SMC Discussion Areas
May 09, 2024, 05:16:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cornelius Compact  (Read 31077 times)
halehouse
Soda Jerks

« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2009, 03:33:38 pm »

You will have to feed what is inside the chest down through the hole in the bottom of the chest. That's what I did and then fed it all back up through again at the end.

Vendo 63 Stylestar (Restored)
Glascock Standard
Cornelius 50 Slider (Restored)
wampdawg
5 Cent Member

« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2009, 06:47:01 pm »

Well, I got the cooling unit out when I got home this evening and got a good look at the bottom of the chest.  It is in worse shape than I thought.  The rust was just falling apart when I would touch it, so I went ahead and knocked off a lot of the loose stuff.  Looks like a new bottom of the chest is in the works.  down

There is a hole under the rust where insulation used to be.  I think some spray form insulation should work for that though.

These pics are before I knocked off a lot of the loose rust.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 08:23:02 pm by wampdawg » Logged

Wamp

Cornelius Compact 72 (My 1st in the works)
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2009, 08:14:15 pm »

As plentiful as these machines are why don't you use yours for parts and look for another one to restore.
wampdawg
5 Cent Member

« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2009, 08:22:24 pm »

As plentiful as these machines are why don't you use yours for parts and look for another one to restore.

Haven't seen any others near by.  I have seen 1 on CL in the Cincy/N KY area for $125 and doesn't look any better than mine.

Wamp

BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2009, 11:36:39 pm »

Wampdawg,

Before putting too much effort into your machine, you might put your own ad on Craigslist.  I would like to pick up a Corny Compact myself just to mess around with.  So I put a wanted to buy ad online.  I posted a pic of a Cornelious and asked if anyone had one for sale.  I got two responses in a week.  One from a guy who must of thought his was going to morph into a V81 based on the price he wanted and one from a lady who just wanted to get it out of her garage.  I picked it up for $30.  Once I got it home it turned out to have major rust  issues with the cabinet, but the chrome rack, coin mech, and evaporator mounts were in good shape, so I pulled them out and hauled the rest to the recycle place.  I spread the word and already have a line on a Cornelious 150 that has always been inside and looks like a brand new machine.  Its in an office building and if they decide to get rid of it I can have it for the effort of hauling it off for them.  My point being that they are fairly plentiful and Craigslist can be your friend.  I will probably wait a couple of weeks and post again to see if I can dig up another one.  Also, many thanks to Loman for his response to an earlier message.

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
1959 Williams Pinch Hitter
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
wampdawg
5 Cent Member

« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2009, 04:00:44 am »

I have put an ad on Craigslist with a pic of the machine.  No hits on it yet.  I may put one in the local paper as well.  I know Dan put a new bottom on his but do not know how hard that would be to do it.  I only gave $20 for it at an auction, so I don't have too much invested in it yet.  And I only have a few hours of my time invested in it so far, just been something to do when I get home from work for about an hour or so.

Wamp

loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2009, 04:14:10 am »

Maybe just seal the rust with POR15 and fill the hole woth jbweld or something like that and spray the inside with truckbed liner like someone else on here did. That will probably work. Or even just lay down some fiberglass in the bottom then use the bedliner. it would be hard to see the work you did in the bottom once the bedliner is sprayed in. Its not a valuable machine so just make it functional and that is all you need.
halehouse
Soda Jerks

« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2009, 06:28:42 am »

I have put an ad on Craigslist with a pic of the machine.  No hits on it yet.  I may put one in the local paper as well.  I know Dan put a new bottom on his but do not know how hard that would be to do it.  I only gave $20 for it at an auction, so I don't have too much invested in it yet.  And I only have a few hours of my time invested in it so far, just been something to do when I get home from work for about an hour or so.

I haven't put too much money into mine. My dad's cousin did the bottom of that chest at no cost to me.

Glascock Standard
wampdawg
5 Cent Member

« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2009, 10:08:06 am »

I haven't put too much money into mine. My dad's cousin did the bottom of that chest at no cost to me.

What did he use for it?

Wamp

halehouse
Soda Jerks

« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2009, 12:47:22 pm »

What did he use for it?

I'm not sure what "grade" steel he used for it, but it is riveted on and you can see it in the thrid posting of this thread.

Glascock Standard
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: