SMC Discussion Areas
May 18, 2024, 07:14:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Soda Machine  (Read 14315 times)
cjward22

« on: February 18, 2013, 11:09:45 am »

Finally approved to join the site!  This is my first Soda machine and first attempted restoration project!  I have attached some pictures of the machine I just purchased hoping for any advice or general convo about it.  I have searchwed and searched for a similar model but have still not found an exact machine.  It was obviously painted red by someone at some point in time.  I have decided to strip the paint using Jasco Stripper and am just doing general cleaning right now.  Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for all the good info you all have put out there!

-Chris
cjward22

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 11:37:36 am »

Tough Crowd
TheGarbageHunter
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 11:46:11 am »

Cool machine amigo!

Lots of good people on this site that will be more than happy to help you out!

Now start breaking that thing down and fire off some questions!

Garbage Gold Hunter
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 12:18:59 pm »

Welcome to the forum!  I wasn't able to find much info about a SelVend SS-64, like your tag says, it may have been a limited run machine.  Looks similar to some of the LaCrosse machines, with the vend door on the right side.

mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 12:30:23 pm »

Chris,

Welcome to the site.  I did some checking yesterday to see if I could locate some information on that particular model and came up empty.  I meant to post but did not get back to the site--darn work!  darn  I know I have seen one of those before and the ID tag looks very similar to a Vendo.  I agree with tkaz--probably a limited run perhaps even made by Vendo?

There are a few old posts on the site about machines from this manufacturer that did not turn up much.  Here is one:

http://soda-machines.com/discussions/index.php/topic,1231.0.html

I have seen at least one of those and it looks like a neat machine that should be a nice multi-vend machine if you can get it up and running.  If you are going to do a complete tear down, I would be very careful when removing parts as you may have difficulty finding exact replacements.  Some of the stuff for a Cavalier CSS 64 or a Vendo 63 like gaskets and such will probably work on that machine.  You should also take many pictures of everything before you tear it apart and while you are tearing it apart.  This can be an invaluable tool when it is time to put everything back together.

Post a close up picture and measurements of the coin return bezel and the bottle opener bezel.  I have a set of those that is in good shape and look like they might work on that machine.

Good luck with the project though.  If you have questions just ask away as the people here will help.  Include pictures with those questions.

drinking Tim drinking
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 12:34:02 pm by mznb1u » Logged
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 12:55:27 pm »

Best I can find about Selvend is some old tax filings:

For several years prior to and during the years in issue, the four corporations involved in the sale had their home offices at the same business address and were operated by essentially the same officers. Selvex manufactured soft drink vending machines which it sold to Surevend and Selvend. The latter two corporations, functioning as sales organizations, sold the machines to various bottling companies, such as 7-Up, Pepsi-Cola, etc. The management functions for these three corporations were performed by Selectivend which determined, for example, what products were produced by Selvex; the prices Selvex would charge for products it sold to Surevend and Selvend and the prices the latter two corporations would charge to their customers.

Selvex was dissolved on March 31, 1964, and its assets and liabilities were taken over by Selectivend. Surevend and Selvend were subsequently liquidated on June 30, 1965, and Selectivend was itself officially dissolved on October 16, 1967, and its assets transferred to taxpayer.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 12:57:30 pm by tkaz » Logged

cjward22

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 01:11:47 pm »

Here are some more pics.  Fan and coin unit both seem to be working.  Condenser works and is getting cold.  Wires are pretty banged up and should def be replaced.    All the shelves are there as are the lights as far as I can see.  Hopefully the pics do not show up sideways again.  I will get some better ones tomorrow when I get to have my mid-week cigar and fiddle with the soda machine night!
cjward22

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 03:25:43 pm »

Have been very busy lately but am finally getting some paint done.  Getting first coat of primer on and then planning on wet sanding, repeat with 400 grit and 500 grit.  After the wet sand then paint and polish (buff).  Added some casters to the bottom as three out of the four legs were broken off already (should have done this the moment I brought the thing home!) Anyway, still needs quite a bit of work and need to order some decals but at least its making winter in Indiana go by a little faster!  Hopefully you guys can tell me if my painting plan sound alright or not.  I am using Rust-Oleum High Performance spray primer and then gloss Rust-Oleum High Performance gloss paint.  Looking forward to the suggestions!
krovel
5 Cent Member

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 02:20:29 am »

Are you gonna use a spray can to paint it or does rustoleum come where you can use it in an air gun?

Just asking because I'm new at this and was just wondering.

Westinghouse WB-60 (single select)
Westinghouse WB102
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 03:11:11 am »

You can buy quarts of Rustoleum and thin to use in a spray gun. Low cost solution.
Better than rattle cans not as good as two stage base clear coat.
It's a soda machine not a Pebble Beach Rolls Royce restoration.
Do what fits your budget and makes you happy.
Creighton
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: