SMC Discussion Areas
May 18, 2024, 09:58:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1946 Philco score.  (Read 13340 times)
cokemachinesandmore
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 08:13:26 am »

love the look of those old radios
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 09:39:08 pm »

Thanks All!!
It is very cool. Once the tubes get up to temp. the sound out of the 16" or so cone speaker is killer. Not having a great deal of luck finding a forum for dumb questions. Any idea's?
Thanks in advance!!
Creighton

GreginNM
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 12:19:33 am »

Nice radio, Creighton!  I have had one like that in the past.  I have somewhere around 120 radios, most of them in storage in North Carolina while I'm still moving around.  I used to do a lot of restorations on them, so I can help with some basic questions.  There are also a couple of Philco websites out there that have forums and good info on them that are maintained by some of the most knowledgeable Philco collectors out there.

I also picked up a radio this weekend out here in Southern California.  It's a 1938 Philco.  Here's a picture below.  Should work fine, but I need to replace the power cord before plugging it in.

Greg
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 12:26:12 am by GreginTex » Logged

Greg

Vendo: 39B, Standard
Jacobs: 35
Ideal: 35 DP
Westinghouse: WB-66-MD, WD-10, Junior, Standard
SelectiVend: S-48 DP x 2
SelVend: S-47 7up
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 06:03:38 am »

That's a great looking radio, Greg! I didn't know you were that into old radios. That's really cool. We have a Ham Radio Swap meet, Hoosier Hills Hamfest, this weekend at our local fairgrounds. I'm not into Ham radio so that part of it is lost on me. However, there are always a bunch of old radios, vintage test equipment and a ton of old components for sale. 2 years ago I picked up Atwater Kent 55 console radio in excellent condition for $50. I'm also into restorations as well. I've done more auto radios than anything, mostly Philco.

My favorite sites have to be Nostalgia Air, The Philco Repair Bench, Radio Daze and "Just Capacitors" up in Canada.

Brian
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 12:59:07 pm »

Great looking 1938 Greg! Had found the Philco site will check the others, Thanks.

When you replace the cord is there any need to update to a grounded one? If so where, is the best place to attach the ground wire?

Compressed air ok to get rid of the dust or should I use an electronic cleaner?

Buddy is a ham so will bother him about best approach for SW antenna. Suggestions always welcome.

Thanks,
Creighton

mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2010, 01:51:56 pm »

Here is a nice old Philco on the Lansing, MI CL.  I almost thought about picking this up but the War Department would not like me branching out into old radios.  Very cool though and the price certainly seems right!

http://lansing.craigslist.org/ele/1945768933.html

drinking Tim drinking
BronzeGiant
5 Cent Member

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2010, 02:00:35 pm »

Here is a nice old Philco on the Lansing, MI CL.  I almost thought about picking this up but the War Department would not like me branching out into old radios.  Very cool though and the price certainly seems right!

http://lansing.craigslist.org/ele/1945768933.html

drinking Tim drinking

I wonder if he'd ship that???

Cavalier CS-148-C
Cavalier CSS-64
Selectavend 1-A
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2010, 02:12:35 pm »

I need to get to Lansing

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
Pat Pixley
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2010, 03:59:33 pm »

WHo ever wants the one in lansing let me know this is in my back yard and I could go look at it (just not tonight got to get the lawn cut)
I will also pick it up if need be  drop me a line .

Pat Cool
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2010, 05:14:32 pm »

Kind offer Pat.
Good thing is these don't weigh sh*t and if you turn it around won't have to look at the woodgrain :-)
Creighton
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: