SMC Discussion Areas
May 10, 2024, 03:47:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 20 amp or 30amp  (Read 32157 times)
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2013, 08:57:37 pm »

Didn't get a chance to do much today but did find I have GFI 20 amp breaker. Will get on the rest of this detective work tomorrow.
Just for clarification; this is the breaker that is intermittently tripping...?
If so, what other outlets are affected when it trips...?  IE. garage receptacles, bathroom(s) ...

My six cents,

Jim

Rebel
25 Cent Member

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2013, 09:13:17 pm »

Just for clarification; this is the breaker that is intermittently tripping...?
If so, what other outlets are affected when it trips...?  IE. garage receptacles, bathroom(s) ...

Yes,,that is correct on tripping breaker. Didn't get a chance to check that out today. Had company all day but will be checking wire size and other things affected tomorrow plus the list JohieG gave me. The ID says outside and bathrooms but will verify tomorrow.
stuntpilot
10 Cent Member

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2013, 04:24:58 am »

Yes,,that is correct on tripping breaker. Didn't get a chance to check that out today. Had company all day but will be checking wire size and other things affected tomorrow plus the list JohieG gave me. The ID says outside and bathrooms but will verify tomorrow.

I think you've found the answer. biggrin biggrin
One quick question that might save you a bunch of time, has it ever tripped which stopped you from doing what you were doing, or does it trip and you don't notice it like at night or any other random time?
Reason I'm asking is we have to determine if it's tripping due to an overload or a ground fault.
Continue on!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 06:08:17 am by stuntpilot » Logged
Rebel
25 Cent Member

« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2013, 09:08:56 am »

I think you've found the answer. biggrin biggrin
One quick question that might save you a bunch of time, has it ever tripped which stopped you from doing what you were doing, or does it trip and you don't notice it like at night or any other random time?
Reason I'm asking is we have to determine if it's tripping due to an overload or a ground fault.
Continue on!

It trips and don't notice and has been at night. You're getting spooky on me now.lol biggrin
stuntpilot
10 Cent Member

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2013, 10:20:36 am »

If I was on a service call to your house the next question I would ask would be what's plugged in outside?

I hope you don't say a Vendo 63 biggrin
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 10:26:57 am by stuntpilot » Logged
Rebel
25 Cent Member

« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2013, 10:29:05 am »

If I was on a service call to your house the next question I would ask would be what's plugged in outside?

There are only two outside receptacles,,,one on the front of house with a lamp plugged in one side and nothing on the other. The second receptacle is on back of house or patio and the only thing plugged in there is a radio and the 7up machine.
stuntpilot
10 Cent Member

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2013, 10:35:40 am »

Do the outdoor outlets have a in-use cover or are they exposed?

Is the lamp rated for outdoor use? I know you probably can't answer that so I'll ask is it a regular household lamp?

Is the 7 up machine the Vendo 63? If not what is it?
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2013, 10:43:35 am »

There is one other thing I discovered today,,the light that plugs in behind coin drop area gave me a little shock when I was holding it and my hand touch the coin box and when I screwed a 110v LED in the socket, it was very very dim but all other lights are normal.

I would disconnect this circuit temporarily and try running the compressor again.

Glen
oldskoolcoinop
10 Cent Member

« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2013, 11:00:23 am »

I would disconnect this circuit temporarily and try running the compressor again.

I agree. While I'm not an electrician, a shock and a dim bulb would indicate to me a possible ground fault,,,enough to trip a ground fault breaker. It might just be a socket, but worth a try for sure. This lurker contributed today  smile   Good luck!
stuntpilot
10 Cent Member

« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2013, 11:07:40 am »

I disagree!  biggrin biggrin  I can understand why you think this would cause a ground fault trip, but if it was how could he reset the breaker? oops

I heading off into another direction but need some more answers.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 11:12:13 am by stuntpilot » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: