SMC Discussion Areas
May 04, 2024, 06:28:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: help with soda machine choices  (Read 6113 times)
hipburwig

« on: March 15, 2014, 04:35:50 pm »

hello everyone, I have a small question. I am new to all this soda machine stuff and no idea what to look for or what to even consider in buying one and how much to pay for one. I have a choice of a few not sure if any of them work but all look to be in fairly good shape as far as appearance goes. I would like to buy 2 of them 1 can and 1 bottle. wiil any of the do cans and bottles? as far as bottle goes can you put any bottle in there or is there a size limit. eventually I would like to make my own bottled soda and stick them in there if possible. here are my choices. some tags are a little hard to read.

vendolater faygo on sides 7up on front  model: VF56Z-F ser:25024V56 LOR1

vendo enjoy coke wood grain model:HA56-E mfrs:01C7030AE ser:ORF087935

LA Crosse 7up model:100 ILL ser:127599

*Westinghouse select-o-matic have a coke model: WB-60-K6-D ser:32519246246

cavalier model:CSS 64FS ser:480107   door does not line up well, don't see any major damage. compressor does not kick on just fan.

*vendo coke goes better model:H90B ser: 202020824

vendo 4 button model:v132 mfrs:01C1320AC ser:9MK006160

Westinghouse 6 button model:WB78-6B-20 ser:26514739
the 2 I like are the ones with * before them. any help on how much to pay or if there are ones to stay away from would be greatly appreciated.
thanks 
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 05:21:55 pm by hipburwig » Logged
Ltransam
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 09:01:36 pm »

Hello.Hipburwig

I see you found your way here . As I said while talking to you on the phone . The Westinghouse does 12 oz bottles most types or sizes .And as I'm told you can adjust it to vend cans with some tinkering
The Vendo 90 also is a good choice but it only vends 6-12 glass bottles and possibly some plastic water bottles .you stated to me the 64 had a bent door so that's out you said .
The Vendo 56 squire corner came with the option of a can stack  or a bottle stack the can stack has pull like lever on them and the bottle stack just requires you to pull the bottle out .

Len

« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 09:43:47 pm by johnieG » Logged

Glascock Counter Top
VMC 81 7Up
Vendo-110-81D-V-56 V-23
Jacobs Pepsi-56
Stoner Cookie &5 Pull Pastry& 180 Candy
Kelvinator FS-51(Canada)
Cavalier's C-55-E-C-55-D
Selmix Sprite
Selmix Pepsi on Draugh
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 10:09:24 am »

Of your list, I like the select-o-matics personally, would still like to add one to my collection at some point.

Jim

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 04:06:13 pm »

The Vendo 90 has a more classic look, but as it's been said it'll only vend bottles.

The Selectomatic is a good choice as long as the vend motor is working.  They will vend both bottles and cans, shim are needed for cans, if you can't find the original metal ones you can make some out of PVC, I did a writeup a while back: http://soda-machines.com/discussions/index.php/topic,15052.0.html

MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 11:41:35 am »

What to consider... first and foremost, buy what YOU like!

Here is the first thing that popped into my head, why are you limited to these machines? Is this what you see right now and you want to buy one right now?

Other things to consider....
Price point is key to a lot of machines. If its a nice original its going to be more then a fixer upper. You are better off posting pictures and prices for opinions to see if it is more unreasonable then asking for prices to pay. Its a little easier getting assistance that way because condition is key because......

Do you plan to restore these? If not, get the best condition one you can find and spend a couple of extra dollars up front. Be patient. You could put more money into it then its worth pretty quickly on most of these models just to get it going (or even worse if you go for the full Monty restoration job.)

The select-o-matic is a great machine, but not for huge money. I picked up a perfect working light up version of the 102 in basically mint condition one for $100 that was on CL for 6 months and they basically wanted it gone. (It was my foot in the door to see what else they had which led to actual artifacts from Paul Revere.... Really, the guy in the poem, you won't believe me anyway so I'll stop there) I figured it would be a good one for a garage machine. It has the can conversion in it and my wife likes it the best of all of my machines Oo (side note, I dropped it on its face moving it....  darn Didn't break the glass, just messed up the chrome trim.... Make sure you use straps on your dolly if they are there!)

If you're not planning to become an addict like us, do your research and see what you like, then find that one. You will be happier that way and save yourself the regret of not waiting for "the one"

Tim
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 12:52:29 pm »

Welcome to the site.  Another great multipurpose machine is the Cavalier USS series.  I have a USS-8-64 and it can vend just about anything under the sun--plastic, glass, cans and even the 155ml bottles of wine!

Even though it is a square-top machine, it still has the bottle door that was held over from the older round-tops.  There are a lot of these around so parts are not usually a problem.  If you are looking for something with greater capacity, they made a USS-96, USS-144 and USS-180--although they start to get pretty darn heavy and hard to move when you get beyond the 96.  The 64 probably weighs about 300lbs and does not have a very large footprint.  They can be purchased for anywhere from $100 to $500 depending on condition and where you are in the country.

Anyway, enjoy the hobby.  You have found the most valuable resource for collectors of soda machines!  I attached a picture of my USS 64 from back in the days when my collection consisted of two machines.  The Vendo 39 is the other machine pictured and you don't want to know how many machines I own or have owned over the years. Vending machines are like Lay's Potato Chips--you can't have just one!

drinking Tim drinking
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 12:55:40 pm by mznb1u » Logged
hipburwig

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 01:01:00 pm »

I'm not limited to these machines they just happen to all be in the same spot so I figured if I could get a good deal on one I pick some up. if I found the right machine I would restore it like an old round top. I used to have an old round top with a big huge metal drum inside of it probably 20 years ago but I sold it. I love the way the 90 looks so I'll probably pick that one up but I also love look at the Cavalier but the compressor doesn't turn on and the door does not line up with a little damage on the top right side of the shell  and I don't know what it would be worth because I know absolutely nothing about them. maybe later I'll post pictures of the Cavalier and someone tell me where I should pay for it since door don't line up and the compressor don't come on
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 01:15:19 pm by hipburwig » Logged
cohammer
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 08:06:45 pm »

I like any round top machine V - 39 , c72  and some  square machines V 23  c- 64 it is all about what you like . I have never told any body I don't like your machine.

Ideal 35 RC
v 23 deluxe
v 39
c 96
c 55 e
C 51 g
C 72
C96
V 27
Westinghouse JR ice chest
Westinghouse standard ice chest
Westinghouse master ice chest