SMC Discussion Areas
May 15, 2024, 02:31:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vendo 56 Square Top Cabinet Liner Question  (Read 3686 times)
SodaShopNick
Soda Jerks

« on: November 22, 2011, 09:59:31 pm »

I am currently trying to restore a Vendo 56 Square Top and have a question about the cabinet liner.  Like I have read in this discussion group I found that the bottom of my liner was pretty rusted out.  In several places it has complete holes and is very paper thin around those holes.  I am assuming I will have to replace the bottom which is where my question comes in.   It appears this bottom piece is a separate piece that can be removed from the rest of the cabinet liner.  It looks like it is attached by some rivets and then caulked on the inside.  Can I just remove this piece and the get another piece made?  Any thoughts and/or suggestions would be appreciated. 
Pat Pixley
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 11:15:12 pm »

cut it out , it is spot welded in and a tar  seal is put in, If you can leave a lip then spot weld in a new piece if yours is as bad as this one I'm working on \
then you may have to go up on the sides and spot weld those in

This transitional 56 I'm doing right now , It had a poor restoration done , and now I had to replace the bottom corners and the panand the shelf in the main door    The person that did this packed in the bondo even in the bottom corners  .
It was in bad shape Oo.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 11:35:46 pm by Pat Pixley » Logged
briandr1
25 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 12:18:54 am »

awesome work jawdrop

selectivend 64 sa
2 cavalier 96
1975 bally hi deal em pinball machine
1920 wate and fate penny  scale
Pat Pixley
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 12:34:54 am »

Sorry mis-understood  the liner If you have a sheet metal guy then do it  I'm not sure if Rod over at funtronic has those or not .
I've had mine made .
SodaShopNick
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 01:22:54 pm »

Pat,

Thanks for the advice and your work looks great.  I actually have the same issue with the cabinet liner that I have at the bottom of the cabinet.  So, for the pull out liner I would assume I can just remove this bottom piece, have a new one made and then screw it in or would I have to use some sort of rivets which is what looks like is being used now.  Also, do I need to use tar or could I use a waterproof caulk (I see this same tar throughout the interior of the cabinet with some in spots where it appears it is a sealant and others where it looks like it was just sprayed on the back on the cabinet?).   In regards to the bottom of the cabinet where I have the rust I would assume I would do as you say and cut it out and try and leave a lip.  I would assume I would need to remove the rust to see how far it goes in order to see if I can leave a lip or not?  Also, one last question from another post that went unanswered that maybe you can help with.  On the Coin Door for my Vendo 56 there is a hinge that connects it to the main cabinet that appears to be attached with rivets.  In order to sandblast and paint I would assume I would have to remove this, but I am not sure how to do this.  Is it possible to leave it on and paint around it?

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: