wondered about that because it didn't look like an airline cooler (or similar) to me... I'll lokk for more pics of the bottom...
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 09:07:35 am »

I am laso thinking the legs were cut.  It would still look cool as a counter cooler

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
BeaYoung
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 09:15:56 am »

I thought I had some additional photos but I guess not... Any thoughs about value?

B
Funtronics
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 09:37:15 am »

The legs have been cut off. Curtis and Steve just finished a cooler almost like it. They are asking around $6,500 for it restored. Missing the legs I would say a fair price for it would be around $400.00. You could find an old cooler like it and use the base off it. This is a rare cooler and would look great restored.

Rod
Fun-Tronics
BeaYoung
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 09:52:41 am »

Thanks for all the good information. Seller wants $500 for it and there doesn't seem to be a lot of negotiating room.

Have you seen a photo of the restored cooler? Is there one posted on this forum?

What kind of cooler would I be searching for to use for legs?  The dimensions of this one are: 31 long, by 21.5 wide and 16 high. Would a donor cooler be hard to come by? I've have never seen a cooler with legs "live." Does the cooler simply sit on the base/legs?

Sounds like it might be a fun project!

B
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 10:06:52 am »

Your looking for a s&S 700 Cooler... I would be interested in buying that unit from you if your going ot flip it as I have an extra S&S 700 Cooler that is complete but missing the lid.. or if your looking to complete this one your self, I could make the cooler available to you..
email me or pm me.

John
attached is a picture of a different version OC version with legs

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
BeaYoung
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 10:25:54 am »

Do you think $500 is too much to pay for it?
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 10:58:09 am »

If you're not looking for the original base and just want it for your own use it would not be difficult to have a welder make something up for you.

Are the letters embossed?

Glen
BeaYoung
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 11:07:44 am »

Yes, it is embossed. I'd buy it because I'd really like it and probably would not resell it, at least not for a while.

I probably would look for an "original" base for it- I'm a purist that way- I like my things "stock" at least to the extend that it is possible.

Should be looking for an S & S base for it? What should I be paying for a base?

I know where there is an "altered" S & S cooler for sale- lid is missing one hinge.. Would that work for you  SIGNGUY? Or are both original hinges needed for the lid?
See my previous posting for a photo of that cooler. Seller wanted $350 for it and I passed on it. Maybe I should go pick it up... Maybe we could both use parts from it?
The $350 seemed too high based on the discussion in this group.  Thoughts?

B
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 11:12:33 am »

those letters are lightly embossed.. a buddy has an original one...could be restored easy.. trace the letters, mask them off and repaint...
simple embossing....

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 11:16:47 am »

Fun-tronics has hinges, the cap catcher is rounded...like a tin can cut in half.... my buddy's cooler has an original one.
show the sell an image of a complete one and see if he'll come down on price... that's what I did on my Nichol Kola cooler
it was cut in half.. and the owner thought that's the way it came... I sent him a picture and he came down $200...

Eric

WANTED:
BeaYoung
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 01:17:23 pm »

Good to know that Funtronics has the hinges. Thanks for that!

Do you think that this is an S & S cooler? What model?

Should I be looking for an S & S base?

B
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 01:45:19 pm »

Yes, it is embossed. I'd buy it because I'd really like it and probably would not resell it, at least not for a while.

I probably would look for an "original" base for it- I'm a purist that way- I like my things "stock" at least to the extend that it is possible.

Should be looking for an S & S base for it? What should I be paying for a base?

I know where there is an "altered" S & S cooler for sale- lid is missing one hinge.. Would that work for you  SIGNGUY? Or are both original hinges needed for the lid?
See my previous posting for a photo of that cooler. Seller wanted $350 for it and I passed on it. Maybe I should go pick it up... Maybe we could both use parts from it?
The $350 seemed too high based on the discussion in this group.  Thoughts?

B

most I paid for one was $250 that was complete, and generic.. the signs are what make this one valuable.. without them it's a 200-250 cooler...

I am more interested in selling the incomplete unit to someone who bought this one and needed legs and base, or I'd be interested in buying the  orange crush and completing it for myself if it where for sale.

Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2011, 02:25:45 pm »

Looks like a S&S 700 to me...

Eric

WANTED:
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2011, 04:21:55 pm »

To answer your "base" question, you're not going to find just a "base" as the legs & associated shelf below are an integral  part of this style of cooler, they don't detach unless someone goes bonkers with a hacksaw or a sawlzall.  you will need tho find a beat-up cooler with good legs & have them transplanted onto yours.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
BeaYoung
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2011, 05:16:26 pm »

Yeah... I had figured that I would be taking apart a generic beater cooler for the base/legs. I've attached a photo of the bottom of the OC cooler so you see if that gives any indication of how bad a "hack job" was done to it to remove the original legs.

See what you think... I see holes on side. From previous attachment to a base?

Is the black plastic-looking thing part of a drain?

B
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2011, 05:29:24 pm »

I'm not a 100% so I'll have my buddy take pictures of his cooler but I think the legs and base bolt to the
box... Looking at your latest picture... the legs/base look like they were there once and taken off.. maybe
due to rust/damage or just not enough room for the entire cooler.
Anyway I'll try and get pictures if you want.

Eric

WANTED:
BeaYoung
Soda Jerks

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2011, 05:34:31 pm »

Thanks Eric! That would be awesome!
oscar
Soda Jerks

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2011, 05:36:19 pm »

Don't the signs interchange on these coolers?
BeaYoung
Soda Jerks

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2011, 06:36:27 pm »

I don't think the signs were interchangeable burt I am not sure. There is text from the SMC website:

The S & S 700 is very similar to the Glascock Coolers. Storage below could hold a few cases of empty bottles. Unlike Glascock, the 700 had no previsions for metal inserts to advertise the brand of soda. S&S manufactured the 700 with casters as standard equipment. Since the cap catcher is easily removed, these are frequently missing.

Looking at the photos that go with the description, it looks to be like the base and legs attach to the cooler section from the inside with a couple of screws.

B
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2011, 09:02:34 am »

Let me clear a  few things up regarding the questions asked..
The legs bolt onto this cooler,, I've have taken a few apart and have two in stock right now.. so no one really hacked into it.. and original legs can be bolted back on .
the base that holds the legs together also bolts on to stablize the whole assembly.

The signs are interchangeable... as they made several different brands... you take off the lid, then unbolt the top retaining part of the cooler compartment,, again bolts on. once that is off your left with 4 very thin advertising panels that are backed with 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 inch thick insulating board that is sandwiched between the sign and the galvanized tub.. I would think that the panels where ordered with cooler , as it's not a simple slide in and out, it would take some dissasembly so the statment about them not being interchangable,,, would be accurate if describing the shop owner or gas station attendant where these wher located... but during manufacturing ,they took on several different brands.

that is really all that is to these coolers... very simple to work on , take apart and restore... pending the detail of the sign your restoring... that is where the money would come into to have a sign painter repaint it .

I'll see if I have or can take photos if anyone would like to see the cooler apart.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 09:05:08 am by SIGNGUY » Logged

BeaYoung
Soda Jerks

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2011, 08:35:48 am »

Thank you for the great explanation! That helps clear a lot of things up!

B
BeaYoung
Soda Jerks

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2011, 09:02:30 am »

Hey Signguy!

Do you think that the legs from the cooler I had posted a pic of under the subject line "ID of 20's era cooler" would work for the OC cooler. It is an S&S 700.

B
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2011, 11:17:27 am »

Yep,
that is what you need...  maybe we can go in together on this one as I need a lid, opener and cap catcher if it has one..

then you could have the legs and base and the rest, we'll figure out.

I'd say if you can get ifor 200-250 that would great.

email me or calle me and we'll discuss.

my email is john@Popmachineshop.com

BeaYoung
Soda Jerks

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2011, 11:33:20 am »

Will do! Thanks John!
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2011, 12:44:24 pm »

That sounds like a plan... Good luck chaps..
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: