SMC Discussion Areas
May 04, 2024, 06:57:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Changing Light Bulb in a Cavalier USS-8-64?  (Read 11161 times)
burtonuts
« on: March 02, 2008, 10:58:26 am »

I have a Cavalier USS-8-64, Coca-Cola Machine, and I need to know what the
trick is to change the light bulb. There is not enough room to get my fingers in
there to turn the bulb.
Thanks for your help,
John
dr galaga
Soda Jerks

Sorry, but it's a POP MACHINE!

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 02:48:59 pm »

Which light bulb are you trying to change?

Brent
--------------
Cavalier CS-80C
Vendo 63
--------------
The ultimate glass bottle soda site: www.GlassBottleSoda.org
My gameroom: Arcade80s.net
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 03:03:44 pm »

Hello John,
Welcome to the board! Here's a cut and paste from a thread 2 years ago. Don't know how to link the whole thing.
Hope it helps.
Creighton

And there was light. Used a dremel with sanding drum to remove just a bit off the top of the receptical surfaces. The Philips bulb is a 1/16th shorter than the Slyvania, that helped. Used dishwashing gloves for a better grip and was able to install. Amazing how much joy can be gained from a working light. Here is a step by step.

Stuff you need:
New ballest. Mine was ok so wasn't changed. Will be soon though.
FS-2 Fluorescent Lamp Starter.
18" 15 watts (1" dia.) Cool White bulb.
Something 4 or 5"s long to prop the bottle door open.
Small phillips screwdriver
Very small file.
Rubber gloves and patience

What to try:
Unplug machine.
Open coin door and change the ballest/starter in the upper right corner.
Open main door and prop bottle door open.
Gloves on, remove the glass cover by sliding up until it clears the bottom catch. Screwdriver to lift bottom edge of glass past catch. Then slide down until it clears top catch. Clean and sit aside.
Now is the tricky part. The bulb pins need to turn 45 degrees to be able to be removed. Doesn't matter clockwise or ccw. If won't turn, drill small holes at the botom of the metal caps. Bend out cap with small needle nose pliars. Go slow and should be able to get the bulb out without breaking it.
Downhill from here. Use the small file to clean the contacts on the receptical clips. If the recepticals are not rubbing on the metal caps of the bulb just twist it place. If the bulb will not fit may need to Dremel the top of the recpticals. Or gently bend them down, your call.
Remove gloves, Remove door prop, Close main door and plug machine in. Light work? Hope so. If it blows the bulb to black on the ends bad ballast Unplug machine replace ballast.
Once working just replace the glass and you are done.
Please add any corrections or better idea's.
rogerz
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 05:12:01 pm »

If your talking about the bottle door light bulb, I used a nose pliers on the metal end to get a twist on the tube. I've also used a screwdriver to get it to turn. You only need to move it a little and then you can rotate it with your fingers.
Hope this helps.

rz
Rob_Feature

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 03:47:32 pm »

This is why forums are great...I have this question 6+ years later and the answer is still available...and still the same. Smiley

---------

-Bob
SodaNoob w/ a Westinghouse WB78 & Cavalier USS-8-64
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: