SMC Discussion Areas
May 15, 2024, 01:24:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unit not cooling! hallpp!!  (Read 3940 times)
« on: May 09, 2005, 09:19:08 am »

Unit cycles the compressor for about 3-4 min, once or twice per hour. All lines are HOT! All fans are working, condensor fan (the one behind the main coils runs all of the time, but unit does not get cold. Thermostat is set on coldest setting. Any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 10:31:36 am »

Update: Compressor is running all of the time, condensor fan NOT running. Put portable fan behind it to cool condensor, I'm wondering if the relay is fouled up. Real pain to work in there and see what is going on. I hear the fan running behind the coils in the back of the unit. Gonna wait a couple of hours to see if I get any appreciatible cooling. I'll post again later with results of this experiment.
Skeleton Man
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 01:16:28 pm »

Pull the compressor/condensor assembley out so you can work on it.. I would think it's a matter of unplugging and unbolting.. (someone could probably post specifics)

Try setting the thermostat to the coldest setting.. see if the condensor fan starts..  I have the same issue with my cornelius squaretop.. anything less than the maximum setting and the condensor fan don't start..  I've got it out, but yet to fix it..

BryanH
Soda Jerks

Sweatin' in Arizona... but it's a dry heat!

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 11:05:40 pm »

There's a really good thread on debugging the cooling system problems.  Search on refrigeration within the last two to three months... in the interim here's the text that I snipped from the thread.  Think it originally came from JohnieG but can't remember for sure.
Cooling System
1st, make sure the compressors plugged into it's little junction block/plug, you can also take an extension cord & plug in directly onto the compressor's plug, this is a quick go/no-go test for a defective starting compressor,  check the compressor, even if it's fan is running, it doesn't mean that the compressor is, Carefully place a gloved hand on top of the compressor, & feel for it running, (sometimes you can't tell just by listening) if it starts up, put the little  plug  back the way you found it  &  here's a few other things to check ...

make sure the thermostat is turned on (usually clockwise, about 1/2 of a full turn to start) & next check for a bad thermostat, unplug the machine, remove the two wire from the back of the thermostat & connect them together & tape them up with electrical tape (only temporarily! DON'T leave them this way.) now plug it back in & see if the compressor kicks in, if YES, them you've found the culprit, if NO, them unplug the machine & replace them back onto the thermostat's terminals, just some basics might help you sort it out...let us know how it goes...

If you directly plug in the compressor the upper evaporator coil will start getting cold within just a minute or two. If this happens you are in luck. If so then you just have an electrical problem that will easy to solve.  Plus the upper & lower coils may need to be clean to help with the heat transfer.

Thanks, Bryan
   Cavalier USS-96: unrestored, working on the back patio
   CV VUB/C 8-91: a fantasy restoration?
   GE Cooler: in pieces, my next project
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 04:57:05 pm »

Called the local refrigeration co, and they discovered that the condenser fan was doa, and a kink in the return line was causing a blockage, replaced the line, dryer, and fan, and recharged the unit.. 319.00 for all that work, but it's cool as can be now!
zosofan

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 08:30:41 pm »

Hey, has anyone found the thread that BryanH is refering to?  

i've looked and cannot find.

eye thank ewe

greg

vendorlator vfa56z-b 7 up
vendorlator vf 90r-c generic
cavalier uss-64 pepsi
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: