SMC Discussion Areas
May 12, 2024, 02:41:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone know?  (Read 2383 times)
« on: January 23, 2005, 12:56:56 pm »

Trying to find a source for "moving" backgrounds which may be done with polarized filters.  My idea is to retro-fit display areas in some machines to show a bubble effect in the word "soda" or moving water as in a "flowing" creek display, or to combine this with a color change effect.  Need info on where to get filters, mechanisms and printed overlays for front of sign.  Generally limited to say a 2'x3' or smaller area of machine.  Thanks!
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005, 01:32:17 am »

Welcome to the board!!

This could get tricky. Had a early 70's Coors sign that did what you would like (sadly destroyed in a house fire).
It used a clear wheel with best described as sqiggles on it with a light behind that. The face picture had small cutouts in the stream which made a nice rendition of a flowing water over a waterfall and in a creek. Miss that sign :-(

Gonna require some engineering to recreate. Seems like the Coors assembly was at least 4" deep. Using later small bulb fictures would help. Power is no worry but creating the parts and pieces will take time.

If money is no object one could have a great time with a flat panel display.

Let us know how it goes.
Best,
Creighton

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 10:39:04 pm »

Thanks..yes the flat panel was given much thought!!  Price is a consideration.  I remember that sign and that was what brought it to mind.  Some signs used a revolving inner filter with colors and merely rotated behind a stationary screen giving an "effect" like a fireworks burst.  Some of the flea market stands are selling "moving" pictures showing waterfalls, rivers and I wondered how theirs were done.  One web site for polarized filters has descriptions of products but I also may need art work also for front panel.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: