SMC Discussion Areas
May 06, 2024, 06:48:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Disecting a compressor  (Read 3454 times)
joesquid
25 Cent Member

« on: April 01, 2004, 11:50:22 pm »

Yes, that was supposed to be psychotic-Frankenstein-working-on-his-monster laughter.  Anyway.  I've got a dead compressor I want to tear into to see what makes it tick and see if I can repair it.  It's froze up.  It pops the overload about ten seconds after power is initiated, kicks off for about 30 seconds, then starts the process over.  It came out of a Vendo 23 (original compressor).  Does anyone have a good step-by-step procedure for breaking into the compressor and overhauling it?  I'm good at all other aspects of electro-mechanical world of old soda machines but know nothing about compressors and want to learn.

Second question:  Is it possible to wire the compressor backwards?  I know that certain types of AC motors (for instance, a single phase series AC motor) can be inadvertantly wired backwards.  What about these compressors?

Thanks for the time!

Eric "Joe Squid" Johnson

1955 Vendo 23 - awaiting restoration
1959 Westinghouse WC-44SK - awaiting parts
1967 Cavalier CS-64G - functional in house
1969 Vendo 63 - in restoration
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2004, 11:01:33 am »

I believe these compressor bodies are comprised of two shells welded together around the center.  Grind this weld off to open it, then weld it closed when you're done

Glen
BIG RED
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2004, 10:24:19 am »

You can't reverse the wireing if it's a single phase 120v compressor unles you pull the strater and shaft out and reverse that.  Other wise you should be safe wireing
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: