SMC Discussion Areas
May 17, 2024, 04:33:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Westinghouse WB222-6B-20  (Read 9275 times)
billm75

« on: May 02, 2011, 03:53:14 pm »

Hi all, I'm new here and hoping the experts can assist me a little.  I'll try not to be a huge pest.

I bought a Westinghouse WB222-6B-20 Coke machine for $50, so me and my boys had something to work on together when we have free time.  It's not a collectible and it's not a faithful restoration that I'm after.  In fact, we're going to decorate it up for our fave football team, the Redskins.

Anyhow, I'm having a hell of a time finding any instructions or service manuals for this thing.  I was hoping someone might have an idea where I could go to get something to help me out?  I've tried just about every company online that deals in soda machine restoration, and nobody has anything.  I'm waiting for Vendoco to get back with me in the off chance they might still have that on file.

I've done some cleanup on the machine and traced out all the wiring, in the event I have to do this blindly.  Right now, I have an issue with the cooling system.  It comes on, runs about 5 minutes or so, then cuts off for about 30, and kicks back on for 5.  I don't know if it's low on freon, if the thermostat's bad or what.  Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks again!
Bill
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 04:52:59 pm »

Hello & welcome  to the site!

As a basic test, you can temporarily jumper out the thermostat & see if it runs longer. If it runs & cools continuously with the Thermostat jumpered, then you know it's acting up on you.

NOTE: unplug the machine BEFORE you ad your test jumper as the Thermostat operates at line voltage... wow

also note there are two types of basic thermostats, one is a "contact type" which has it's sensing element clamped to the evaporators metal body, or is inserted into a metal tube that runs through the evaporators coils, or there is the "non-contact" type which senses the Temperature directly from the air

So lets say that someone had a air-temp sensing ( non-contact) type T-stat handy & mistakenly mounted it into contact with the evaporators metal housing, then you'd have symptoms similar to what you are describing. ( a short run time & a longer Off time

Now if you were to take a "contact" type T-stat & just hang it in the air inside the machine, the unit would never shut off until it would get well below freezing as these T-stat's usually don't turn of until the evaporator is a about 28-26 degrees/F on average.

Time to check it out.

PS... did you meant to say Vendo instead of "Vendco"?   Vendo wouldn't have any info on a Westinghouse machine, but the coin-mechanisms could be a Vendo "Vari-price" model.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 04:58:33 pm by johnieG » Logged

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
billm75

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 05:27:01 pm »

I'll try that trick with the thermostat.  It has a contact type installed in it now, and seems to have a place for the wire to feed into a tube, so I think, at the very least, it's the correct type of thermostat.  Thanks for the info.  If I just basically connect the two wires that were connected to the thermostat, that would be safe for testing purposes wouldn't it?  I won't short anything out or blow myself across the garage?  LOL

If the unit needs freon, I don't know if I want to try having it charged or simply replace the entire unit with a known working part.  I'm not in a huge hurry to have this up and running, but when it does get to that point, I want it to be as close to trouble free as possible.

As far as Vendo goes, the link I was given by Westinghouse was for www.vendoco.com, so hopefully they sent me to the right people.

johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 09:07:24 pm »

Yes, you can join the two wires at the back of the T-stat onto one terminal, it will only turn on the compressor itself, it wont short out the machine, insofar as if it needs freon, you wont know until the puppy runs a bit longer,

the link they gave you is for Sanden/Vendo Sanden now owns Vendo corp. they will have nothing on a Westinghouse machine, unless they made the machine for Westinghouse before they (Westinghouse that is ) got out of the vending machine business, ( look the machine over & see if you see a tag that says "Made for Westinghouse by the Vendo corp.")  or something like that.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 03:54:10 pm »

It looks like there's a few different model WB-222 manuals available out there.  I would assume that most of the wiring diagrams and parts are the same, the only difference would be adding a couple of similiar wired buttons/motors. 

If you're looking to do a Redskins theme, one thing that I have done is buy some of the FatHeads wall graphics and made lighted signs out of them with a piece of white plexiglass. 

billm75

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 03:55:53 pm »

I make decals and signs for a living....and since it's for personal use, I have no issue making a few Skins decals to throw on this bad boy. 
billm75

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 03:54:09 pm »

I managed to get time to jump the thermostat leads, removing it from the system altogether, and so far, for the last 10 minutes it's been running strong.  I never got past 10 minutes with the thermostat that was in it in place, so I have a good feeling it was a bad Thermostat at this point.  I'm letting it go for a while with the door shut to see how it cools, and will judge it from there.

Thanks for that tip JohnnieG, you may have saved me a ton of headaches.

Now if I could just find a replacement theromostat.....ugh.
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 04:45:49 pm »

Now if I could just find a replacement theromostat.....ugh.

Several sponsors here on the SMC site have them...

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
billm75

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 06:45:46 pm »

I've contacted about 4 different companies and nobody has the one I need.

Anyhow, I let this machine run for about an hour or so, and the condenser coils frosted over.  I'm assuming that means I'm low on refrigerant? 
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 07:02:20 pm »

Don't worry about the exact number that's on your thermostat, you need only be concerned about temperature range.
      I think you mean your evaporator coils are frosted up and that is a good thing.
Is the fan behind it blowing air at a high rate of speed?

Glen
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: