SMC Discussion Areas
May 18, 2024, 04:10:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vendo 56 restoration  (Read 10736 times)
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2005, 11:19:45 am »

So cool. Glad you showed me this.   Now maybe even I can share some pic's.    Jim is that your gameroom and Pepsi 81 ?

Glen
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2005, 11:31:09 am »

Yeah, is that your game room in the gallery Jim, it is absolutely AMAZING! I dreammof having one like that. I especially love the soda fountain bar and that it is raised up on lit glass blocks. Jim start a new thread in Chit Chat telling us all about the gameroom, all the stuff in it and how you did the bar.
sodaworks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2005, 03:48:56 pm »

Hello Eric,
  The inner tub and shelves were painted using silver hammertone applied by a paint gun. I have found that the this application holds it shine and is very durable. The bottom shelf of the main cabinet was completey rusted out so I had to cut it out and replace with new steel. The decal's on the bottle stack are vinyl cut red.  I made up four different decal's to apply to the top sides of the machine and my customer chose a white Drink Coca-Cola fishtail design. I didn't get a digital picture of this (left my camera at home) but my wife did get 35mm picture's of it. I will post it in the gallery when the film is Developed. Thanks Terry

TERRY@SODAWORKS RESTORATIONS
Lots of Round Top machines
Buy-Sell-Trade-Restorations
BryanH
Soda Jerks

Sweatin' in Arizona... but it's a dry heat!

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2005, 10:32:37 am »

Terry where did you find Silver Hammertone?  What brand did you use and if you sprayed it yourself do you remember how much you had to cut the paint?  I've looked all over and haven't found anyone that sells it?  Have found a UK brand but nothing in the States.  I know it exists but must be asking for the wrong stuff or in the wrong places.

Thanks, Bryan
   Cavalier USS-96: unrestored, working on the back patio
   CV VUB/C 8-91: a fantasy restoration?
   GE Cooler: in pieces, my next project
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2005, 03:27:17 pm »

Here's what I have used before with great results, but like Terry stated, best results are from spraying with traditional spray equipment, not aerosol cans! And a little practice since this paint lays down a little different than automotive paints...

Hammerite Web Site

My six cents,

Jim

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2005, 05:15:59 pm »

Jim, which exact color on that site?
BryanH
Soda Jerks

Sweatin' in Arizona... but it's a dry heat!

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2005, 06:43:30 pm »

Jim - Hammerite is the UK brand that I referenced.  I searched their site for a list of US stores that carried their paint.  No luck. So googled Hammerite and found these guys MasterChem Industries.  Where do you get yours? How much did it take to do the tub (quart, gallon, more)?

PS - also found a pretty detailed set of instructions on how to apply it --> here

Thanks, Bryan
   Cavalier USS-96: unrestored, working on the back patio
   CV VUB/C 8-91: a fantasy restoration?
   GE Cooler: in pieces, my next project
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2005, 10:49:37 pm »

Sorry for the bad info; I did a quick search...
Tomorrow, I'll look at a can I have and get the information...

My six cents,

Jim

sodaworks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2005, 11:28:46 pm »

Quote (hartlenb @ Feb. 18 2005,10:32)
Terry where did you find Silver Hammertone?  What brand did you use and if you sprayed it yourself do you remember how much you had to cut the paint?  I've looked all over and haven't found anyone that sells it?  Have found a UK brand but nothing in the States.  I know it exists but must be asking for the wrong stuff or in the wrong places.

Hammerite is the brand I use. I buy it by the gallon, much cheaper that way. I get it through my automotive paint supplier. Hammerite paint is really thick so I add enough reducer to get a nice even fan spray. You will know if it is too thick because of spitting or clumping out of the gun. For best results I spray on the first coat horizontally, and wait approx. 10 minutes before the second coat is applied vertically. This technique works best for me. The reducer that is usually wasted in gun clean up I just pour back right into the gallon of hammerite. Hope this helps you. Terry

sodaworks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2005, 11:39:51 pm »

I thought I would try to get you guys more info. off of the paint can, Believe it or not I almost got sprayed by a skunk just now walking out to my shop, holy crap!! Here is a telephone # for hammerite, 1-800-325-3552. The color that I use is Silver Grey.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: