SMC Discussion Areas
May 17, 2024, 01:33:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: freon 12?  (Read 3525 times)
uamsclay

« on: September 18, 2012, 06:08:36 am »

I have a large mid 70's pepsi machine that dispenses glass bottles and uses freon 12.  would it be best to use the freon 12 or try to get it converted? i have having trouble finding someone who will do freon 12, but i have had it tested before and it evidently doesn't have any leaks, but another type of freon only kept the box cool for about 2 months.
any ideas?  haven't posted in a long time, not a high dollar machine by any means, just want it to work better,
thanks for any help,
clay
Blind1968
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 10:11:55 am »

There are some great post on this board that talk about just that. You can type in R12 in the search block up at the top of the page. below is the link to just one of many.

http://soda-machines.com/discussions/index.php/topic,13620.0.html

~ Bryan
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 10:36:08 am »

If "any other refrigerant" only keeps it cold for a few months, believe me, you do have a leak. find & fix the leak, (the problem is you have mixed refrigerants in the system & nobody wants to contaminate there recovery tank with a a hodge-podge of different gases) have the system vacuumed & recharged with Freeze12 is the cheapest route, but it doesn't solve the fact that nobody wants to touch it.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
MrMark

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 08:33:04 am »

And I'll add my 2 cents to your coffee fund -

If the clamp-on style freon taps were used and left on the system, that is where part of your leak comes from. Clamp-on taps leak R-12, regardless of what the manufacturer says, due to the small molecular size of R-12. They should only be used to recover what is in the system, then removed. Then a process tube should be installed (usually at the compressor), the hole sealed that was left by the clamp-on, and then the original leak found and repaired (check the hot gas discharge line if no other signs of refrigeration system damage are evident. Also look for signs of oil anywhere on the refrigeration lines. Not dripping oil, but just a wetted appearance of the any point in the lines caused by an oil film.). Repair the leak(s), evacuate, and charge.

Don't try to shortcut any of the above, or you are doomed to failure and continually increased out of pocket expense.
aspbear
25 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 04:46:00 pm »

I know that alot of the refrigeration people will probably disagree but IMO you can not beat R12, it is just colder and I find the old refrigeration guys that will put it in for me.   I still have a small supply and until I just can not get R 12 anymore I will stick with it...

aspbear
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: