SMC Discussion Areas
May 05, 2024, 03:39:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help getting a (vintage?) coca-cola machine working!  (Read 29347 times)
Jwest7788

« on: September 25, 2013, 08:39:55 pm »

Hey all. New here. Looking for any help I can get towards getting this machine vending!

Picked it up as trade for a broken, rusty, dirt bike. Am totally happy with it regardless of value.

The seller identified it as a "cs-96d"
My research found the "CSS-96" which shows the same model in these photos:
http://soda-machines.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=285&I...

The machine is a functioning fridge, but does not dispense any soda. Sad

The coin mech seems functional (it's newer than the rest of the machine, says 1978 on it.
Spits quarters to the return when the machine is off, accepts the quarters to the catch when plugged in. (Dozens and dozens, just never let's the bottles out. )

I am unsure of the condition of most of this, or how jimmy rigged it all is.

I'll attach whatever images etc I can below, but here are my questions:

There are two wires to the left of the coin mech that come down from the female portion of the jones plug (speaking like a pro. Haha). Any idea what they are for, or meant to be connected to? Right now they end with two couplers, but don't reach anything....

On the inside of the machine (refrigerated portion behind the door) is what appears to be a solenoid and a switch that I assume turns off the solenoid after a pop is taken. How do I test the solenoid a functionality?

Also the machine runs off a house outlet, is this standard? What's the voltage of this bad boy?

Oh to restore or leave as is? I'm pretty good with metal, paint, plastic, and glass, but this is my first venture into the vending world!)

Anyone know a resource to get the a replacement metal moulding?
Am missing the left hand side, and a square one around the coke logo...

Thanks all!

Written in my cell, but a Post with pics, and a video of the (solenoid? + Switch..):
https://plus.google.com/103237332554732591344/posts/SykroE4cQw6

Will add photos here directly tomorrow morning.
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 09:03:52 pm »

Welcome to the forum!  Best place you can find for answers, lots of experience here.  Nice machine, everything looks to be in place, minus the couple issues you outlined. 

Quick question on the coin mechanism...did you try running dimes and nickels through it and see if it vends?  There are some microswitches with wires that trip, one for each coin type, and they can get out of adjustment.  Just curious, it's a good place to start.

Another thing to look at is wiring up a free-vend switch to verify, here's a how-to: http://soda-machines.com/discussions/index.php/topic,871.0.html

Yes, these run off 120V, they tend to pull some amps as the compressors get older, but may trip if you put on a GFI outlet.

Jwest7788

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 09:37:45 pm »

Thanks tkaz.

Did run a bunch of coins through, seems to be working as expected:
Separates nickels to their tube holders, quarters and dimes to the cash catch (and kicks the odd one out to the return as expected)

The electro magnets click when I plug the machine in, not totally sure their point but all seems as
Expected.

Though, no matter how much cash I out in it keeps taking more coins, never let's pop out.
When the proper cash amount in inserted, should it start rejecting coins or...?

Is the solenoid the same voltage?
--> 120V directly to the solenoid prongs feels like a bad way to test...

Thanks for your quick reply!
Am really excited to work with this machine. Smiley
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 08:13:06 am »

Welcome Josh!   

You can give that coil 110 volts momentarily to verify it is working, but I believe your Coinco is not recognizing coins.
Replace it as they are cheap, or go freevend as stated earlier.

We have some unwritten rules here at SMC. We do not paint nice original machines......and yours is as nice as they get. happydrinkers
Use a rubbing compound on the red paint. The white Coke sign can be converted to a glass light-up sign and that's what your extra 2 wires
are for. Keep your cost down on this tall machine and use your body and paint skills on the next one comming your way. It may be next week or next month, but more machines will be following you home!  biggrin

Glen
Jwest7788

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 11:06:11 am »

Thanks, Will look into paint restoration / polishing. Will be good experience for me regardless.

Think buying a fresh coke decal for the top is an acceptable medium between restoring, and not doing anything permanent? haha
Think the rusty sign can be polished or anything without the need to paint it?

Is the light supposed to blink when coins are inserted?
--> Seems it's a little on the blitz, blinks sometimes, turns off completely others. Can't find any material explaining the expected functionality, so am a little lost in that regard.
-----> I have a circuit tester and multimeter, just not sure where to begin...

I can tell this is a great community, thanks for your help!

Few questions I still have:

I Am missing the left hand side one (goes the whole height of the machine), and a square one around the coke logo...

When the proper cash amount in inserted, should it start rejecting coins?

Will test that solenoid later today and get back to all.

tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 02:52:42 pm »

I would try wiring up the free vend switch to test before dropping the $$ on a new coin changer.  You should be able to make it for under $5 and it will tell you if the solenoid is good. 

In addition, hook up your circuit tester or multimeter to the two solenoid terminal and see if it gets 120V after coins are run through the changer.  If you have a continuity test on the meter, touch the two terminals and see if there is continuity.  That should tell you if it's bad. 

No need to drop a bunch of money without doing a couple of quick tests.

Rebel
25 Cent Member

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 05:54:45 pm »

Thanks, Will look into paint restoration / polishing. Will be good experience for me regardless.

Think buying a fresh coke decal for the top is an acceptable medium between restoring, and not doing anything permanent? haha

Is the light supposed to blink when coins are inserted?
--> Seems it's a little on the blitz, blinks sometimes, turns off completely others. Can't find any material explaining the expected functionality, so am a little lost in that regard.
-----> I have a circuit tester and multimeter, just not sure where to begin...

I can tell this is a great community, thanks for your help!

Few questions I still have:

I Am missing the left hand side one (goes the whole height of the machine), and a square one around the coke logo...

When the proper cash amount in inserted, should it start rejecting coins?

Will test that solenoid later today and get back to all.

New to this hobby but have a lot of years in building cars and custom metal work and think your display is beyond any polishing due to the rust spots which as you can see, have come through the paints, which means there is no paint left in those spots. I'll leave it up to the pros here on what's best to replace or maybe best to repaint. These guys will have an answer. By the way,,good clean machine. Good luck and have fun. I am.

MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 06:17:16 pm »

Ok, let's put this into perspective for our newbies who have not made the mistakes we have.

This tall C-96 is worth about $300.00.  Paint it and make it pretty and it's will sell for...........................about $300.00

A cavalier 64 is worth about $300.00.  Paint it and make it pretty and it will sell for ...........................about $1000.00

Glen
Rebel
25 Cent Member

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 08:32:58 pm »

Ok, let's put this into perspective for our newbies who have not made the mistakes we have.

This tall C-96 is worth about $300.00.  Paint it and make it pretty and it's will sell for...........................about $300.00

A cavalier 64 is worth about $300.00.  Paint it and make it pretty and it will sell for ...........................about $1000.00

but not much he can do with the display.
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 09:50:28 pm »

Here's a start on the sign...there's some way's to wire up fluorescent lights you can get at Home Depot or Lowes to work as a backlight for these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COCA-COLA-DRINK-MACH-BY-CAVALIER-CSS-12-96-SIGN-WITH-FRAME-/270913017237?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f13ac9595

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: