SMC Discussion Areas
May 18, 2024, 04:05:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My first Coke machine.  (Read 3150 times)
ptolemy

« on: May 05, 2013, 09:03:25 pm »

Hello.  I'm new to the forum and this is my first post.  I just picked up my first coke machine as a project and wanted to introduce myself and ask a few questions.  I have a USS-8-64 machine which is in pretty good shape structually (no signicant rust, no major missing parts, etc..)  I plan to do a top to bottom restore of it since it was sitting outside on the guys porch and hasn't been used in several years.

Now on to where I stand with it.  It powers up, the compressor kicks in, all the lights work, the marquee is in nice shape and no major dents or rust.

Compressor runs but just puts out hot air.  I've already contacted Eric at Globalcompressors so thats covered.  I'm missing several items that I would be intersted in purchasing them if any members have a spare.

Missing Items:
1.  Bottle Opener Bezel
2.  Back Spacers for the shelves (previous owner pop-riveted homemade spacers to the shelves)

The machine appears to either be broken or in permanent free play mode.  What I mean is that all the selector knobs turn freely regardless of if power is applied to the machine or not.  I'm assuming something is mechanically disconnected to cause this otherwise folks would simply unplug the machine and get free soda (not likely I know).

I did find a normally open switch attached to the harness laying in the compressor area and when this is closed/opened I hear a click and the correct change light goes out.

Lastly it has a Vari-Price 50 coin mech installed and when i engage the switch on it it whirls and spins until I turn the switch off.

Thanks in advance for any/all assistance in getting this up and running again.  I promise to post pics of my restore efforts as this project progresses.

Mike

Cavalier USS-8-64
Williams Slugfest
Pac-Man
Ms. Pac-Man
Galaga
Donkey Kong
Centipede
BurgerTime
Police Trainer
Seeburg M100C
Kubota L3940 with forks (to get all this stuff off my truck!)
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 09:42:25 pm »

Hey Mike, welcome to the forum!  drinking

That's a great first machine, can't beat the versatility of a USS-64, it can vend just about any type of can or bottle and it's a great size.  I have owned a good 6-8 of them over the years and they are my go-to machine when someone is looking for one for the garage/basement/mancave.  I'll try to answer some of your questions, but probably need some other info back.

First off, you may want to consider what your plans are with the machine before doing a full restore on it.  The only reason I say that is there is generally a limit on max price that you're going to hit for the value of the machine.  If you sink a ton of money into it, you might not recoup your costs if you were planning on selling it down the road later.  Now, that being said, there have been some beautiful restorations of USS-64's by members on this site and they look great when they are done.  I have one that I have used for the last 7 years as my go-to machine in my basement, and I eventually plan to do a nice resto on the outside of it.  I plan on a dark Pepsi blue (mine is Pepsi branded).

As for the free vend issue, couple of things:
1. do the columns spin when they are empty?  There should be a flap at the front edge of the cradle (on the inside) that sticks up and prevents the column from turning when empty.  The previous owner may have bent those forward to get the free vend to work.
2. That N.O. switch that you found is part of the vending system, it is used to tell the coin mech to reject coins while the machine is in a vending cycle.  See my photo for a pic of the bottom of the back side of the vending stack.  There is a flapper (just below the left spring in the pic) that would normally prevent the columns from being turned.  A solenoid pushes that flapper to the right when the coin mech receives enough $, and you would then be able to turn one column.  The motion of the column then pushes the flapper back into position, again preventing the columns from being turned.  The N.O. switch is pushed to Closed State by the flapper during the vending cycle.
Sounds like there might be some rigging of that mechanism that is causing the free vend.  The stack is very easy to remove, take out all the shelves and remove the two screws in the top, you can then rotate out the stack, there are two pins in the bottom that hold it in place.  Helps to have a buddy the first time you take it out, can be cumbersome.

On the coin mech, you are engaging the 'inventory switch' (red I think?).  If there were nickels in the hoppers, they would be ejected when you do that.

You've got the right guy on the cooling system, there are a couple of compressor guys on the site and you can't go wrong with either of them, you will be happy.

Found two more photos I forgot I had, one of the vending during steady state, and the second of the flapper pushed by the solenoid allowing the columns to turn

ptolemy

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 11:00:43 pm »

Tkaz. Thanks for the quick and thorough response. The pictures are quite helpful. I will take out the rack tomorrow and let you know what I discover.   More to come!

Cavalier USS-8-64
Williams Slugfest
Pac-Man
Ms. Pac-Man
Galaga
Donkey Kong
Centipede
BurgerTime
Police Trainer
Seeburg M100C
ptolemy

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 04:30:35 pm »

tkaz,
   well i found the problem.  See attached pic.  It appears that someone disconnected the parts which prevent the cradles from turning thus creating a mechanical free play.  Good news is that they just tossed the parts in the bottom of the machine so it appears they are all there minus one bolt.  I'll try to get it put back together tonight and see if the coin mech et al works.  I have a manual but it is hard to see how the spring connects.  I assume it inserts into the hole on the U shaped part and connects to the frame.

thanks for the help so far.  It is truly appreciated.

Mike

Cavalier USS-8-64
Williams Slugfest
Pac-Man
Ms. Pac-Man
Galaga
Donkey Kong
Centipede
BurgerTime
Police Trainer
Seeburg M100C
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: