SMC Discussion Areas
May 03, 2024, 01:16:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting started restoring a VMC 27  (Read 29688 times)
spitzme

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2008, 01:42:51 pm »

That would be INCREDIBLE, Glen!!!  However, I do like the comment that you should just go ahead and restore the whole thing for me. Shocked)
When you have a date in mind that you will be going to LA, let me know and I will make all the arrangements with forward air.  I can't tell you how much I appreciate you going out of your way for a newbie, thanks very much!
-Mike
813-712-0999 cell
or spitzme@tampabay.rr.com
Ltransam
Soda Jerks

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2008, 09:48:28 pm »

Yea, Glen's Great !!
                              And I'm sure he has Room in the PASSANGER SIDE of the T-Bird . laugh laugh .Sorry Glen It was stillthe funnest dang thing I ever saw

Leonard  laugh

Glascock Counter Top
VMC 81 7Up
Vendo-110-81D-V-56 V-23
Jacobs Pepsi-56
Stoner Cookie &5 Pull Pastry& 180 Candy
Kelvinator FS-51(Canada)
Cavalier's C-55-E-C-55-D
Selmix Sprite
Selmix Pepsi on Draugh
spitzme

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2008, 08:08:26 pm »

Hey Guys
Is there a special rectangular screwdriver bit that you need to unscrew the bolts?
sodaworks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2008, 08:31:25 pm »

You can buy it from Sears, Napa auto parts.

TERRY@SODAWORKS RESTORATIONS
Lots of Round Top machines
Buy-Sell-Trade-Restorations
spitzme

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2008, 08:37:00 am »

Thanks! biggrin
spitzme

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2008, 08:08:40 am »

how do you recommend removing the old paint and surface rust?  Glass beads, sand blasting?  chemicals?  Also, the decals look like they are painted on, are they or is it a decal?
Thanks
-Mike
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2008, 09:57:15 am »

I would blast the machine... Others here will tell you exactly what gritt to use.
Are you going to do it yourself or have it done for you??

The decals come either in water release or vinyal (hate that word) Personally I prefer the later.
They are available from Funtronics so don't work about losing them. Having played around with decals
this weekend make sure you have a lot of patience and no kids under your feet when applying them.
Especially the water release ones.

Dave
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2008, 10:33:49 am »

I prefer sand blasting or media blasting. The thick metal on these old machines hold up well to the abuse dished out by sand blasting. The plus it creates a good base for your new paint to adhere to. Another of benefit is the fact that a good blasting gets out all of the small stuff in the hard to reach areas, like the area underneath where the compressor is housed. And sand blasting will remove all of the rust. You will find holes where you thought solid metal existed before. Which is better to find now then a year after you painted your prized Coca-Cola machine.

Chemical stripping also works, but it is extremely messy and it is an absolute must that all chemical residues are removed prior to painting. Stripper and paint don't mix so well. And chemical stripping doesn't handle the rust issue. Rust must be removed, either by sand or by torch.

I am taking my projects to a local boy how can blast a machine in two hours and the cost usually runs around $75.00 for a Junior and $125.00 for a larger machine such as a Vendo 110. The best part of it all is that I don't have to sweat so much when doing it this way. A good chemical bath will run you around half that amount, if not more, and you will have a huge mess to clean up and dispose of. I think the current price of a quality stripper somewhere between $17 and $22 a gallon depending on where you get it. And I use stripper every now and then.

I bought a decent paint gun at the paint shop for $65.00. Believe me, you can do most paint and body stuff in your back yard and you do not need an expensive gun. I even paint out side, but this requires spraying the yard prior to laying the top coat so as to keep the bugs out of my final product.

Good luck
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2008, 11:26:12 am »

Mike....I'm ready to ship off this 27 cabinet to you, did you get my last e-mail?

Glen
spitzme

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2008, 12:03:13 pm »

No I must have missed it or maybe my computer filtered it ... who knows...   
That is GREAT news!  I can send you a money order asap for the shipping and handling..
Did you get my email from my tampabay account with directions to the shipping place?
Feel free to contact me directly at spitzme@tampabay.rr.com
I cant tell you how much I appreciate this!
-Mike

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: