SMC Discussion Areas
May 01, 2024, 09:04:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vendo 63 running warm  (Read 9776 times)
« on: January 07, 2003, 07:42:18 pm »

First of all I apologize for any of my newbieness.  Been visiting the site for a while but just got an old Vendo 63 on a trade for some web services.

Anyway, my problem is everything on the machine works great except that it runs warm.  Now if I understand this correctly, the evaporator (on top) is supposed to generate the cold air while the compressor (down below) supposed to suck out the warm air and push out of the machine.  Am I close on this?

Anyway, both parts run, but the evaporator is spitting out warm air (about 80 degrees I would think) and the compressor down below is spitting out very cold air out of the machine.  Suffice it to say my sodas are pretty warm.

This guy had the machine running several years ago but had it under shelter on the side of his house for the last 3 years.  There was A LOT of dust, junk, etc. inside the machine that I vacuumed out before plugging in.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing the warm air issue??  I imagine it could be a number of things.  

Any help for this newbie would be much appreciated.  Thanks!!!

johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2003, 09:59:23 pm »

Hiya and welcome, well one of two things may be going on here, first thing I think of is your compressor has some stuck valves inside, OR somebody repaired the machine or replaced the compressor and or the evaporator assembly (before you got it) and brazed the darn lines bass-ackwards! (there have been RARE occasions when a compressor will start and run in reverse, but it's usally cause by miswiring of the start & run terminals)

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2003, 10:10:31 pm »

Here's a basic diagram of a typical cooling system simular to you V63's follow the lines and compare to yours and let's see if we can figure out whats going on here!  ':O'

11 is louder than 10...
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2003, 10:51:47 pm »

Johnie thanks for your help!

I compared the wiring diagram you attached and it looks like  everything is wired correctly.

Because there was a lot of dust in the evaperator assembly I could not get to with a normal shop vac I tried to lightly spray the area with a jet hose and it seemed like I got a lot of junk out.  I tried to make sure not to get the motor or fan wet.  

Anyway, I turned it back on again and it seems a little colder (maybe 70 instead of 80) but it might just be me not sure.  I need to get a thermometer to put in there to be sure.  

Any other help would be much appreciated!  Thanks again.

UPDATE:  I did find a thermometer and popped it in there.  Sure enough its 70 degrees.  It feels a little cooler than earlier today, but that just might be because its evening, not sure.

UPDATE 2:  Had it running all night.  This morning its up to 77 degrees now.  So no change really.  I added a picture below in case it helps at all, compressor is hard to see because its dark, but hopefully its of some help.

johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2003, 07:32:36 pm »

Well assuming the plumbing all ok and the compressor's running,then maybe all you'll need is a recharge of Freon     (F12) and then check for leaks, you could also have a refrigeration tech. convert it over to a F12 replacement ( I like "hot-shot" it's a "drop-in" replacement & you don't have to monkey around with oil additives,etc.) he should put a vacuum pump on it & recover any remaining F12, then recharge the system with a replacement coolent (134A, hot-shot,etc.) & check for leaks assuming your compressor,s in good shape you'll be good to go, you might want to talk to Eric over at Global compressors , look in you local phone book under vending & contact some of them & explain you've got an older machine that needs service & see if they can help you on a local level too. let us know how it goes!

11 is louder than 10...
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2003, 04:39:13 pm »

johnie thanks for the help.  I am thinking at this point its the compressor that is shot.  I pulled out the whole deck and the compressor is not making any noise at all.
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2003, 08:42:36 pm »

Before you junk the unit, try this! Forget about the power cord.  Comming out of the compressor is a cord with 2 wires and a plug into a junction box. Un-plug it and plug directly into a power cord. For best results, put a rag in the upper fan to prevent it from spinning ,temporarily. Check for cooling or frosting. If this works, log back on and we will get you up and running.      Glen

Glen
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2003, 08:55:48 pm »

Yes!  try moondawgs fix first,don't throw in the towel just yet, sometime the compressor's just a little "stuck" from sitting idle all that time, does it try to start? ( sounds like the compressor's humming then followed by a "CLICK"?) I just fixed a ChoiceVend 224-5 that had a stuck compressor by kicking it in the pants with a 3-in-1 starter/booster, and now its running fine by itself! saved $$$$ for a new/rebuilt compressor deck.

11 is louder than 10...
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2003, 08:56:21 pm »

moondawg thanks for the post

funny thing is i tried just that about 30 minutes ago, and no luck same results as usual.  Condensor and evapartor fans spin but that's it.  Dumb question but I assume that the compressor should make some noise when its running?  It's completely quiet.

UPDATE:  I tried it again just now.  Stuck a rag in the fan so it would not spin.  I plugged it in to an extension cord and the only thing I heard was a very small humming noise, like you hear when something is plugged in.  Not sure if it came from the fan motor or the compressor, but I don't think it was the compressor trying to start.

johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2003, 09:38:52 pm »

OK now try jumpering the overcurrent breaker and see if it'll try to start.

11 is louder than 10...
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2003, 10:02:08 pm »

guys i really appreciate your time and help with this...

johnie i don't have much electrical experience.... how do you suggest jumpering that breaker?.  I got the cover off the electrical box on the compressor and match all the connections to your image.

Thanks again!

johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2003, 10:08:28 pm »

Crowded ain't it!?    then overcurrent breaker's on the left, see the attached diagram, undo the wire(s) on the "A" terminal and screw it down to the "B" terminal,(OR unscrew the wires from both and temp. bolt them together and tape them with electrical tape so they don't short to anything) then plug the compressor in and carfully listen or put your hand on the compressor housing and feel it when you plug it in, you should feel it humming/running softly, BUT if it buzzes loudly ,and wont start, it may be locked-up, you then could try a 3-in-1 booster/starter if that doesn't start it,it's shot! (or if it doesn't run at all of course)

11 is louder than 10...
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2003, 01:34:39 am »

tried it, compressor is shot....  i don't think I want to go to the trouble of rebuilding it, so you may see it on ebay soon =)

thanks for everyone's help!!!
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2003, 09:27:17 am »

So it's dead as a door nail? You don't have to rebuild the compressor deck, you could just swap it with a good used compressor assembly, it's usally cheaper.

11 is louder than 10...
globalcompressors
Soda Jerks

Global Compressors (Eric)

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2003, 08:56:37 pm »

Before junking the unit, pull the overload off and look on the back side. If it's not covered by a black cover, you should see a silver disk. Look close and see if there is any discoloration,  cracked, or burned. The compressor is a Tecumseh and is notorious for "popping" the overload. If it looks ok or you can't see the back side, use a ohm meter and make sure it's not open. If it is, give me a call. I have 100's of good ones I'll send you!

Eric ':cool:'

how's that OBAMA CARE workin' out for ya?
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: