SMC Discussion Areas
May 06, 2024, 12:52:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help getting a (vintage?) coca-cola machine working!  (Read 29350 times)
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 07:17:53 am »

This frame should be able to be cut down.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COCA-COLA-COKE-MACHINE-BACK-LIT-SIGN-POSSIBLY-A-VENDO-GREAT-CONDITION-/380730191817?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58a549afc9

I am currently converting a V-56 steel sign to a lightup. Used a jigsaw with a guide to cut the center out. Will paint and plexiglass next.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 08:16:47 am by MoonDawg » Logged

Glen
Jwest7788

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 11:04:09 am »

Very cool, Thanks All! Great resources, If taking value out of the equation, any reason not to restore this thing? Calgary, AB, Canada, gets mighty cold in the winter, am looking for a project, but if there is a reason not to, will definitely respect the industry.

In regard to diagnosing this bad boy, I believe the solenoid is my issue, but haven't worked up the confidence to connect voltage directly to it, instead, rigged up a wire to function as a free vend by connecting the plugs 1&3 (closed the circuit temporarily), but nothing happened... This should signal the vend solenoid, correct?

On a side note,
Had a hell of a time figuring out which plugs to work on, as the diagram in the sticky has a different layout for the polarity index pin, but the numbers on the plug line up...:

Carrying right along,

Had the coin mech apart yesterday to, learn how it works, and to see if I could spot anything out of place, Noticed a part of the board.. "One of these things is not like the other ones"

If I've read the manual correctly, It's the "Zener Diode (Power Supply)"
I checked for resistance, as expected for a diode, lots one way, little to none the other. Any thoughts on this burning, as the diode appears functional? (I'm unsure what readings in particular I should be expected, maybe it's semi functional?)

The pricing switches (black and white) have three positions, Low, middle, high. I assume they should be set to either low or high, correct? (they were set to low and middle when I first got this thing open.)

The $.05 wire was bent, and not being actuated as expected, bent back into position now. Tested, No "change".  glare

One of the coin wire switches seems to operate opposite the other two, Is "normally open, momentary closed" instead of "normally closed, momentary open". (I might have those backwards, will test again shortly)
--> Is this normal? --> the switches appear to be wired the same...

Thanks for taking the time to try and wrap your head around this! I'm sure these newb troubleshooting threads come at you all the time, I'm thankful to have continued support!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 01:30:12 pm by Jwest7788 » Logged
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2013, 11:21:07 am »

Here's a great thread on the diode replacement, sounds like they were experiencing the same issues as you: http://soda-machines.com/discussions/index.php/topic,17824.0/all.html

MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2013, 11:54:34 am »

You live in Calgary, that's my home town!  happydrinkers

That changes everything. Since I have family there I often check Craigslist ads and Alberta has none. Vancouver seems abundant though.

So obviously if you have one of the only machines in town, your value goes way up. Go ahead and paint it, you'll enjoy the results.

Glen
Rebel
25 Cent Member

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2013, 12:41:08 pm »

Is this your size ...............http://www.ebay.com/itm/COCA-COLA-COKE-MACHINE-BACK-LIT-SIGN-POSSIBLY-A-VENDO-GREAT-CONDITION-/380730191817?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58a549afc9
Jwest7788

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2013, 01:54:32 pm »

Awesome stuff,
Tkaz, That's super helpful, they have definitely the same (or super similar) issue. Though I have no idea where to get the replacement parts, will work towards the fix shown (fingers crossed!)

Moondawg, Awesome! happydrinkers
Yeah, I was super pumped to come into ownership of this machine, I don't know, or haven't even header of any locals with one. (though I'm sure they're around!)

Rebel, Will confirm measurements shortly!
--> Won't be home till sunday, but will keep all posted as this project moves forward! Hopefully in the end some of this can help the next guy too!

JW

Jwest7788

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2013, 02:47:57 pm »

Oh, Moondawg.

Here's a helpful tip too!

In my neck of the woods kijiji.ca has much much more popularity than craigslist.
You may have better luck on kijiji when hunting for goods in calgary Smiley

JW
Jwest7788

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2013, 12:29:19 pm »

An update for everyone.

Finally got a switch to use as free vend while I await the diode and capacitor that need replacing.

I believe I was correct that a new solenoid is in order. Upon hitting the button, my solenoid made some less than appealing noises, puked out black smoke, then lit on fire.

Fortunately the fire immediately went out and I had the foresight to plug in the shop vac (hepa filter) for just such an occasion.

Anyone know where to get one of these solenoids in Canada?
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2013, 01:03:18 pm »

I believe I was correct that a new solenoid is in order. Upon hitting the button, my solenoid made some less than appealing noises, puked out black smoke, then lit on fire.

LOL  biggrin

P.M. me your address and I'll send you one.

Glen
Jwest7788

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2013, 01:59:36 pm »

Sent. - Thanks!

I'm not going to lie, it was the most anti-climatic button push I've come across in, literally, years.

Decided to move forward and make this thing bright and shiny. Will be sure to post lots of pics along the journey.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: